Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sinergy123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
I want to use an external monitor connected somehow to my MBP (just got it from the apple site a couple months ago).

I am using this for music production, so my idea was to get the monitor in order to see MORE off the screen not just magnify everything.

At first I got a mini display to VGA. There was no way to actually see more on the monitor screen. It was also really messed up, sometimes color would just go crazy, or if my mbp went into sleep I would have to reconnect everything. Or sometimes it just simply did not want to detect the mbp.

I went and got a mini display to HDMI as I read that would work better. No such luck. The picture on the external monitor no longer distorts and stays connected, but the color and quality is washed out looking and yet again, it only magnifies the image on the mbp, there is no "overscan" option that I read about.

This is a brand new Acer 23" monitor, there is no reason the quality should look crappy or faded like it does. And how on earth can I see more than just what I see on my macbook.

This is ridiculous. Is all this trouble to just connect an external monitor. Is this simply a ploy by apple so you buy there ripoff thunderbird or whatever display.

Help please... I'm tired of buying and returning cords, and now I feel as if I wasted money on this external monitor...

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
So your MBP does not does not do thunderbolt or HDMI....only Mini Display Port? And what type of ports does the monitor have?

MikieMcBikie

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
TN
are you wanting a second display(not mirrored)? or are you thinking you can do more than make your macbook screen larger with a larger external display?

:confused:

Sinergy123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
So your MBP does not does not do thunderbolt or HDMI....only Mini Display Port? And what type of ports does the monitor have?

On the side of my MBp I've got the minidisplay port, firewire and ethernet...

The monitor has VGA, HDMI, and DVI-D

are you wanting a second display(not mirrored)? or are you thinking you can do more than make your macbook screen larger with a larger external display?

:confused:

I want a second display; In the sense that I can see MORE rather than enlarge everything. Does that make sense? Cause mirroring what is on my Macbook screen does me no good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.