Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustAVoter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Well, I was hoping to get a little more life out of the old girl before I replaced her early next year when my bonus hits, but my old, late 2008 (and purchased in April 2009 as a refurb) MacBook Pro may have bit the dust. It's an MB133LL/A (http://support.apple.com/kb/SP4) - the last of the non-unibodies.

However, this model does feature the infamous 8600M video card and I wonder if that card is to blame. The recall for these is still active (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377). I know that only the Apple store's mysterious diagnostic tools can say for sure, but I won't be able to go until this weekend and I'd like an early diagnosis from others who have been through this.

Symptoms are as follows:
- Laptop was functioning normally. I closed the lid for a few minutes and came back to it. Upon opening it, the laptop's monitor would not come back on. The power indicator light was a solid white (not flashing), and I could hear the fans and the hard drive, I believe, operating.
- I performed a hard reboot. The laptop came back into the same state - nothing on the screen, the power indicator light a solid white, and what sounds like the fans and hard drive working.

So, what's more likely? Apple telling me this is the logic board (and I'm screwed), or this is the video card, and I get a new logic board?

Thanks in advance for your input!

CrimsonStrider

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Bring it in to a store and have them do a check. I'm sure you're nice enough and don't let up, I'm sure you can get a free repair even though it's been a little longer than 4 years.

I remember having my card replaced once as well. I remember having a distorted screen though. If I remember correctly only a small part of the screen was initially distorted so I could continue using it, but I think at one point the display stopped working entirely. Since you didn't mention any distortion issues, it's safest to take it in and have them diagnose it, or wait for someone a little more knowledgable to post.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
consult this website:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/MacBookPro_video_failure.html#storytop

Especially the latest entry about the suggested technique for black screen: turn the laptop on (without battery) and let it heat up until it's insanely hot. Let it cool down completely, if the luck is with you, it will actually start up. The over-heating resets the solder on the 8600M.

In the days up to my Genius appointment, I reset the black screen 5 times using this method.

the object of the exercise is to get it so that it will actually start up prior to the Genius Bar test. Now, many Geniuses need reminding about Apple's 4-year extended warranty, but they all should have the test handy on a USB drive.

Hopefully, the 8600M will fail the test, or the laptop will develop the black screen during the test--which will be the smoking gun.

The Genius may say that the black screen isn't the specific problem covered under the 4 year warranty. Just be sure that it's properly noted in the case notes. Take it back later for an appointment with a different store or a different Genius. Some are more helpful than others???

Be sure to report back!

PS: The 4 years start at date of purchase, so you still qualify.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.