Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:26 AM   #26
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
How's the back speaker? Please tell me louder than the GN?

You're in a great position to compare GN to Nexus 4 for those of us that are coming from the GN. Much appreciated.
Ever so slightly louder from what I'm hearing but that flat back looks like it has some serious muffling potential.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:29 AM   #27
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
Ever so slightly louder from what I'm hearing but that flat back looks like it has some serious muffling potential.
A bumper can help with that
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:33 AM   #28
Ericcc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
To everyone in this thread who managed to get one, I'm jealous of all of you. I managed to get the Nexus 4 in my cart 5 times, only to have it snatched away from me.
Cheer up, we'll get ours soon enough. I've had mine in the choose delivery address / payment page, but the final BUY button didn't finish loading -.- I'm in no hurry. Just want to get one in the upcoming months.
Ericcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:43 AM   #29
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericcc View Post
Cheer up, we'll get ours soon enough. I've had mine in the choose delivery address / payment page, but the final BUY button didn't finish loading -.- I'm in no hurry. Just want to get one in the upcoming months.
I wish I could be like you. I have that, "I need it now" mentality, and it makes me obsessive haha.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:15 AM   #30
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
I wish I could be like you. I have that, "I need it now" mentality, and it makes me obsessive haha.
Welcome to my world. I just went out and looked at the LG Optimus G, the phone the Nexus 4 is based on, to at least have "some" kind of contact with the thing.

Actually I am very tempted by the Optimus G. For $200--with 2 year contract extension--I get the 16GB model with a memory slot and LTE. AND I would get full use of the LCD as it has separate capacitive nav buttons. Anyone know of a reason this phone is not a good choice too, besides the contract extension?

Mike
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:24 AM   #31
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
Anyone know of a reason this phone is not a good choice too, besides the contract extension?
Well, you're giving up total Android purity, but I doubt it's a huge issue for most. On the other hand, total Android purity is a driving factor in my desire for the N4, so maybe it matters to you as well.

The contract extension isn't a big deal if you'd likely stay on the same carrier anyway.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:32 AM   #32
Marco123
macrumors 6502

Chaz the phone looks great, hard to believe what they're selling it for unlocked.
How fast does the phone seem and how does the quality feel?
Thanks.
Marco123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:38 AM   #33
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
Well, you're giving up total Android purity, but I doubt it's a huge issue for most. On the other hand, total Android purity is a driving factor in my desire for the N4, so maybe it matters to you as well.

The contract extension isn't a big deal if you'd likely stay on the same carrier anyway.
Yea I think the purity was a factor in my Nexus 4 interest. And after dealing with longer and longer times waiting for a jailbreak on my iOS stuff I don't think I want to deal with encrypted bootloaders or whatnot with a carrier modified/crapified device.

Plus I want updates when Google releases them. Not a vague promise.

Michael
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:42 AM   #34
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco123 View Post
Chaz the phone looks great, hard to believe what they're selling it for unlocked.
How fast does the phone seem and how does the quality feel?
Thanks.
Feels very nice in the hand. The materials around the bezel give a good grip to the phone but it is very slippery when placed on a material surface. My iPhone is always sliding off the arm of my chair and I can see this suffering the same problem.

Speed wise, no issues yet. Tested a few games and all was well. It does get warm when in use when charging though.

No glaring faults popping out at me just yet!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:45 AM   #35
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

In other news you would think I just signed on to the Communist Party the way some of my friends are treating me. I have always been the go-to guy for anything Apple and they just can't imagine me getting an Android device. Not only my friends, but even my girlfriend's friends are using the "T" word about me (traitor). Oh well.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:52 AM   #36
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
In other news you would think I just signed on to the Communist Party the way some of my friends are treating me. I have always been the go-to guy for anything Apple and they just can't imagine me getting an Android device. Not only my friends, but even my girlfriend's friends are using the "T" word about me (traitor). Oh well.

Michael
Same here haha. A few of my friends "you will go back to apple"
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:54 AM   #37
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Ah, but we're doing it purely out of love for Apple.

Without competition, Apple will stagnate. By buying and promoting Android products from Google, we help Google to compete with Apple, thus helping Apple.

It is a thankless task we do, but do it we must.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:09 PM   #38
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Same here haha. A few of my friends "you will go back to apple"
I got and get that too. I had and have to remind them that I DO still use a mac for work, plus several other macs personally including a mb air--and an iPad and Apple TV. But because I might no longer be using an iPhone I have given Apple the finger lol.

Michael

----------

Quote:
Ah, but we're doing it purely out of love for Apple.

Without competition, Apple will stagnate. By buying and promoting Android products from Google, we help Google to compete with Apple, thus helping Apple.

It is a thankless task we do, but do it we must.
I am going to steal some of this for my rebuttals.

Michael
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:34 PM   #39
onthecouchagain
Banned

Trivial question, but how's the 5 rows of icons in the App drawer? Looks a bit cramped...?
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:34 PM   #40
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:

Michael
Same here but people still come to me for an iPhone charger so I actually still carry one with me
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:38 PM   #41
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Trivial question, but how's the 5 rows of icons in the App drawer? Looks a bit cramped...?
It does make things look slightly busier but I didn't even notice the extra column of icons until a couple of hours into using it. There is a lot less black space between the icons but it's just as usable.

Last edited by ChazUK; Nov 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: swipe keyboard fail
ChazUK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:23 PM   #42
rrl
macrumors regular

Some of you people could use some new friends. They sound like douchers full of douchebaggery.
rrl is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:31 PM   #43
Vitrum
Banned

Any comments regarding wireless charging ?
Vitrum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:44 PM   #44
inselstudent
macrumors 6502a

IMO the speakers and the camera are worse than my those of my iPhone 4. Other than that the phone is awesome. First time android for me...
inselstudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:46 PM   #45
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitrum View Post
Any comments regarding wireless charging ?
The orbs haven't started being sold and we don't even know their price yet.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:49 PM   #46
Vitrum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
Do you know about other wireless charging "docks" ? Or nexus 4 will only work with the orbs.
Vitrum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:50 PM   #47
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
True, but any Qi charger should work.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitrum View Post
Do you know about other wireless charging "docks" ? Or nexus 4 will only work with the orbs.
There have been reviews using other Qi chargers without issue. I think the orb will look cool, but it's not required.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:56 PM   #48
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
True, but any Qi charger should work.

----------

There have been reviews using other Qi chargers without issue. I think the orb will look cool, but it's not required.
yeah, this is one I saw used in a review. It has poor amazon ratings b.c people are complaining about having to have a case on their phone. The nexus has that feature built in, so a case is not needed. Oh, and the fact is is ugly as sin

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Qi-E...i+charging+pad
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:57 PM   #49
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Not sure I'll be bothering about the conductive charging at all really. If something comes cheap enough that works maybe I will.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:01 PM   #50
Faux Carnival
macrumors 6502a

Can you make a Nexus 4 vs. iPhone 5 browser speed test video? 10 heavy websites on the same wi-fi network.

Interestingly, I wasn't able to find one on Youtube. Thanks!
Faux Carnival is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Tags
android, google, nexus, nexus4