Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:44 AM   #26
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Apple has approached Samsung multiple times on settling these issues. Samsung says they don't WANT to settle and people still get all mad at Apple for litigating.
cmChimera is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:45 AM   #27
Macclone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKNN21 View Post
Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note II have already blown iPhone 5 out of the water, of course I know Apple fanbois are not going to admit this.

So if Apple reinvented "Smartphone", why can't the others follow the trend? Please think about this, Edison owned GE, and what would happen if he never allowed any others to open a power station? Do you think we will have hundreds of electrical appliances being used at home today if Edison acted just like Apple today? Simple!
Cool story bro. Did Edison patent electricity and then have some Asian company copy it?
Macclone is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:46 AM   #28
HarryKNN21
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
I am quite sure Apple isn't interested either in a settlement - 20% increase in prices for Apple from Samsung, Apple is findings other suppliers for its hardware.

This thing is going thermonuclear, as predicted.

My money is still on Apple - I don't trust a washing machine manufacturer as a phone maker.
This somehow shows how pathetic Apple fanbois nowadays, they just love Apple, but no facts. Samsung is one of the largest heavy industries on earth today, Samsung even involved in building skyscrapers in UAE and some of the largest container ships today. If you just know Samsung of their washing machine, I suggest you should never travel to UAE or trust any shipping company.

And moreover, your iPhone and iPad has 90% of parts made by Samsung, maybe Apple just designed and made the bodyshell themselves!

When I open up a brand new cMBP or Mac Mini, the first thing I see are two Samsung RAM, so what's happened? Apple trusts a washing machine manufacturer as their parts manufacturer?

Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB

Last edited by HarryKNN21; Nov 14, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
HarryKNN21 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:48 AM   #29
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennno View Post
I guess they want that $1bil back.

Why don't they just invest the budget for legal fees on to R&D, come up with a new product and beat Apple? Guess they're just incapable of doing so.
Payments like that don't typically happen until appeals options are exhausted. Appeals can be denied if they don't have a strong basis, but you won't see money changing hands until then. It's not like it affects anyone on here anyway. It could boost the stock a bit, but it's not a 100% gain when you factor in legal expenses and potentially higher costs in switching suppliers. What new product would they need anyway? You act like all of their hardware consists of rebadged Apple products.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:48 AM   #30
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

You guys are all wrong, there's a secret merger going on here
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:49 AM   #31
subsonix
macrumors 68040

Quote:
This somehow shows how pathetic Apple fanbois nowadays, they just love Apple, but no facts. Samsung is one of the largest heavy industries on earth today, Samsung even involved in building skyscrapers in UAE and some of the largest container ships today.
So what. Samsung is a conglomerate, their skyscraper building activities has nothing to do with their consumer electronics branch.
subsonix is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:49 AM   #32
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
Apple has approached Samsung multiple times on settling these issues. Samsung says they don't WANT to settle and people still get all mad at Apple for litigating.
Perhaps because the terms Apple wants aren't in line with what Samsung should be accepting?

Why should Samsung settle for anything less than the value they believe their IP, etc is worth any more/less than Apple should?

This article says Samsung doesn't want to settle. It says nothing about Apple wanting to settle. It's possible that Apple has the same exact attitude.
samcraig is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:49 AM   #33
Macclone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
Why is it sad? It's a good thing that somebody stands up to Apple. I do agree that hearing about it every day is a bit annoying but if something good comes out of it and makes Apple less of a bully - then so be it.

There are lots of reasons. One, it might be a matter of principal by now. Two, you don't let Apple bully you into submission. If they become successful at it, they'll create lots of precedent and continue doing it. Stopping them earlier is going to be easier than trying to stop them down the road.

Then of course there is billions of dollars lost when they'll have to pay fees to Apple from every phone sold. It's not like Apple's hurting for cash, they're just greedy. Btw, HTC is purely pathetic. I had an HTC phone and hated with a passion but now I see the company is not just sad in engineering sense but in integrity sense as well. I'll make sure to avoid buying any of their products as much as possible.
Does samsuck even have a R and D team? Or just a copy and duplicate team? I can't wait for the day that Apple has different suppliers and nothing is made by samsuck.
Macclone is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:49 AM   #34
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Has been said a few times. It is neither Apple nor Samsung - its the damn patent system which is broken

Apple patents the rectangle.
Jibbajabba is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:51 AM   #35
xDKP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
Samsung has the money for lawyers. They are larger than HTC, and can afford the fight. I must say though, Apple is becoming a patent troll. On some issues, I side with Apple, but these other claims are absurd.
Don't think you have completely gotten the idea of the words patent troll. Apple makes products which are patented and which they want to protect from being copied by competitors. Whether you agree with them or not is not the point, but patent trolls are the damn companies you have never heard of and who have never ever made a single product or innovated anything but the patent it self, which they are trying to sue money out of, from companies who have actually made products!
xDKP is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:52 AM   #36
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonix View Post
So what. Samsung is a conglomerate, their skyscraper building activities has nothing to do with their consumer electronics branch.
It does when you talk about Samsung as a company. Which some posters do and neglect to consider that Samsung is not just computers, TVs, phones and washing machines.

If you dislike it being commented on - perhaps you should respond to those that speak in hyperbole vs those that are correcting them?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macclone View Post
Does samsuck even have a R and D team? Or just a copy and duplicate team? I can't wait for the day that Apple has different suppliers and nothing is made by samsuck.
It's a shame you think your post deserves any consideration given that you resort to playground name calling and hyperbole.
samcraig is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:53 AM   #37
apierrec
Banned

At least in the last few days, it's so MacSlowNews ... whatever float your boat, it's the clicks and hits that matter!
apierrec is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:53 AM   #38
maplingstorie
macrumors regular

Can we just focus on creating better phones?
maplingstorie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:53 AM   #39
Oletros
In Time-Out

More Posner and Alsup judges and no need to settlement, slaps for all of those companies
Oletros is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:55 AM   #40
subsonix
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
It does when you talk about Samsung as a company. Which some posters do and neglect to consider that Samsung is not just computers, TVs, phones and washing machines.
It doesn't since when Samsung is mentioned here as a company what is referred to is either their semiconductor or consumer electronics branch. They are separate entities, hypothetically if their consumer electronics branch went into the red, the skyscraper building branch would not pour money into the branch that is losing money.
subsonix is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:58 AM   #41
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macclone View Post
Right because as Apple shows other (mostly) Chinese companies how to build Apple-like stuff, we can trust that those other companies won't roll out Samsung-like competitors for Apple stuff? Think people. I get the hate for Samsung because they leveraged the relationship with Apple to somewhat copy Apple innovations in their consumer offerings. Why do we think that non-Samsung partners- IN CHINA- won't follow Samsung's very lucrative lead and do the same? All that's happening in this "shift to other partners" event is Apple is creating more Samsung-type competition for the future.

Think. Chinese manufacturers fueled by Apple money wanting to grow and diversify their businesses. What will they know how to do? They'll know how to build things like they've been doing for Apple. Apple is massively successfully. Why don't we build our own phones, tablets, etc? Seem familiar?

Samsung: The Next Generation... coming to several other Chinese manufacturers not near you.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:59 AM   #42
SgtPepper12
macrumors 6502

Of course they are not interested. It's free advertising and Apple is usually seen as the bad guy in this issue, so good for Samsung's image. People now see the two companies as comparable. And usually, they will see Samsung as the underdog, the good guys, and Apple as the bad guys who started this whole mess.
They don't want to admit it, but the patent issue is actually a blessing for Samsung. They won already, no matter what the outcome will be.
SgtPepper12 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:59 AM   #43
Dionte
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to Dionte
That's not surprising, they are winning in some countries.
Dionte is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:00 AM   #44
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonix View Post
It doesn't since when Samsung is mentioned here as a company what is referred to is either their semiconductor or consumer electronics branch. They are separate entities, hypothetically if their consumer electronics branch went into the red, the skyscraper building branch would not pour money into the branch that is losing money.
My point is that other people are poking fun at Samsung and referring to them a washing machine company or whatever. If someone can poke fun of them, others can correct them.

So again - perhaps you should redirect your critical comments to those that are resorting to immature arguments UNRELATED to the topic instead of those correcting them when they do.

Unless, of course, you prefer to keep reading the juvenile comments vs. discussing the actual issues.
samcraig is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:01 AM   #45
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
A patent troll is someone who sits on their patents without practicing them and then sues someone who attempts to use the patented method or technology. You may think apple is overly litigious, but they do practice their own patents, so they are not a troll.
What about this:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/06/...nging-patents/

When was the last time that Apple used a stylus in one of their products?
dalbir4444 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:04 AM   #46
Tigger92
macrumors member

Quote:
Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note II have already blown iPhone 5 out of the water, of course I know Apple fanbois are not going to admit this.

So if Apple reinvented "Smartphone", why can't the others follow the trend? Please think about this, Edison owned GE, and what would happen if he never allowed any others to open a power station? Do you think we will have hundreds of electrical appliances being used at home today if Edison acted just like Apple today? Simple!
If you are going to make claims like this, please cite actual sales numbers for both. Otherwise, this seems to me just your opinion. Personally, I am happy to see Apple have competition, but I dislike people making wild claims with nothing to back them up.
Tigger92 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:04 AM   #47
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
I am quite sure Apple isn't interested either in a settlement - 20% increase in prices for Apple from Samsung, Apple is findings other suppliers for its hardware.

This thing is going thermonuclear, as predicted.

My money is still on Apple - I don't trust a washing machine manufacturer as a phone maker.
Yet they make one of the best displays, fastest HDD's and SSD's, reliable memory chips, etc. Sadly their gadgets just suck. Personally, touching a plastic tablet feels "cheap".
unplugme71 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:04 AM   #48
subsonix
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
So again - perhaps you should redirect your critical comments to those that are resorting to as UNRELATED to the topic instead of those correcting them when they do.
Please re-read the comment I quoted, it would qualify as an immature argument because it's a lame accusation and has nothing to do with the thread topic. Who cares if Samsung builds skyscrapers? It's completely unrelated to anything discussed on macrumors.
subsonix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:04 AM   #49
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennno View Post
I guess they want that $1bil back.

Why don't they just invest the budget for legal fees on to R&D, come up with a new product and beat Apple? Guess they're just incapable of doing so.
That doesn't make sense. You could say the same about Apple.
dalbir4444 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:04 AM   #50
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
I get the hate for Samsung because they leveraged the relationship with Apple to somewhat copy Apple innovations in their consumer offerings.
Can you further explain this. Do you believe that Samsung had insider knowledge of iOS and/or the full design of the iPhone before release?

If you do - in a word - no.

Samsung only had "inside" knowledge of the chip, display and other components that were being produced. Which could be used in many types of devices. If I sell you milk, eggs and sugar - does that mean I know you're making cookies, or cake, pancakes - what variety of either, etc?

Further - Samsung didn't need insider knowledge or to leverage a relationship with Apple to see what Apple was doing. There are these things called keynotes and stores where (if they wanted) they could "copy" the the products from. They wouldn't need to leverage a thing.
samcraig is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion