Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:51 AM   #1
CaneCollegeboy
macrumors regular

iPad Mini game performance question

To everyone that kept the mini how does it perform in the gaming department. I know most games work perfectly (Nova 3, Lilli, Infinity Blade II) but i was surprised to see Arc Squadron take an eternity to load up. Is that a hard ware or a software issue. I know it take forever to load up on my iphone 4
CaneCollegeboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:57 AM   #2
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaneCollegeboy View Post
To everyone that kept the mini how does it perform in the gaming department. I know most games work perfectly (Nova 3, Lilli, Infinity Blade II) but i was surprised to see Arc Squadron take an eternity to load up. Is that a hard ware or a software issue. I know it take forever to load up on my iphone 4
This will give you an idea of the GPU power of all iPads:

iPad 1: 1x (factor 1)
iPad 2: 9x faster
iPad 3: 18x faster (than the iPad 1)
iPad 4: 36x faster (than the iPad 1)
iPad mini: 9x faster (than the iPad 1)

If you, however, take the Retina display into account, than the 'relative GPU power' will be this:

iPad 1: 1x
iPad 2: 9x
iPad 3: 4.5x (actually a step back)
iPad 4: 9x (up to iPad 2 levels)
iPad mini: 9x

I think it's just the game that takes a lot of time to load.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:03 AM   #3
CaneCollegeboy
macrumors regular

Thanks for the answer, it kinda freaked me out since i thought it might be hard ware related but then again the mini played all the other games without a single problem. I ended up returning my mini not for performance issues but because i think 64gb was over kill and i might get the lte version.
CaneCollegeboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:05 AM   #4
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
This will give you an idea of the GPU power of all iPads:

iPad 1: 1x (factor 1)
iPad 2: 9x faster
iPad 3: 18x faster (than the iPad 1)
iPad 4: 36x faster (than the iPad 1)
iPad mini: 9x faster (than the iPad 1)

If you, however, take the Retina display into account, than the 'relative GPU power' will be this:

iPad 1: 1x
iPad 2: 9x
iPad 3: 4.5x (actually a step back)
iPad 4: 9x (up to iPad 2 levels)
iPad mini: 9x

I think it's just the game that takes a lot of time to load.
you are saying the retina takes 4 times the power on the 4 ....that just does not seem right. Yes it is powering a retina display, but that does not make it the same performance as the mini
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:06 AM   #5
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

I don't know how big Real Racing 2 is but it took quite awhile to load at a nearby b&n store. I do not have anything else to compare it to as far as how long it takes.

Going to start playing now. Hope the wait was worth it and the game was not cheap either!
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:12 AM   #6
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
I don't know how big Real Racing 2 is but it took quite awhile to load at a nearby b&n store. I do not have anything else to compare it to as far as how long it takes.

Going to start playing now. Hope the wait was worth it and the game was not cheap either!
Need for speed most wanted is a great racing game!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:28 AM   #7
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
you are saying the retina takes 4 times the power on the 4 ....that just does not seem right. Yes it is powering a retina display, but that does not make it the same performance as the mini
I'm not saying that it is using more energy. I'm saying that the iPad 4 happens to be four times as powerful as the iPad 2 and the iPad mini... and it just happens to be that it needs to push four times as many pixels.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:39 AM   #8
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
I'm not saying that it is using more energy. I'm saying that the iPad 4 happens to be four times as powerful as the iPad 2 and the iPad mini... and it just happens to be that it needs to push four times as many pixels.
ahh...well your chart compares everything to the ipad 1 and the way it looks is that the ipad 4 and mini are both 9x faster after you account for the retina display.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:11 AM   #9
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post

Are you referring to the download time? The OP is referring to the time delay between tapping the icon and when the game is ready to play.

Yes, download time for RR2 is huge. But it's worth it! (Actually, I've only had it on my iPhone -- haven't pulled the trigger for my Mini yet.)

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:25 AM   #10
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
ahh...well your chart compares everything to the ipad 1 and the way it looks is that the ipad 4 and mini are both 9x faster after you account for the retina display.
Yep, that is correct.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:34 AM   #11
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ61 View Post
Are you referring to the download time? The OP is referring to the time delay between tapping the icon and when the game is ready to play.

Yes, download time for RR2 is huge. But it's worth it! (Actually, I've only had it on my iPhone -- haven't pulled the trigger for my Mini yet.)

Regards,
Tom
Sorry, I was referring to download time.

I tried a few quick races. Wow, glad I pulled the trigger on this game. I did read reviews first and figured I would enjoy it but one cannot always be certain until tried.

----------

Quote:
Need for speed most wanted is a great racing game!
Using my first itunes $25 card I bought pretty fast to tell the truth. I'll stick with RR2 for now and thanks for the tip about NFS:MW.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Knowimagination
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yep, that is correct.
GPU only though correct?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:53 AM   #13
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowimagination View Post
GPU only though correct?
That is what I was missing. I was thinking he meant the combination of CPU and GPU

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad