Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:25 AM   #76
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve119 View Post
I need to ask this question to all the samsung lovers on here, and bearing in mind I have a TV and surround system made by samsung(they do awesome tv's), but do you honestly believe that the engineers in the company that have been handed a design by apple thought to themselves, 'wow! thats awesome, but we must not copy it'?
And exactly what designs have been handled to them?

And I ask, is this really hard to copy a design just by buying the gadget? Why do you need an insider knowledge?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums View Post
FYI the "washing machine manufacturer" also built this:

And this

Oletros is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:25 AM   #77
bradgfromboo
macrumors member

Quote:
I need to ask this question to all the samsung lovers on here, and bearing in mind I have a TV and surround system made by samsung(they do awesome tv's), but do you honestly believe that the engineers in the company that have been handed a design by apple thought to themselves, 'wow! thats awesome, but we must not copy it'?

I don't think so somehow.

There has been reports that some people in the company warned about the litigation that has happened, so how can you say that this is all apple?

They are not being greedy, they are looking after their own best interests, as are samsung, it takes two to tango.

You are just dense... Samsung does not assemble their phones so why would they have the design? Chip design yes, screen specs yes, ram specs they want... yes
bradgfromboo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:25 AM   #78
bobinhell
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Do you trust a gadget manufacturer as a workstation maker?
Yes I would. First of all your statement is not correct.
Apple is, historically, a computer manufacturer first, of both personal computers, workstations (e.g. Mac Pro) and servers (e.g XServe).
Then they entered the consumer ("gadget") market.

So your question should be: do I trust a computer/server/workstation manufacturer to make my phone. Yes I do.
Would I trust someone with your judgement on anything? Probably not.
bobinhell is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:25 AM   #79
subsonix
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post
orly....... Last Time I must have been in another New York recently that had fake Luis Vuitton, Rolex, sunglasses..... ripped off DVD.... etc
And where are those manufactured most of the time?
subsonix is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:25 AM   #80
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuropsychguy View Post
TBecause Samsung made/makes many parts for the iPhone and iPad and then comes out with products that look and act similar to Apple's. Samsung has built in corporate & IP espionage and they took advantage of it, hoping Apple was too dumb to notice. Apple sued and here we are, years later.
Most ridiculous comment this morning. Congratulations.
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:27 AM   #81
Optheduim
macrumors member

intellectual property is worth fighting for, but im so tired of hearing about these lawsuits. Macrumors used to be all about the products, now its all about the legality of the products... apparently apple has closed lip
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:28 AM   #82
garybUK

Quote:
I need to ask this question to all the samsung lovers on here, and bearing in mind I have a TV and surround system made by samsung(they do awesome tv's), :
Let's hope that Awesome Samsung TV doesn't have Capacitor issues like mine did, ú1.5k tv sat there doing nothing because they used very nasty capacitors in the PSU that has blown the T-CON Board, 1.5 years after buying it..... and Samsung won't do jack even though they know about the issue.
garybUK is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:29 AM   #83
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post

And I ask, is this really hard to copy a design just by buying the gadget? Why do you need an insider knowledge?

----------

And this

didnt u hear? they tried to copy the empire state building but made it even bigger #sarcasm
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:30 AM   #84
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

At first I loathed this nonsense, but now I welcome in. Tons and tons of blatant abuse are what inevitably leads to reform. And patent reform we need.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:31 AM   #85
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post

----------

And this

I just saw this :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burj_Khalifa

It's amazing how big Samsung really is.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:31 AM   #86
inlinevolvo
Banned

Cool story. Wake we up when the CEOs are jousting.
inlinevolvo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:32 AM   #87
MH01
macrumors 68040

Customers are the losers as a result of these legal battles.

I have both the Samsung S3 and Iphone 5.

Love both, for different reasons. Iphone 5 the best made phone at present, the S3 under jelly Bean, best OS. Yes iOS just got boring for me, and that is what made me buy an S3, I could care less about the legal battle of patents, both these phones are very different for me.

I am impressed how far Android phones have come since the nexus one I owned, app also.

The iphone 5 is a piece of art, brilliant example of design and attention to detail.

iOS, needs are major refresh, this is my single major issues with the 5, compared to the S3, and the reason I use the S3 on a daily basis.

I am just hoping that the success of the S3 will push apple to innovate and produce an even better phone, I do not want another iphone 5 launch where on one had I think its amazing the way its engineered but boring at the same time. In a way I just hope Samsung wins, apple gives up the legal fights and gets back to making amazing gear.
MH01 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:32 AM   #88
steve119
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradgfromboo View Post
You are just dense... Samsung does not assemble their phones so why would they have the design? Chip design yes, screen specs yes, ram specs they want... yes
why am I dense?, what you've mentioned is part of the design.

but sticks and stones etc
steve119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:34 AM   #89
Monkeydude
macrumors member

Selective truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonix View Post
So what. Samsung is a conglomerate, their skyscraper building activities has nothing to do with their consumer electronics branch.
So why didn't you quote the 2nd part of the statement as well??? Let me do it for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKNN21 View Post
And moreover, your iPhone and iPad has 90% of parts made by Samsung, maybe Apple just designed and made the bodyshell themselves!

When I open up a brand new cMBP or Mac Mini, the first thing I see are two Samsung RAM, so what's happened? Apple trusts a washing machine manufacturer as their parts manufacturer?
Monkeydude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:34 AM   #90
MH01
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonix View Post
And where are those manufactured most of the time?
Same place as the Genuine product
MH01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:37 AM   #91
bradgfromboo
macrumors member

Quote:
why am I dense?, what you've mentioned is part of the design.

but sticks and stones etc
Lol so because they are making CPU memory and screen they now have designs for the device they are being used in? Why are u dense? Lol
bradgfromboo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:39 AM   #92
albusseverus
macrumors 6502a

All cheap advertising for Samsung. Even cheap R&D, just wait and see what Apple does.

As for copying Apple, they just have no shame at all - Samsung stores, store-in-store displays, all blatant copies of Apple. Not to mention the products. Which are sold as - "just like iPhone/iPad", shamelessly.

If they didn't do this, they'd be down the toilet like Nokia and RIM.

So why wouldn't they just tough it out in court? It's not like they have any conception of what they're doing as wrong, or even embarrassingly pathetic. They see Microsoft copy everything Apple does, and do it even more shamelessly.

Samsung don't even have to quote sales numbers, just SHIPPED, and the media jump on it. The media would be out of a job if they didn't have somebody besides Apple about which to report. You never see digitimes reporting on Samsung returns/unsold. That would put them out of business.

What's sad about this whole business, is how poorly Apple has done at making their case & protecting their intellectual property.

In the one jury trial, the public/jury fell over themselves to stick it to Samsung - it's clear to any sensible person what Samsung is up to. Only lawyers and judges could warp this into a victory for Samsung. And that just proves what lowlifes inhabit the legal system.
albusseverus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:39 AM   #93
TMay
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I don't agree with the response and reducing people to "fanbois." But part of his rebuttal and bringing in what Samsung does was relevant.

"My money is still on Apple - I don't trust a washing machine manufacturer as a phone maker."

Samsung is one of the largest heavy industries on earth today, Samsung even involved in building skyscrapers in UAE and some of the largest container ships today. If you just know Samsung of their washing machine, I suggest you should never travel to UAE or trust any shipping company."
The question would be: How did Samsung become so large?

Could it be a protected market? Yes, absolutely.

Could it be bribery and payoffs of Government officials?

http://www.fastcompany.com/1627411/b...ean-prosecutor

People fawning over Samsung need to take a closer look.
TMay is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:39 AM   #94
steve119
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradgfromboo View Post
Lol so because they are making CPU memory and screen they now have designs for the device they are being used in? Why are u dense? Lol
yeah....and 90% of the parts inside the iphone according to some people on here......they wouldn't be able to gain anything from that would they?
steve119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:40 AM   #95
subsonix
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydude View Post
So why didn't you quote the 2nd part of the statement as well??? Let me do it for you:
Because it has nothing to do with skyscrapers? But if you want to, the 90% is BS, afaik it's down to the CPU now in the iPhone5 just looking at the iFixit teardown would tell you this.
subsonix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:41 AM   #96
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
I must say though, Apple is becoming a patent troll. On some issues, I side with Apple, but these other claims are absurd.
Patent troll? No. Patent bully? Yes.
ghostface147 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:41 AM   #97
Monkeydude
macrumors member

Eat this

Originally Posted by HarryKNN21
Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note II have already blown iPhone 5 out of the water, of course I know Apple fanbois are not going to admit this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger92 View Post
If you are going to make claims like this, please cite actual sales numbers for both. Otherwise, this seems to me just your opinion. Personally, I am happy to see Apple have competition, but I dislike people making wild claims with nothing to back them up.
Here you go:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...-to-galaxy-s3/

and it's about most SELLING!!!! so please don't start that "shipping numbers" discussion again.
Monkeydude is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:43 AM   #98
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by albusseverus View Post
All cheap advertising for Samsung. Even cheap R&D, just wait and see what Apple does.

As for copying Apple, they just have no shame at all - Samsung stores, store-in-store displays, all blatant copies of Apple. Not to mention the products. Which are sold as - "just like iPhone/iPad", shamelessly.

If they didn't do this, they'd be down the toilet like Nokia and RIM.

So why wouldn't they just tough it out in court? It's not like they have any conception of what they're doing as wrong, or even embarrassingly pathetic. They see Microsoft copy everything Apple does, and do it even more shamelessly.

Samsung don't even have to quote sales numbers, just SHIPPED, and the media jump on it. The media would be out of a job if they didn't have somebody besides Apple about which to report. You never see digitimes reporting on Samsung returns/unsold. That would put them out of business.

What's sad about this whole business, is how poorly Apple has done at making their case & protecting their intellectual property.

In the one jury trial, the public/jury fell over themselves to stick it to Samsung - it's clear to any sensible person what Samsung is up to. Only lawyers and judges could warp this into a victory for Samsung. And that just proves what lowlifes inhabit the legal system.
So full of wrong information it's sad. For example (and just one) the "Samsung Store" you speak of - wasn't a Samsung store. It was a 3rd party store that sold Samsung devices.

It's very sad when people don't bother to seek out the truth for themselves and instead get their "facts" from forums only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMay View Post
The question would be: How did Samsung become so large?

Could it be a protected market? Yes, absolutely.

Could it be bribery and payoffs of Government officials?

http://www.fastcompany.com/1627411/b...ean-prosecutor

People fawning over Samsung need to take a closer look.
I have an idea - let's take something irrelevant and then make it even more irrelevant to the thread.

Samsung isn't interested in settling. No surprise there. No idea why people are arguing back and forth. It doesn't make sense for Samsung to settle. Anyone/everyone could at least agree on that.
samcraig is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:43 AM   #99
subsonix
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post
Same place as the Genuine product
Right, what I was trying to get to is that a company the operates in the western parts of the world would never get away with this type of cloning. Customs and police is kept busy going after this type of activity where ever it pops up.
subsonix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:43 AM   #100
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:

I don't think so somehow.

There has been reports that some people in the company warned about the litigation that has happened, so how can you say that this is all apple?

They are not being greedy, they are looking after their own best interests, as are samsung, it takes two to tango.
Just going to point out engineers and developers (the coders) generally do not do UI design. They are given the design requirements and what it will look like from the design team. They are then let loose figuring out how to make it work with in those designs. This applies to both hardware and software. What you will see happen is the engineers and the coders will some times go back to the design team asking for a change or saying what they want is a not the best idea in terms of design saying what would have to be done under the hood so to speak would come at a heavy cost elsewhere.
Rodimus Prime is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion