Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:42 AM   #26
BruceEBonus
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to BruceEBonus
Watt...I want to know is. What a sad state we are now on when Apple thought it a great idea to change their dock connectors for no other purpose than for changes sake and incur s of unnecessary extra cost to it customers. Talk about cynical. Oh no. Sorry. These lightning connectors are really great aren't they? Smaller. Slimmer. Lighter. Thinner. Smaller.
Oh no! What am I saying? They're a pointless and unecessary 'upgrade' and have no discernible/practical advantage overt the old 30 pin other than being...smaller, lighter, thinner ... Unless that's the whole point is it?

Paying forty quid for a car charger. That's alright isn't it? Worth the extra readies for .... Oh no ... What am I saying ... It's the biggest case of Kings Clothes Syndrome since .... Well ... Please enjoy the cash outlay whilst I use my PoundLand adaptor for me 4S will yIu pleased. Cheers
BruceEBonus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:45 AM   #27
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

I've got the 2x 10watt USB charger from Wal-Mart and its awesome as it only cost$20 too
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:46 AM   #28
canesalato
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceEBonus View Post
Watt...I want to know is. What a sad state we are now on when Apple thought it a great idea to change their dock connectors for no other purpose than for changes sake and incur s of unnecessary extra cost to it customers. Talk about cynical. Oh no. Sorry. These lightning connectors are really great aren't they? Smaller. Slimmer. Lighter. Thinner. Smaller.
Oh no! What am I saying? They're a pointless and unecessary 'upgrade' and have no discernible/practical advantage overt the old 30 pin other than being...smaller, lighter, thinner ... Unless that's the whole point is it?

Paying forty quid for a car charger. That's alright isn't it? Worth the extra readies for .... Oh no ... What am I saying ... It's the biggest case of Kings Clothes Syndrome since .... Well ... Please enjoy the cash outlay whilst I use my PoundLand adaptor for me 4S will yIu pleased. Cheers
O_o too much coffee
canesalato is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:26 AM   #29
MH01
macrumors 68040

Yay, most expansive charging accessories around. $30 for a charger..... DAMN!

Awesome to see LB going the way of TB, next we need some really overpriced docks

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceEBonus View Post

Its called Milking sheep
MH01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:26 AM   #30
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

Scosche makes really cheap crap with absolutely no design sense or style that remotely compares with other brands. I wouldn't touch Scosche products with a stick.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:52 AM   #31
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Scosche build quality is absolute trash. It feels like those chinese eBay/dealextreme accessories. I can't believe they're asking that much.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Yeah, I'd rate them a little under Griffin or Belkin but they are pretty reputable.

Lightning Strike. Aha, I get it.
In my book, being under Griffin or Belkin isn't a very good thing.
To answer the original question, from my experience, no, Schosche is the worse accessory company that sells at those kind of prices.
pgiguere1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:52 AM   #32
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

How about a nice dock? The one belkin released last week is bulky and ugly.
ghostface147 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:57 AM   #33
Boatboy24
macrumors 6502

Still too expensive. Still not buying.
Boatboy24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:08 AM   #34
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

Sound like counterstrike gun names
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:10 AM   #35
Ed217
macrumors member

[QUOTE=Smallworld69;16292108]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabhatter View Post

I do wonder how that 12W + 12W adapter will work. I don't think my car's fusebox can actually PUSH that many Watts out one power point. I think most fuses for auto accessories are 5 Amps and 10 Amps (this is close to 5 Amp off one power point) but they are also pushing other stuff, not just power points. This may be too much.[COLOR="#]

It has more to do with Amperes than it does Watts. And most all USB devices pull anywhere from 1-2.2 Amps.... Your cars cigarette lighter is usually tied in with something like interior lights or something along those lines, and usually on a 10amp fuse. Should be more than enough to handle charging 2 iDevices...
The equation for power is basically P = I x V, where I is amps and V volts. Most car systems are 12V. So 12W is 1 amp at 12 volts. So a 5 amp fuze would carry 50 W, which is fine for a 12+12 charger.

Many accessory plugs may have much higher fuze ratings as they have to power things that take more than 50 W. I think many will have a 15 amp fuze to power things like a cig lighter or an air compressor for tires.
Ed217 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:11 AM   #36
harpster
macrumors regular

"We designed our Lightning chargers with PROFIT in mind"
harpster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:14 AM   #37
mdntcallr
macrumors 65816

While i am glad there are new Lightning Connector products coming out, the prospect of me picking up anything with removable tips/connectors is not going to happen

Just don't like that type of product.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:17 AM   #38
ibicudo
macrumors newbie

Lightning keyboards

Do you think there will be any external keyboard for ipad mini?

I would love to be able to carry a small typewriter like ipad
ibicudo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:25 AM   #39
jrz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
Yup, that's what I just did. Just bought a couple of additional lightning cables for our cars to use with our existing in-car USB chargers.
I don't get the benefits of paying $29 or more for a car charger when you can buy a $4 dual USB charger for your car. Am I missing something- is there a benefit I am not seeing with these (of the Scocshe products vs. simply plugging the lightning cable into the cheaper car charger)?
jrz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:25 AM   #40
xionxiox
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpster View Post
"We designed our Lightning chargers with PROFIT in mind"
Um yes, I'm pretty sure that's what they're suppose to do to earn a living.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:51 AM   #41
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Mophie! Where are you with your case??? So it shouldn't be long before we hear other companies announce their accessories with lightning?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:00 AM   #42
inlinevolvo
Banned

Micro usb to lightning adopter, 8.5 shipped from our friends in china. Now I can use my droid charger, and the half dozen micro usb chargers I have accrued.
inlinevolvo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:08 AM   #43
KanosWRX
macrumors regular

Wow, since when did cables get so expensive... wait I guess they always have been. But these just seem outrageous!! Another reason Apple should be forced to use micro usb as a standard. Would make the world of connectors much easier and give consumers a better choice over adapters and prices. These lightning adapters are just more ways apple gets a few more bucks from its customers!
KanosWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:25 AM   #44
truettray
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibicudo View Post
Do you think there will be any external keyboard for ipad mini?

I would love to be able to carry a small typewriter like ipad
Get a bluetooth keyboard.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:33 AM   #45
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Finally a hard-wired, coiled car charger! This makes me happy

I am currently using a regular USB cable in my car and I very much dislike it.
DDustiNN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:15 AM   #46
Ed217
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanosWRX View Post
Wow, since when did cables get so expensive... wait I guess they always have been. But these just seem outrageous!! Another reason Apple should be forced to use micro usb as a standard. Would make the world of connectors much easier and give consumers a better choice over adapters and prices. These lightning adapters are just more ways apple gets a few more bucks from its customers!
Cables from Apple have always been expensive, about $19. Before lightning one could find third party iOS cables on EBay for about 2$. Today they are about 10-12$ on EBay (and many of those dont yet work at all). Amazon had a deal last week for about $9 delivered and time will tell whether they work well.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:26 AM   #47
John.B
macrumors 68040

I'm at a loss to understand why the major charger manufacturers like Belkin and Scosche continue to sell hardwired charges in this age of USB connectors. Instead of being able to replace a bad cable or a bad charger, you have to replace the whole unit? Who buys these things? Is it just because people don't know any better?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:33 AM   #48
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
From what i see here, their target market is people who have more money than they have sense.

I think that they will do very well with their line of iPhone and iPad accessories.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:46 AM   #49
derek4484
macrumors 6502

50 bucks for a car charger!!??!!

Holy smokes that's expensive. I really dont like buying knock-offs but I will NOT spend $50 for a car charger. EBay knock-offs here I come!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinevolvo View Post
Micro usb to lightning adopter, 8.5 shipped from our friends in china. Now I can use my droid charger, and the half dozen micro usb chargers I have accrued.
Does it work properly? Or is it only good for charging? The Lightning connector has a built in microchip that automatically adjusts pin functionality.
derek4484 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:48 AM   #50
Ed217
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
I'm at a loss to understand why the major charger manufacturers like Belkin and Scosche continue to sell hardwired charges in this age of USB connectors. Instead of being able to replace a bad cable or a bad charger, you have to replace the whole unit? Who buys these things? Is it just because people don't know any better?
Depending on the car, sometimes the hardwired ones are smaller and less likely to be damaged by shift levers or hand movement. Some of the standalone charger parts are longer and stick out further. That coupled with a firm USB connector sticks out even further. More than once I have had such combinations get giggled loose from power from hand/shift movement.

However given that, I still prefer the separates so that when one quits you only change it out. I normally carry one or more extra chargers and cables all the time in the car.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion