Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:51 AM   #1
CaneCollegeboy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
iPad Mini game performance question

To everyone that kept the mini how does it perform in the gaming department. I know most games work perfectly (Nova 3, Lilli, Infinity Blade II) but i was surprised to see Arc Squadron take an eternity to load up. Is that a hard ware or a software issue. I know it take forever to load up on my iphone 4
CaneCollegeboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:57 AM   #2
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaneCollegeboy View Post
To everyone that kept the mini how does it perform in the gaming department. I know most games work perfectly (Nova 3, Lilli, Infinity Blade II) but i was surprised to see Arc Squadron take an eternity to load up. Is that a hard ware or a software issue. I know it take forever to load up on my iphone 4
This will give you an idea of the GPU power of all iPads:

iPad 1: 1x (factor 1)
iPad 2: 9x faster
iPad 3: 18x faster (than the iPad 1)
iPad 4: 36x faster (than the iPad 1)
iPad mini: 9x faster (than the iPad 1)

If you, however, take the Retina display into account, than the 'relative GPU power' will be this:

iPad 1: 1x
iPad 2: 9x
iPad 3: 4.5x (actually a step back)
iPad 4: 9x (up to iPad 2 levels)
iPad mini: 9x

I think it's just the game that takes a lot of time to load.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:03 AM   #3
CaneCollegeboy
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Thanks for the answer, it kinda freaked me out since i thought it might be hard ware related but then again the mini played all the other games without a single problem. I ended up returning my mini not for performance issues but because i think 64gb was over kill and i might get the lte version.
CaneCollegeboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:05 AM   #4
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
This will give you an idea of the GPU power of all iPads:

iPad 1: 1x (factor 1)
iPad 2: 9x faster
iPad 3: 18x faster (than the iPad 1)
iPad 4: 36x faster (than the iPad 1)
iPad mini: 9x faster (than the iPad 1)

If you, however, take the Retina display into account, than the 'relative GPU power' will be this:

iPad 1: 1x
iPad 2: 9x
iPad 3: 4.5x (actually a step back)
iPad 4: 9x (up to iPad 2 levels)
iPad mini: 9x

I think it's just the game that takes a lot of time to load.
you are saying the retina takes 4 times the power on the 4 ....that just does not seem right. Yes it is powering a retina display, but that does not make it the same performance as the mini
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:06 AM   #5
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I don't know how big Real Racing 2 is but it took quite awhile to load at a nearby b&n store. I do not have anything else to compare it to as far as how long it takes.

Going to start playing now. Hope the wait was worth it and the game was not cheap either!
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:12 AM   #6
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
I don't know how big Real Racing 2 is but it took quite awhile to load at a nearby b&n store. I do not have anything else to compare it to as far as how long it takes.

Going to start playing now. Hope the wait was worth it and the game was not cheap either!
Need for speed most wanted is a great racing game!
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:28 AM   #7
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
you are saying the retina takes 4 times the power on the 4 ....that just does not seem right. Yes it is powering a retina display, but that does not make it the same performance as the mini
I'm not saying that it is using more energy. I'm saying that the iPad 4 happens to be four times as powerful as the iPad 2 and the iPad mini... and it just happens to be that it needs to push four times as many pixels.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:39 AM   #8
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
I'm not saying that it is using more energy. I'm saying that the iPad 4 happens to be four times as powerful as the iPad 2 and the iPad mini... and it just happens to be that it needs to push four times as many pixels.
ahh...well your chart compares everything to the ipad 1 and the way it looks is that the ipad 4 and mini are both 9x faster after you account for the retina display.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:11 AM   #9
TJ61
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
I don't know how big Real Racing 2 is but it took quite awhile to load at a nearby b&n store. I do not have anything else to compare it to as far as how long it takes.

Going to start playing now. Hope the wait was worth it and the game was not cheap either!
Are you referring to the download time? The OP is referring to the time delay between tapping the icon and when the game is ready to play.

Yes, download time for RR2 is huge. But it's worth it! (Actually, I've only had it on my iPhone -- haven't pulled the trigger for my Mini yet.)

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:25 AM   #10
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
ahh...well your chart compares everything to the ipad 1 and the way it looks is that the ipad 4 and mini are both 9x faster after you account for the retina display.
Yep, that is correct.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:34 AM   #11
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ61 View Post
Are you referring to the download time? The OP is referring to the time delay between tapping the icon and when the game is ready to play.

Yes, download time for RR2 is huge. But it's worth it! (Actually, I've only had it on my iPhone -- haven't pulled the trigger for my Mini yet.)

Regards,
Tom
Sorry, I was referring to download time.

I tried a few quick races. Wow, glad I pulled the trigger on this game. I did read reviews first and figured I would enjoy it but one cannot always be certain until tried.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Need for speed most wanted is a great racing game!
Using my first itunes $25 card I bought pretty fast to tell the truth. I'll stick with RR2 for now and thanks for the tip about NFS:MW.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Knowimagination
macrumors 6502a
 
Knowimagination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
Yep, that is correct.
GPU only though correct?
__________________
Twitter
Knowimagination is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:53 AM   #13
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowimagination View Post
GPU only though correct?
That is what I was missing. I was thinking he meant the combination of CPU and GPU
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retina iPad Mini Has 1.3 GHz A7 Processor With 5X the Performance of the Original Mini MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 129 Dec 2, 2013 10:29 AM
All iPads: iPad Air and iPad mini both have A7 = equal graphics performance in games? Icaras iPad 0 Oct 22, 2013 03:56 PM
2012 Mac Mini Paralells Performance Question taythecoug Mac mini 5 Jun 14, 2013 10:11 AM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini performance as a gaming device armitage shanks iPad 33 Dec 8, 2012 03:17 PM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini Gaming Performance Question? ilunchbox iPad 0 Nov 5, 2012 08:45 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC