Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:12 AM   #1
glocke12
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
question for non-dog people

I am a dog person, as are many of my friends...Id even say I am one of those people that consider their dog to be a member of their family, often times choosing to spend a day going out for a hike with my furry friend instead of spending time with noisy people friends who just want to sit around and really not do much other than drink alcohol.

Also, let me say that my dog is fairly well behaved. She listens, she doesnt jump on people, she won't climb on your furniture, and she want pee in your house.

Now, when I do go out to visit friends that are dog people, I usually don't have any problems. These people like the attention she gives them, which usually just amounts to a wanting to get petted, than she goes away.

Now, when it comes to non-dog people the non-verbal communication I get ranges from "get this animal out of my face", to looks from them that appear as if they think I have 4 heads when I set there and pat my furry friend on her head.

So, my question to these non-dog liking people, what is it about dogs you do not like, and what is it about us dog owners you find strange?
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:00 AM   #2
twietee
macrumors 68020
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I don't own a dog, but always wanted to. Unfortunately, I don't live in the right environment to keep one or two [read: city].

That said, I understand that people don't like to be licken by animals who for example inspect very closely every 'pie' on the street.
I also find it always very bewildering to see people talk to their animals as if they where human beings (screaming, pandering, smalltalk. etc.). That always comes across very nasty imho and happens very often. Forgot who said that, but dogs will never start speaking French with you, so one shouldn't pretend as if they would do some day.
Third reason would be, that not all of them are as well trained as yours or have the proper owner. Some made just bad experiences in their childhood.
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:07 AM   #3
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 601
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Personally, I like dogs a lot and get on very well with them. I don't have a dog, because I travel a lot, and am frequently away for months at a time - sometimes at fairly short notice.

However, I suspect that people who don't like dogs may be a little afraid of them; in fact, I'd go as far as to suggest that many of those who are uneasy in the company of dogs (something which dogs will pick up and sometimes react to, which will reinforce their negative attitudes even further), may have had an unfortunate experience with dogs when they were little kids.

If, when you were a child - a large dog rushed you - particularly if off the lead, and with no owner around to control it - you might well be scared; or a dog hurling itself at a gate, snarling furiously, as a child passes. This will imprint itself on you, especially if there is no adult or child-minder around to explain why the animal is behaving the way it does (scents fear; is territorial; whatever...) Sometimes, a badly trained, or mistreated animal can react with aggression to kids (and adults).

If a small child has experienced any of this, it could lead to long term deeply-held emotions and responses to dogs. Besides, a child is not usually going to tell other kids that they are afraid of a particular dog or of dogs in general (for fear of being mocked, perhaps), so will internalise the fear and, alter, will justify and rationalise it.

Then, again, there are people who actually get on better with animals, especially their dogs, than with people. Other people don't usually like to be told that an acquaintance, friend, or relative prefers dogs to people, and may well react antagonistically if informed that such a view is held by their interlocutor. Even if you do think it, I'd recommend that you keep that particular thought to yourself.
Scepticalscribe is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Tilpots
macrumors 68040
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
I've never really been a pet person but have lives with several dogs I truly did love. Having said that, I'm not a fan of other people's pets in my house. The hair, the drooling, the worrying about what they'll do to my house is just not fun.

I also have a small child and I just don't trust animals. I've never personally been bitten but in an instant, a dog could change my child's future. It's not worth it for me to take that chance. How many post-dog attack stories start with "But X is ALWAYS such a sweet pup..?" Yeah, no thanks. Keep your dog at home or leave them outside when you drop by.
Tilpots is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:54 AM   #5
lewis82
macrumors 68000
 
lewis82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
The problem with most people who are uncomfortable with dogs, other than being afraid of them, is that they don't know how to interpret their language.

A dog who jumps on someone entering a house sure is annoying, but is not necessarily agressive, but rather happy.
lewis82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:02 AM   #6
twietee
macrumors 68020
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
I've never really been a pet person but have lives with several dogs I truly did love. Having said that, I'm not a fan of other people's pets in my house. The hair, the drooling, the worrying about what they'll do to my house is just not fun.

I also have a small child and I just don't trust animals. I've never personally been bitten but in an instant, a dog could change my child's future. It's not worth it for me to take that chance. How many post-dog attack stories start with "But X is ALWAYS such a sweet pup..?" Yeah, no thanks. Keep your dog at home or leave them outside when you drop by.
I agree. Don't have children up to now, but since one dog p!ssed all over my furniture and precious books they stay outside. Call me conservative, but that's not gonna happen again. Leave alone that kids stuff you've mentioned. But besides that, they're my best buddies.
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:09 AM   #7
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Although I'm a dog person I think it is very important to be cognizant of your surroundings. Like you said, not everyone enjoys having a dog all up in their kool-aid. My dog is 40 pounds of pure muscle. She doesn't drool but she may as well be called a pitbull since she is in the same breed family (staffy). People fear her for that reason alone and it can be a problem. If I am out in public I generally ask if my dog can approach them and likewise, they ask if they can approach my dog. If you're in my house you just need to put up with it because you're the visitor, not her.

You are the owner and it is your sole responsibility to ensure your dog is not a nuisance to others in public. If you also know that certain friends aren't dog people then perhaps you need to leave the dog at home. My aunt is deathly afraid of all dogs. When she has visited I have offered to put my dog in day care for the day and she declines. She says this is my dog's house and she's the visitor. She deals with the dog best she can but I also make certain my dog behaves (doesn't jump up on her or the furniture my aunt sits on). I'm overly accommodating even when I don't need to be. But for you, I go back to if you're bringing your dog to a friend's house and you know they're not dog people (or they don't have a dog) then don't. I find it terribly rude to bring a dog into anyone's home without asking first.

If you're a responsible dog owner then this should all be a no-brainer for you. And know that people who are dog lovers may not receive your dog well either. My mom's dogs have longer hair and generally kick up allergies that only seemed to be an issue after I left home. They're bigger than my dog and they drool a lot more. I hate everything about that because it feels like I can never be clean there. However, I'm a guest in their home basically so I have to accept it.

From what I know, most people who don't like dogs or people who do not like all dogs have problems with their drool, their apparent filth, and their inability to really obey. Depending upon the size of the dog, that dog can screw something up fast.

@Tilpots, I completely understand your fear. My dog has never bit anyone that I am aware of and the other day she ran at my neighbor's kids while they were playing. She looked scary but I know the bark and I know that dog. She wanted to play with them and thought that their ball was an invitation to play. She scared the crap out of the family and I still feel badly about what happened. It was not a well-received incident at all; not that I expected it to be. Regardless of how sweet my dog is and how many times I push my face into hers and come out unscathed, I would never just drop by with my dog in tow unless I knew she could come inside. You're right, things could change in an instant. I know this from first-hand experience.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:23 AM   #8
Iscariot
macrumors 68030
 
Iscariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronteazy
I imagine non-dog people feel the same way about dogs that I do about babies and small children. It's not just a desire not to interact with them, it's also a lack of experience that may result in the child or myself becoming very uncomfortable or getting hurt. I don't know how to hold a baby, I don't know what is and isn't age appropriate for a child, I know nothing of the line between playing and scaring*. Since a dog tends to be much bigger than a child, the capacity for catastrophe is as well. If you have no desire to learn, the fastest route to preventing an undesirable outcome is to end the interaction as quickly as possible.


_______
*Obviously I know not to shake or hit a kid, I'm talking about slightly more nuanced behaviour like toys, and playing catch or guns or nerf, etc. Many of my friends and family have small children, and I generally ask to have my interactions as scripted as possible until they're about 5, at which point "uncle iscariot the wicked sweet weightlifting videogame playing knows every comic book character ninja" kicks in.
__________________
Don't feed the you-know-what.
Iscariot is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:36 AM   #9
wordoflife
macrumors 604
 
wordoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Republic City, URN.
Some people just aren't comfortable with how dogs work ... being licked and so on.
__________________
"When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change."
wordoflife is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:40 AM   #10
Tilpots
macrumors 68040
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
@Tilpots, I completely understand your fear. My dog has never bit anyone that I am aware of and the other day she ran at my neighbor's kids while they were playing. She looked scary but I know the bark and I know that dog. She wanted to play with them and thought that their ball was an invitation to play. She scared the crap out of the family and I still feel badly about what happened. It was not a well-received incident at all; not that I expected it to be. Regardless of how sweet my dog is and how many times I push my face into hers and come out unscathed, I would never just drop by with my dog in tow unless I knew she could come inside. You're right, things could change in an instant. I know this from first-hand experience.
Responsible dog owners such as yourself have never bothered me. They get it. As well as they know their animal, they realize that I don't know them at all. And as you mention, at your house its on me to be the guest and at my house its on you. Some folks take the pet-as-family idea too far and expect me to treat them as family also. I just can't do it.

Really though, most dog owners I know are the responsible kind and as they respect me and my house and family, I respect them and theirs, including the pet.

Side rant: Pet owners should be respectful of park rules prohibiting animals within a certain perimeter of playgrounds. This is neutral turf, but pets have NO place inside that protected area. I can't tell you how many times a person will stroll up to the park with their pet and head straight for the playground so their dog can get all the attention from the children. It's wrong and it's dangerous. Of course the kids will flock to the animals because they have no idea. And while some parents are OK with it, many are not. The rules are rules for a reason.
Tilpots is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:42 AM   #11
twietee
macrumors 68020
 
twietee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscariot View Post
_______
*Obviously I know not to shake or hit a kid, I'm talking about slightly more nuanced behaviour like toys, and playing catch or guns or nerf, etc. Many of my friends and family have small children, and I generally ask to have my interactions as scripted as possible until they're about 5, at which point "uncle iscariot the wicked sweet weightlifting videogame playing knows every comic book character ninja" kicks in.
To be honest, that's quite easy and identical with almost all the dogs I played with and regardless how young/old or of what breed they are. Get a ball. Throw it.
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:50 AM   #12
iJohnHenry
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On tenterhooks
Dogs live to sniff. It's their thing.

Once you accept that, it becomes a non-issue, if you just let them make the first move.

I'm reasonably sure that they can sense fear, perhaps misinterpreting it as aggression.
iJohnHenry is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:52 AM   #13
quasinormal
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica
My dog is 40 pounds of pure muscle. She doesn't drool but she may as well be called a pitbull since she is in the same breed family (staffy).
It is unfortunate that the American Staffordshire Terrier is sometimes confused with the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I cannot speak for American Staffies, as I don't think I've ever met one, but the regular Staffie is one of the most friendly dogs I can imagine. Pitbull type dogs are actually banned in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Bull_Terrier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...dshire_Terrier

I suspect this question would be better directed to "cat people".

My guess would be that some people are uncomfortable with dogs because their fear creates a feedback loop with dog who reacts to that fear by being frightened itself and attacking in extreme cases. My experience is that nearly all dogs react well to a friendly forward and confident approach.

Maybe some people just don't like the pack mentality of dogs or maybe they just prefer cats, like myself. Just a tip, if threatened by a pack of wild dogs, stand your ground, don't turn your back and avoid eye contact.
quasinormal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:02 AM   #14
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
[snip]
Again, good pet owners know these boundaries. I don't want your child in the confines of the dog park I frequent and likewise, I won't bring my dog to your playground off a leash. There are parents who let smaller children in the dog park and while there is a sign about no kids under 13 allowed, they ignore it. That's also a recipe for disaster.

I think overall most dog owners are quite aware of their boundaries but there are exceptions, I'm certain of it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by quasinormal View Post
It is unfortunate that the American Staffordshire Terrier is sometimes confused with the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I cannot speak for American Staffies, as I don't think I've ever met one, but the regular Staffie is one of the most friendly dogs I can imagine. Pitbull type dogs are actually banned in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staffordshire_Bull_Terrier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...dshire_Terrier
My dog is incredibly friendly but she carries that burden of the breed with her and I completely understand people for it. I was incredibly against this breed and really found myself in a dilemma when I saw her. It was important to see her interact with cats because I have a 10 year old house cat who never had to really deal with another pet. I was advised not to bring in another pet with my cat and I obeyed that for a decade. I simply wanted a dog so badly and felt that I had everything else in place so the dog was a natural next step for me. That being said, the first purchase I made was a fence. It didn't come right away when I got the dog but I got one because it was the responsible thing to do knowing that my dog gets excited and bolts to people she knows. This breed doesn't redirect well, if at all.

Regardless, while I talk about the very animal who cuddled up with me this morning after my alarm went off in hopes that I'd stick around in bed longer, I know what she is and what she means to others. I simply could not live with myself if she ever hurt anyone.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:06 AM   #15
heehee
macrumors 68020
 
heehee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Same country as Santa Claus
The thing is not all people like your dog as much as you do. Can you imagine every single parent with their new born goes up to you and have you carry their kid?
heehee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:12 AM   #16
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604
 
thejadedmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pa
Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Some people just aren't comfortable with how dogs work ... being licked and so on.
My girlfriend has a tiny Pomeranian. It's not going to hurt me, and in fact she just might like me more than her "real" family. Having said that, dogs just aren't my thing and I'll humor her for a few minutes but then I'm done. I just don't want a puppy in my face.

I'd rather a cat that comes over and wants to be pet, but doesn't really care to jump all over me.
__________________
MacBook 17" MacBook Pro iPod Nano Apple TV
PS4 Custom Windows 8.1 Desktop WP8
"Good judgment comes from experience,
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:44 AM   #17
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816
 
Zombie Acorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
My bull terrier loves to hunt. She kills possums/raccoons back in Kansas (hunting is what they were bred to do), but she is the friendliest dog ever and never touches house cats (maybe plays with them a bit). She grew up in a house of cats/dogs though, so that is what she is used to. Even though I trust the dog, I wouldn't leave children unsupervised with it. I've seen kids try to ride her and do all types of other stuff though and my dogs tail just keeps wagging as she found something else to play with that has as much energy as she does.

I am definitely a dog and a cat person, so I also don't understand why people recoil at the sight of a dog. Most people I know had bad experiences as kids if they don't like dogs as adults.
__________________
--2.6 C2Q 4gb DDR3 GTX 260-Win 7--
--2.0 CE Macbook Alum-Leopard--
Zombie Acorn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:26 AM   #18
Mousse
macrumors 65816
 
Mousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Mended Drum, Ankh-Morpork
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
So, my question to these non-dog liking people, what is it about dogs you do not like, and what is it about us dog owners you find strange?
I don't much care for dogs. But I don't paint all dog owners with a broad brush. In fact, my best friend is a dog owner.

The only time I have issues with dog owners is when their precious little "pookie" leaves little tokens of appreciations on my lawn, under my trees and on my driveway. My entire neighborhood are filled with these flea bitten curs who refuses to pick up after their mutts. I can't remember the number of times I've complained to the HOA, the number of times I've confronted them. Nothing gets done.

I'm in the process of filming their crime (yes, we have pooper scooper laws here) and sending them to the authorities. Hopefully, the see the amount of $$$ the can collect in a single day to make it worthwhile to send an enforcement officer to patrol the neighborhood. At $75 a poop and several hundred inconsiderate dog owners, that should keep their animal control coffers well stocked.

Not all the pet owners are morons here though. I've seen one or two who bring a plastic bag to clean up after their pedigree.

In short, I only hate irresponsible curs who don't clean up after their mongrels. I like considerate pet owners and their dogs too.
__________________
D'oh! (_8(|)
Mousse is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:38 AM   #19
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020
 
Macky-Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
dogs simply don't know anything about the human concept of personal space.....and while dogs find the mutual sniffing of butts to be a pleasant form of greeting, they don't realized that's not customary among humans
Macky-Mac is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:42 AM   #20
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Maybe the OP should change the title to "anti-dog people" because when I read the title I thought it meant people without dogs.

I don't have a dog but I love dogs. If I could have one where I live I would.
So I'm a "non-dog person" but not "anti-dog".
__________________
Throw us one Russell---John Fox Super Bowl 48
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:45 AM   #21
0dev
macrumors 68040
 
0dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
I think dogs are a bit too intrusive and all up in your face. Plus they're very distracting and can be very loud. And big ones have the ability to **** your house up if they're not trained properly.

I have nothing against dog owners, or even against a well behaved dog, but they just aren't for me.

Plus cats get you more internet points.
0dev is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:02 PM   #22
filmbuff
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I'm a "Cat person". I don't have a problem with dogs. I might even get a dog if I ever get out of this apartment... But it does make me a little uncomfortable when I walk into someone's house and their dog runs up and starts licking at my hand, and keeps licking and sniffing at me while I'm trying to talk or do something

Also has anyone ever noticed that dogs hardly ever make eye contact, and if they do they usually bark? Cats will have a staring contest with you all day if you want. It makes me trust the cat more not to do something unpredictable.
filmbuff is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:32 PM   #23
MyDesktopBroke
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I'm happy you love your dog - I know how important that relationship can be. But I really don't like it when dog owners assume we all like being tackled, licked, and/or drooled upon by their pet.

Nobody should have a problem with you show affection for your dog, especially if it's in your own home, but don't be that guy that sees your dog about to knock a kid's ice cream cone on the ground and goes, "haha watch out! He's gonna get it! He loves ice cream!"
MyDesktopBroke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:44 PM   #24
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
I don't so much have a problem with dogs, as with dog owners.

Both my wife and I have had bad experiences with dogs in the past. Whatever. Once we are properly introduced to a new dog, we are fine with them.

However... when we see a dog that we don't know rushing us, don't call out from 30 metres away "It's OK - she's friendly!" No, it's not OK - we are scared and uncomfortable and no matter what you say... a rushing dog is freaking us out a little bit. Take the time to let us get to know the dog properly, and at our own pace. Once we have been properly introduced we are fine with dogs. We know where to scratch them, where to thump and call them a good boy or girl.

Also... No, "a few scratch marks" in the hardwood floor is not going to add "a lived in" look. When we installed the floor, it was because we like how it looked without a dog scratching it up. If we owned a dog, we would have opted for a different surface. So, when we ask you to minimize the time is in the main part of house ... it's not because don't like the dog, it's because when we designed and built the house it didn't include a dog's presence. We built the house with a slate floor in the attached studio because slate is durable, and we go to considerable trouble to clean up the studio and make it suitable (and safe) for your dog when he/she is inside. We also fenced in the backyard. It's a wonderful place for your dog to roam and play. We don't actually mind the 'presents' your dog leaves, and we will work with you to create a wonderful dirt pile for your dog to dig in.

And finally - we have a cat. We got her from the shelter, and it's (now) obvious to us that she has had issues with a dog (or dogs) in the past. That time your dog pushed past you in door to get in, and then chased our cat through the house and up the screened window certainly didn't help. And the fact that I had to pull the dog down and back outside because you couldn't control it didn't help my disposition either. This house has a cat, and we know have to great lengths to make our cat comfortable when your dog visits because at the 1st sight of your dog she scoots under our bed. And stays there for the weekend, except when she scoots into our washroom where we temporarily set up her food, water, and litter.

We know you love your dog, and it's like a member of your family. And therefore we really bend over backwards to accommodate your 4 legged family member. But... it is very disruptive to our lives as well. It's a good thing we like you... because if it was just the dog...
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:47 PM   #25
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I live with two cats who i care for a great deal but I grew up with dogs. A dog is something of a lifestyle choice. I really love taking care of friends' dogs when the people go out of town, and the dogs love it too. I always make a point of bringing them out to the mountains or the parents' farm so they have some out-of-the-city time to run forever.

Theres a pub near my house that is very pro dog. It is normally well occupied by bedogged patrons, and decorated in hardwood.
Orange Crane is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC