Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:03 PM   #26
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
The Fusion drive is for people who don't know how to, or don't like to, manage their files, i.e., move files like photos/videos/songs/etc. to a "data drive."
I thought it was for people who can make better use of their time than moving files around, and who realize that the OS can do a much better job at putting files or parts of files into the best place.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:26 PM   #27
gcortes
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to gcortes Send a message via MSN to gcortes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1 View Post
I learned the hard way that typing a lot of text into a web browser is risky. And it isn't just session time-outs that can erase a lot of work. These days I copy the text as I write or input text into a word processing program and then transfer it to a web browser.

As far as drive failure goes... I had a brand new Toshiba drive die within two hours after I had a repair shop replace a dead drive in an iBook. The shop fixed it for free but I had to pay for shipping and wait another week or so for the iBook to be returned.

Backups? At least two on the premises and another via CrashPlan...
I usually copy text as well. Then everything goes well for several months and I forget.

I believe it's generally recommended that you have three copies of files you don't want to loose. The RAID 1 will make two and and Time Machine backup to IOSafe makes three. I've used RAID 1 and 5 on my PC's and have had three drives fail in them.
gcortes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:06 AM   #28
MacOSXuser
macrumors regular

Is Fusion drive better than having 2 SSDs?
MacOSXuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:55 AM   #29
gcortes
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to gcortes Send a message via MSN to gcortes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOSXuser View Post
Is Fusion drive better than having 2 SSDs?
The Mac Mini Fusion drive has a capacity of 1TB while the SSD's are 256GB each. Unless you configure the SSD's as RAID 1 you still have two points of failure. Configure as RAID 1, you will only have 256GB total capacity.
gcortes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:10 AM   #30
MacOSXuser
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcortes View Post
The Mac Mini Fusion drive has a capacity of 1TB while the SSD's are 256GB each. Unless you configure the SSD's as RAID 1 you still have two points of failure. Configure as RAID 1, you will only have 256GB total capacity.
So essentially the fusion drive is a hybrid drive?
MacOSXuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini