Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:06 PM   #1
nagareru
macrumors regular

Separating a Fusion drive

Hello comunity. I am planning on getting a future imac with a fusion drive. I have read there are some issues on how the drive performs in real life situations. i.e. how smart it is in moving files from the ssd to hdd and viceversa. And would like to know if any of you, fusion drive owners, has tried to separate them so that the system sees both ssd and hdd as distinct drives.
nagareru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:47 PM   #2
hfg
macrumors 68020

Yes, it is easy to separate the drives and revert them back to normal SSD and HD drives. It does require using a couple of Terminal commands at this time. Future upgrades may add that function to Disk Utility to make it easier. If you look at the threads on this forum for creating "Fusion" drives on older computers, you will see the Terminal commands used and there are additional commands to undo those operations.

You will have to restore all your data, so make sure you have a good backup before you start.

On the second page of this article is even shows the steps necessary to revert a Fusion drive back into the native drives:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11...-fusion-drive/

In my experimentation with "Fusion" on a Mac Mini and MacBook Pro I have built, broken, and re-built the Fusion drives several times for different configurations.

-howard
hfg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:50 AM   #3
nagareru
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
Yes, it is easy to separate the drives and revert them back to normal SSD and HD drives. It does require using a couple of Terminal commands at this time. Future upgrades may add that function to Disk Utility to make it easier. If you look at the threads on this forum for creating "Fusion" drives on older computers, you will see the Terminal commands used and there are additional commands to undo those operations.

You will have to restore all your data, so make sure you have a good backup before you start.

On the second page of this article is even shows the steps necessary to revert a Fusion drive back into the native drives:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11...-fusion-drive/

In my experimentation with "Fusion" on a Mac Mini and MacBook Pro I have built, broken, and re-built the Fusion drives several times for different configurations.

-howard
Thank you for your reply.
nagareru is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini