Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:15 AM   #1
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Who are the takers? Who wants stuff?

Republican-Heavy Counties Eat Up Most Food-Stamp Growth

Quote:
Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said in May that heíd written off votes from 47 percent of Americans who are collecting government aid. Turns out many of them are part of his political base.

Seventy percent of counties with the fastest-growth in food-stamp aid during the last four years voted for the Republican presidential candidate in 2008, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture data compiled by Bloomberg. They include Republican strongholds like King County, Texas, which in 2008 backed Republican John McCain by 92.6 percent, his largest share in the nation; and fast-growing Douglas County, Colorado.

Obama Supporters Subsidize Romney Supporters With Their Taxes

Quote:
Blue Counties Subsidize Red Counties
The same imbalance prevails within states, at the county level. The Blue counties contribute the most state taxes relative to the services they consume. The Red counties consume the most services relative to the taxes they pay. For example, a recent study documented the pattern in Washington state. King County, the solidly-Democratic county that surrounds Seattle, provides "nearly 42% of the state's tax revenues, yet receives only 25% of the money spend from Washington's general fund." Conversely, five counties that require the most in services relative to the taxes they pay are largely Republican.
rdowns is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Mord
macrumors G4
 
Mord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Old York
In light of this I find it pretty hilarious that he received 47% of the popular vote.
Mord is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:54 AM   #3
likemyorbs
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
I want stuff...
likemyorbs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:18 AM   #4
rdowns
Thread Starter
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
I want stuff...

Me too.

A fairer tax code, equal rights for all, immigration reform, spending cuts, reduction in our insane miliatry spending to name a few.
rdowns is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:23 AM   #5
leenak
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I want stuff too.

And just over 10% of the 47% are retirees who no longer work. I'd also expect them to be more for a Republican than a Democrat but what do I know?
leenak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
I want stuff. I have a 100% disability with the VA. I want better healthcare. VA hospitals suck. Not because of the doctors that work there but because the VA hospital system is under-funded.

I could get Medicare Part B but since I didn't apply for it when I started receiving my Social Security benefits it would cost me around $600 a month for it now.

For some of you $600 a month is normal but for a person on a fixed income it is a lot.


Oh and. That Fiscal Cliff ? To get a temporary deal done the Democrats threw Veterans under the bus by lopping the VA in with Defense Spending. So when the Defense budget gets cut by X% my disability benefits get cut by the same amount.
__________________
Throw us one Russell---John Fox Super Bowl 49
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:27 PM   #7
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God
 
LethalWolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Oh and. That Fiscal Cliff ? To get a temporary deal done the Democrats threw Veterans under the bus by lopping the VA in with Defense Spending. So when the Defense budget gets cut by X% my disability benefits get cut by the same amount.
I read that are areas of the Defense budget that are exempt and Veterans benefits were one of them.

ArmyTimes.com
Quote:
Veteransí disability and education benefits, health care and counseling are all exempt from sequestration, according to a Friday report from the White House that spells out the harm that awaits defense and non-defense programs if a way isnít found to avoid the across-the-board budget cuts.
__________________
Looking For Lenny - documentary about comedian Lenny Bruce's timeless impact on stand-up comedy & Free Speech.
Netflix, iTunes, Amazon
LethalWolfe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe View Post
I read that are areas of the Defense budget that are exempt and Veterans benefits were one of them.

ArmyTimes.com
I'll believe that when I see it. There was a reason they put the VA in with defense spending.
__________________
Throw us one Russell---John Fox Super Bowl 49
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:15 PM   #9
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God
 
LethalWolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I'll believe that when I see it. There was a reason they put the VA in with defense spending.
There is also a reason certain parts of defense spending have been given exemptions (to the best of my knowledge there are no such exemptions allowed on the 'blue' side of the cuts). Of course at the time everyone was saying the penalties were so severe that of course both sides of the isle would come together and of course these across the board budget cuts would never happen... yet here we are.
__________________
Looking For Lenny - documentary about comedian Lenny Bruce's timeless impact on stand-up comedy & Free Speech.
Netflix, iTunes, Amazon
LethalWolfe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:26 PM   #10
balamw
Moderator
 
balamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England, USA
MOD NOTE:

Please keep the thread on topic. If you wish to discuss the 2016 election cycle, start another thread.

B
__________________
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme
balamw is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:33 PM   #11
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I'll believe that when I see it. There was a reason they put the VA in with defense spending.
Bleh that's one of the few things I hope they don't cut with defense spending. The defense budget is enormous, but I'd hate to see things related protecting to protecting deployed troops. The body armor shortage during the Iraq War comes to mind. The other major thing being veteran's benefits. We do in fact owe them that much.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:43 PM   #12
chown33
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Quote:
Blue Counties Subsidize Red Counties
The same imbalance prevails within states, at the county level. The Blue counties contribute the most state taxes relative to the services they consume. The Red counties consume the most services relative to the taxes they pay. For example, a recent study documented the pattern in Washington state. King County, the solidly-Democratic county that surrounds Seattle, provides "nearly 42% of the state's tax revenues, yet receives only 25% of the money spend from Washington's general fund." Conversely, five counties that require the most in services relative to the taxes they pay are largely Republican.
Be careful about reading too much into that example.

Washington state has no personal income tax. Tax revenues come from other sources: B&O taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_(state)#Taxes

So just considering the population density of King County, the number of businesses located there, and the assessed value of property therein, it shouldn't be surprising it contributes such a large percentage of the state's revenue. Because of the tax base, and the absence of state income tax, this would be true regardless of whether it's a Blue or Red county.

The Blueness or Redness may have more to do with urban density, universities, or other reasons having nothing to do with the tax base. In general, reasons other than sheer population density.

If there are more taxpayers in a certain county, and supposing the same tax amount is paid per capita (which it surely isn't), then one would expect that a county with the larger percentage of taxpayers in it would pay a larger percentage of the state's overall taxes. That's just simple math.

Then if those paying more taxes (because they own more taxable assets) tend to occupy urban centers (as opposed to rural areas), that would skew the "payers" vs. "takers" ratio even more.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:24 PM   #13
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God
 
LethalWolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
I think rdowns was just trying to illustrate the larger point that it seems quite common for republicans to simultaneous complain about welfare while gladly accepting the welfare they receive.
__________________
Looking For Lenny - documentary about comedian Lenny Bruce's timeless impact on stand-up comedy & Free Speech.
Netflix, iTunes, Amazon
LethalWolfe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:50 PM   #14
Sydde
macrumors 68000
 
Sydde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
Be careful about reading too much into that example...
I disagree, it is right there. The state, counties and cities get their revenue howsoever they get it, the mechanisms are not really relevant. The underlying reality becomes evident when you just look at it. Consider King county compared to Okanogan. One has an average population density of 908 people per square mile in a little over 2100 square miles (dry), the other eight in more than twice the area. You can imagine, if you lived in King county, services would generally be better because it is easier to provide them to more people in less space. If you lived in Okanogan county, the government is that remote thing way over there struggling to serve a few people in a large area (plus, it snows a lot more in winter).

Hence, the more rural person will see the government as something that has little to offer, while the more urban person will see public services as helpful and convenient. The red/blue divide across the urban/rural boundary is obvious, and the blue is going to tend to prevail because, after all, they have more people.
__________________
You got to be a spirit. You can't be no ghost.
Sydde is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:04 AM   #15
erickkoch
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kalifornia
I think Jon Stewart had made a good point in his debate with 0'Reilly. When O'Reilly claimed we are an entitlement society Jon shot back that we are an "entitlement species." Sad but true. We all want stuff.
__________________
Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you donít know what you are talking about.
erickkoch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:18 PM   #16
rdowns
Thread Starter
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe View Post
I think rdowns was just trying to illustrate the larger point that it seems quite common for republicans to simultaneous complain about welfare while gladly accepting the welfare they receive.

Bingo!
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asus T100TA - Any Takers? AppleRobert Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 8 Dec 12, 2013 04:25 PM
The New Wi-Fi Stuff... travod MacBook Air 12 Jul 2, 2013 02:58 AM
Dad erased stuff from iPhone 4 and ended up erasing the same stuff on iPhone 4s Yeezi iPhone 10 Nov 1, 2012 01:08 PM
New stuff kannesss Community Discussion 1 Oct 1, 2012 09:25 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC