Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1176
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
My understanding is that doing that to modern batteries these days is bad for its health?
I dont know TBH, Im happy to accept that though. I will say I never let it run till it stopped, just till it was low. It seemed to help.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:08 PM   #1177
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Anyone else's Nexus 4 get pretty hot when in use for more than 1 minute or two?

Also - how do I enable "push" email data (I think it's "sync" on here, but all my email accounts say its off with no option to turn it on).

Nexus 5 | iPhone 5S, 5C | Lumia 520 |iPad rMini, Air | Kindle Fire 7" HDX
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:01 PM   #1178
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Quote:
My understanding is that doing that to modern batteries these days is bad for its health?
By the time the battery stops functioning from treatment like this it will either be replaced by a new phone or broken. In cases of people who use the phone for a few years i don't think it will be a problem still.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:01 PM   #1179
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 6502a

I got my Nexus 4 today. The first thing I noticed is that the colors/saturation and contrast/gamma are horrible. Everything looks very bright and washed out, and blue looks almost purple because of it. I didn't notice that on the one I played with at the store, but it was brightly lit and I didn't spend much time on it.

Now I understand what people are complaining about with it being washed out. It doesn't even look good compared to my iPhone 4S, which looks bad compared to newer IPS screens like the iPhone 5 and the One X. Also, this one is yellow tinted when viewed from straight on. If I tilt it to the right, it becomes whiter. When tilted to the left it stays yellow.

I love the phone otherwise, so I don't know what to do. I'm not interested in rooting and using custom ROMs and kernels, and it looks like that is the only option to correct the colors and gamma, but that won't fix the yellow tint.
Lava Lamp Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:48 PM   #1180
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
I got my Nexus 4 today. The first thing I noticed is that the colors/saturation and contrast/gamma are horrible. Everything looks very bright and washed out, and blue looks almost purple because of it. I didn't notice that on the one I played with at the store, but it was brightly lit and I didn't spend much time on it.

Now I understand what people are complaining about with it being washed out. It doesn't even look good compared to my iPhone 4S, which looks bad compared to newer IPS screens like the iPhone 5 and the One X. Also, this one is yellow tinted when viewed from straight on. If I tilt it to the right, it becomes whiter. When tilted to the left it stays yellow.

I love the phone otherwise, so I don't know what to do. I'm not interested in rooting and using custom ROMs and kernels, and it looks like that is the only option to correct the colors and gamma, but that won't fix the yellow tint.
I remember you saying how well the display was after seeing the N4 in a store. I thought that was kind of odd since to me my 4S seems much brighter and more vivid. I do think my N4 has a nice display though; once I get used to looking at it and adjusting it. Unfortunately it only seems to come close to my 4S when I crank it the display up to at least 50%--which hurts the already marginal battery life.

Of course in my case I really like the amoled display on my Note 2, which you also do not like. (If I am confusing you with someone else, my apologies.)

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:15 PM   #1181
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
I remember you saying how well the display was after seeing the N4 in a store. I thought that was kind of odd since to me my 4S seems much brighter and more vivid. I do think my N4 has a nice display though; once I get used to looking at it and adjusting it. Unfortunately it only seems to come close to my 4S when I crank it the display up to at least 50%--which hurts the already marginal battery life.

Of course in my case I really like the amoled display on my Note 2, which you also do not like. (If I am confusing you with someone else, my apologies.)

Michael
Yeah, that was me.

It really seems strange to me that the Nexus 4 colors are like this. Now that I've seen it I can't adjust to it. I don't understand why Google or LG would have done this. I read some comments on another forum that the Optimus G doesn't have this issue and looks much better than the Nexus 4 when they are compared to each other. The Optimus G may seem washed out when compared to AMOLED, but at least the colors and gamma on it are accurate when compared to other IPS displays.

I called for an RMA tonight. I think I'm just going to wait for the GS4. Maybe they'll release it with the Screen Mode setting for the US this time. I really do like the Android OS and larger screen, though. It's going to be hard sticking with the iPhone 4S while waiting for news on the GS4.
Lava Lamp Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:07 AM   #1182
Fed
macrumors 6502

What energy saving applications do people use?

Also, has anyone noticed a difference in battery life when using Exchange push? The battery life seems to have utterly plummeted since syncing with the corporate e-mail. Whereas with normal Google Mail, it was fine.

Last edited by Fed; Feb 5, 2013 at 04:28 AM.
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:48 AM   #1183
onthecouchagain
Banned

http://www.androidauthority.com/andr...launch-153819/

Couldn't come fast enough. But also hope they're bug testing thoroughly.

EDIT: Could be a fake. But either way, 4.2.2 certainly needs to come, and more importantly, it needs to address the battery issues.

Last edited by onthecouchagain; Feb 5, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:53 PM   #1184
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Funny story with AT&T

I've been having a really hard time keeping a data connection when away from home. I thought I was on the wrong data plan with AT&T because it shows up as "Unlimited with Smartphone", but I read somewhere online that the plan should be "Unlimited with 4G Smartphone" and because AT&T's computers don't register the Nexus 4 as a 4G device, I thought you had to give AT&T the IMIE number off another 4G phone to fake them into switching the plan, I didn't know if there was a difference between them.

(Some of you already know how this will go down, but I'm new to all this)

So I snagged the IMEI off of a display Samsung GS3 at Best Buy and gave this little trick a try on AT&T's customer service online chat. The first rep was a female, I gave her the number without knowing that it was a digit short. So, in a panic, I closed out. I found another number online and tried again. This time it was a dude on the chat and thru my lie, he knew exactly what I was trying to do. This sneaky bastard had a Nexus 4 himself, lol. He told me I was on the right plan and helped me change my APN settings (again, this is the 3rd settings I've tried). We'll give this a try, I haven't left the house yet to see if it works or not. My signal only shows an 'H' above the signal bars, but apparently it'll show an 'H+' up there as well sometimes? I've yet to see the 'H+', but hopefully I can just keep a connection for longer than 3 seconds now.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:52 PM   #1185
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

What are these bugs people are experiencing? I have yet to notice any.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:14 PM   #1186
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Anyone else's Nexus 4 get pretty hot when in use for more than 1 minute or two?

Also - how do I enable "push" email data (I think it's "sync" on here, but all my email accounts say its off with no option to turn it on).
I use K9 email for this reason. Could never get push to work with stock Android email app.
strausd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:29 AM   #1187
mcman77
macrumors 6502a

Can anyone help me out. I remember reading a post that someone managed to change between lock screens - ie a different lock screen at home and a different one at work.

I want to do this, I want to turn off my screen ( without power button ) and the screen goes off. But when I use the power button for example, it will require a pattern or lock to unlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strausd View Post
I use K9 email for this reason. Could never get push to work with stock Android email app.
Its easy, when in app, tap the bottom right corner ( the dots ) to show the options/settings then click Sync options then click Check Frequency then click Push.
mcman77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:09 AM   #1188
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcman77 View Post
Can anyone help me out. I remember reading a post that someone managed to change between lock screens - ie a different lock screen at home and a different one at work.

I want to do this, I want to turn off my screen ( without power button ) and the screen goes off. But when I use the power button for example, it will require a pattern or lock to unlock.

Its easy, when in app, tap the bottom right corner ( the dots ) to show the options/settings then click Sync options then click Check Frequency then click Push.
The option for push is never available for any of my email accounts in the stock app. So I switched to K9 and push works on all of them.
strausd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:36 AM   #1189
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
The option for push is never available for any of my email accounts in the stock app. So I switched to K9 and push works on all of them.
Ya me either - if you use Power Toggles, there is a toggle you can set to put Sync on for all of your accounts....

After I did that I noticed check boxes next to all of my accounts that correspond with whether sync is on or not....

Using K9 anyways because I like to have ONE email app where I get my mail, not two (stock email + gmail app were both giving me notifications) plus I like the customization and UI better on K9.

Thanks for the tip!

Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:26 PM   #1190
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Does anyone have a good email app for non-Gmail accounts other than the god awful stock email app? I'm tired of being super-zoomed into every email I get and not being able to zoom out of it.
Sylon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:19 AM   #1191
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Does anyone have a good email app for non-Gmail accounts other than the god awful stock email app? I'm tired of being super-zoomed into every email I get and not being able to zoom out of it.
See above posts.....

K9 is pretty nice - I'm liking it so far.

Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:59 AM   #1192
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
See above posts.....

K9 is pretty nice - I'm liking it so far.
Nope, same problem. I don't understand why emails have to be super zoomed in when you open them. You can read a damn thing when the only thing you can see is the top left corner.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:04 AM   #1193
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Nope, same problem. I don't understand why emails have to be super zoomed in when you open them. You can read a damn thing when the only thing you can see is the top left corner.
Ha sorry - I didn't finish reading your post, and TBH, most of the mail I get is junk so I rarely actually read it. Just noticed the zooming thing.....odd.

If you find one that doesn't do this I'd like to know as well - the iOS mail app may be relatively archaic, but it works extremely well and I've always been a fan of it.

Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1194
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

The Nexus 4 is $49 thru Feb 18th for new customers on T Mobile
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:05 PM   #1195
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

Anyone have any idea as to when the charging orb will be available?
Frankied22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 03:52 PM   #1196
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/02...per-changelog/

It's not 4.2.2 but it's an update with bug fixes, including better battery management.

Hurry and release it google!
Are there any updates on this "update"?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:38 PM   #1197
Knowimagination
macrumors 6502a

Is now a bad time to buy the nexus 4?

I have been wanting to try a nexus phone for a while and I am planning on selling my wifes 4S, giving her my iPhone 5 and buying a Nexus 4 to use for myself. The Nexus still seems like it is a new enough device to give me a good android experience but I don't want to get in too late either.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:12 PM   #1198
mcman77
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Quote:
Using K9 anyways because I like to have ONE email app where I get my mail, not two (stock email + gmail app were both giving me notifications) plus I like the customization and UI better on K9.
Quote:
Does anyone have a good email app for non-Gmail accounts other than the god awful stock email app?
I don't see why you can't create a Push option for the stock mail app. Its under settings in the Check frequency option of Sync Options.

Anyway this is what I recommend doing, it will also save your battery as you wont have multiple emails syncing and you get a nice app with gestures too.

Forward all your emails from your old email, lets say mac@hotmail.com to your gmail account.

Go into your gmail account (in a browser) under Settings and then go to Accounts.

Add another email address and save.

A email will be sent to your address mac@hotmail.com address requesting permission to send emails from your gmail as if it was sent from mac@hotmail.com

Sync only the gmail app.

Now everytime you reply or create a new email you will have a drop down option to select which email it is From ala K9 style but a much improved app.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:30 PM   #1199
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowimagination View Post
Is now a bad time to buy the nexus 4?

I have been wanting to try a nexus phone for a while and I am planning on selling my wifes 4S, giving her my iPhone 5 and buying a Nexus 4 to use for myself. The Nexus still seems like it is a new enough device to give me a good android experience but I don't want to get in too late either.

Well, it depends, because the Samsung GS4 is rumored to be out, or at least announced, around April. So, while the N4 is a great phone with the pure Android experience, there might be better options on the horizon. Keep in mind though, if you are always waiting for the next big thing, all you'll ever be doing is waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcman77 View Post
I don't see why you can't create a Push option for the stock mail app. Its under settings in the Check frequency option of Sync Options.

Anyway this is what I recommend doing, it will also save your battery as you wont have multiple emails syncing and you get a nice app with gestures too.

Forward all your emails from your old email, lets say mac@hotmail.com to your gmail account.

Go into your gmail account (in a browser) under Settings and then go to Accounts.

Add another email address and save.

A email will be sent to your address mac@hotmail.com address requesting permission to send emails from your gmail as if it was sent from mac@hotmail.com

Sync only the gmail app.

Now everytime you reply or create a new email you will have a drop down option to select which email it is From ala K9 style but a much improved app.
Thanks for the tip!
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:36 PM   #1200
mcman77
macrumors 6502a

This isn't proven to increase battery life but worth a try, I've just applied it to my N4 today.

Settings : Mobile&Network : More : Mobile broadcasts ( could be cell broadcasts for US)

disable all those options.

Could save battery.

EDIT:
This ISNT proven to increase battery life but worth a try, I've just applied it to my N4 today.

Last edited by mcman77; Feb 11, 2013 at 04:28 PM.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Tags
android, google, nexus, nexus4