Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:07 AM   #126
dennno
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
LG Prada?
I used one of them before and it wasn't as smooth or easy to use, why do you think it didn't take off?

Also, I guess I should have used a different term than touch interfaces. The ecosystem is incomparable to LG's non-existent one.
dennno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:10 AM   #127
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger92 View Post
Thanks for the reference, but that is for the iPhone 4s not the iPhone 5 as he was claiming. And I completely agree...it is about the number of phones selling that really matters. So far, I just haven't seen any numbers that points to either one being ahead....
The iPhone 5 sold almost as many (5 million) in 3 days as the GS3 sold in its first three weeks (6 million).

The Note II I believe has sold just over 3 million since it's release about a month ago? Correct me if I'm wrong on the timeframe....

Point being, the iPhone is still the most popular individual phone. Heck the more than a year old 4S - thought to be a minor spec bump - is still selling well. It took a brand new Samsung phone to unseat it (only by a few million sold too).

People get upset when their choice isn't the majority's choice - what most don't realize is a lot of the time, the majority is completely whacked....

You pick the phone that works for you. Let the companies battle it out if they want (which both Samsung AND Apple clearly want). You buy your Note II, I'll buy my iP5 - neither of us are hurting each other and you don't need to justify your purchase to me, just as I don't feel the need to justify mine to you.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:10 AM   #128
dcorban
macrumors 6502a

Of course they will not settle. It is both mathematically and psychologically shown that people who stand to have a large loss will take the risk of a verdict rather than a settlement.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:11 AM   #129
subsonix
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Source?
I have never seen anyone with an LG Prada, or heard of anyone who had one and it was quickly discontinued. The exact opposite is true with iPhone. Do you want me to Google for sales figures for you, or do you agree with this assessment?
subsonix is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:11 AM   #130
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennno View Post
I used one of them before and it wasn't as smooth or easy to use, why do you think it didn't take off?
So, you admit that there were phones prior to the iPhone with touch only interfaces?

Quote:
Also, I guess I should have used a different term than touch interfaces. The ecosystem is incomparable to LG's non-existent one.
Yap, because the original iPhone had an incomparable ecosystem, didn't it? Comparable to the LG Prada one
Oletros is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:12 AM   #131
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
These guys play hardball. If Apple wants to settle, Sammy want them to beg.
I think you are a bit confused here. Apple is $1bn ahead in the game so far, and is moving quickly to different suppliers. The next step in the game will be a major sum of money going to TSMC to build tons of ARM chips which can be sold to anyone at very, very competitive prices.

When Apple settled with HTC, I wouldn't be surprised if HTC would soon get cheap access to Apple-designed ARM chips. Samsung doesn't exactly have friends in the industry, the Foxconn CEO and many others hate them for being snitches, and HTC will have long figured out that they are losing more sales to Samsung than to Apple.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:12 AM   #132
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Game on, mole!
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:13 AM   #133
dennno
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
Payments like that don't typically happen until appeals options are exhausted. Appeals can be denied if they don't have a strong basis, but you won't see money changing hands until then. It's not like it affects anyone on here anyway. It could boost the stock a bit, but it's not a 100% gain when you factor in legal expenses and potentially higher costs in switching suppliers. What new product would they need anyway? You act like all of their hardware consists of rebadged Apple products.
Isn't that what R&D is for? To research and develop new products and innovations that customers may be interested in. The same way Google is looking into bringing us closer into virtual reality with Project Glass, or the way Apple introduced the iPod; or innovations brought by Motorola (mobility).
dennno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:14 AM   #134
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonix View Post
I have never seen anyone with an LG Prada, or heard of anyone who had one and it was quickly discontinued. The exact opposite is true with iPhone. Do you want me to Google for sales figures for you, or do you agree with this assessment?
Ah, because tou didn't seen any LG Prada it was a flop. Really?

Ah, it was not quickly discontinued, it was replaced more than a year after with the LG Prada II.

So yes, please Google the sales figures
Oletros is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:14 AM   #135
cytomatrix
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKNN21 View Post
Apple trusts a washing machine manufacturer as their parts manufacturer?
They are paying for it right now.
cytomatrix is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:15 AM   #136
akac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
I am quite sure Apple isn't interested either in a settlement - 20% increase in prices for Apple from Samsung, Apple is findings other suppliers for its hardware.

This thing is going thermonuclear, as predicted.

My money is still on Apple - I don't trust a washing machine manufacturer as a phone maker.
And a horrible washing machine manufacturer at that. We've had more troubles with that thing than I've ever had with an appliance.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:16 AM   #137
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
I think you are a bit confused here. Apple is $1bn ahead in the game so far, and is moving quickly to different suppliers. The next step in the game will be a major sum of money going to TSMC to build tons of ARM chips which can be sold to anyone at very, very competitive prices.

When Apple settled with HTC, I wouldn't be surprised if HTC would soon get cheap access to Apple-designed ARM chips. Samsung doesn't exactly have friends in the industry, the Foxconn CEO and many others hate them for being snitches, and HTC will have long figured out that they are losing more sales to Samsung than to Apple.

Apple licensing and selling ARM design to others? You can't be more wrong.
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:16 AM   #138
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
...and then the next step is for TSMC to start making their own iDevices in a new consumer product arm funded by the cash made by Apple shifting from Samsung to TSMC. Samsung will still be making their versions of iDevices too, so we'll simply have more competitors selling iDevice-like products... and another party for Apple to sue.

Why we think Apple is going to "win" by shifting money from Samsung to other manufactures completely escapes me. Why do we think these other players won't just do what Samsung has done? It's very lucrative for Samsung. It will be seen as very lucrative by TSMC, LG, Sharp, etc. Just more Samsungs in waiting.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:16 AM   #139
nmbr1ctrman
macrumors newbie

I started a petition to ask the US Patent Office to review the patents they are awarding that are causing these kinds of patent disputes:

http://www.change.org/petitions/unit...es-competition
nmbr1ctrman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:17 AM   #140
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Samsung is a house of thieves and copycats. I wouldn't expect them to react any other way.
Technarchy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:17 AM   #141
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

RUMOUR, speculation, love it!
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:18 AM   #142
dennno
macrumors regular

Quote:
So, you admit that there were phones prior to the iPhone with touch only interfaces?

Yap, because the original iPhone had an incomparable ecosystem, didn't it? Comparable to the LG Prada one
I never said there weren't other phones with touch interfaces. What I said was they were the FIRST to reinvent the way it was implemented, which resulted to the array of smartphones we see today. I highly doubt your precious LG prada was the inspiration for the SIII or Lumia or HTC phones.

The original iPhone already had iTunes, the largest App store at the time and others. It wasn't perfect, but it was better than LG. I don't understand the basis of your arguments ....
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:18 AM   #143
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Samsung is a house of thieves and copycats. I wouldn't expect them to react any other way.
True and they do it so well lol
Fruit Cake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:20 AM   #144
subsonix
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Ah, because tou didn't seen any LG Prada it was a flop. Really?

Ah, it was not quickly discontinued, it was replaced more than a year after with the LG Prada II.

So yes, please Google the sales figures
So you're arguing that it's impossible to get a sense of a broadly successful product by just looking around you? If you see none, it's not. But besides this, it was revealed publicly 1 month before the iPhone so it's not a reason for the iPhone coming into being at all. Without the LG Prada, the iPhone would be exactly the same, it was an irrelevant product.
subsonix is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:21 AM   #145
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
What I said was they were the FIRST to reinvent the way it was implemented
Like what? Finger only touch interface in a capacitive screen?

Quote:
The original iPhone already had iTunes, the largest App store at the time and others. It wasn't perfect, but it was better than LG. I don't understand the basis of your arguments ....
Ahem, the original iphone didn't have any app store.
Oletros is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:22 AM   #146
crisss1205
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to crisss1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybUK View Post
Let's hope that Awesome Samsung TV doesn't have Capacitor issues like mine did, £1.5k tv sat there doing nothing because they used very nasty capacitors in the PSU that has blown the T-CON Board, 1.5 years after buying it..... and Samsung won't do jack even though they know about the issue.
Same thing happened to mine, the capacitors blew, but I had a 5 year warranty on my TV so I took it back to the store I bought it and they fixed it.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:23 AM   #147
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman9000 View Post
The "coders"? You don't have a clue guy. We are not called "coders". In fact, I've never heard anyone on a software development team refer to themselves as coders. Here are clues: Software Engineer, Senior Engineer, Principle Engineer...

The hardware engineers and software engineers at our company work hand in hand on a product. The hardware engineers take the brunt of the work at the beginning while the software engineers take the brunt at the end.

The only thing remotely accurate in your "post" is the need for the software engineers to talk to the hardware engineers (and the driver team). I'm much more likely to talk to the driver team to discover what API calls are too expensive to make often.
I used the term coder because people confuse software developers and all the parts of the job.

I also work in software on a fairly large product. Yes I talk with the design team but in terms of how it will look not really something I do. I do not do UI design. I change it based on will it work but UI design is not done by me. Hell UI design is done by people who have no coding back ground at all at my company. They understand that software developers and engineers do not make the best UI people. We are good at designing the under the hood stuff but in terms of look and feel not what we are good at.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:24 AM   #148
dennno
macrumors regular

Quote:
Like what? Finger only touch interface in a capacitive screen?

Ahem, the original iphone didn't have any app store.
It's pointless arguing my case. Your arguments are baseless that you don't even bother to interpret my posts, but rather read it the way you want . In any case enjoy your LG Prada and I'll stick to phones that I like.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:24 AM   #149
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:

Apple is not 1bn a head. All signs are pointing to that ruling being thrown out and some of the key patents in that ruling have been declared invalid making the ruling in of it self invalid.

That case has multiple appeals handed to it on a silver plater. So no Apple is not ahead.
Rodimus Prime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:25 AM   #150
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
But with the decision to pursue further legal battle resources would be cut from other departments to ensure that costs are minimised.
Doubt it. And since there's no evidence to support your assertion - it's just your opinion.

Both companies are, however, large enough to have separate budgets for their departments without one affecting the other. They wouldn't necc. cut one to pay for the other.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion