Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
To everyone that kept the mini how does it perform in the gaming department. I know most games work perfectly (Nova 3, Lilli, Infinity Blade II) but i was surprised to see Arc Squadron take an eternity to load up. Is that a hard ware or a software issue. I know it take forever to load up on my iphone 4

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
To everyone that kept the mini how does it perform in the gaming department. I know most games work perfectly (Nova 3, Lilli, Infinity Blade II) but i was surprised to see Arc Squadron take an eternity to load up. Is that a hard ware or a software issue. I know it take forever to load up on my iphone 4
This will give you an idea of the GPU power of all iPads:

iPad 1: 1x (factor 1)
iPad 2: 9x faster
iPad 3: 18x faster (than the iPad 1)
iPad 4: 36x faster (than the iPad 1)
iPad mini: 9x faster (than the iPad 1)

If you, however, take the Retina display into account, than the 'relative GPU power' will be this:

iPad 1: 1x
iPad 2: 9x
iPad 3: 4.5x (actually a step back)
iPad 4: 9x (up to iPad 2 levels)
iPad mini: 9x

I think it's just the game that takes a lot of time to load.

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Thanks for the answer, it kinda freaked me out since i thought it might be hard ware related but then again the mini played all the other games without a single problem. I ended up returning my mini not for performance issues but because i think 64gb was over kill and i might get the lte version.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
This will give you an idea of the GPU power of all iPads:

iPad 1: 1x (factor 1)
iPad 2: 9x faster
iPad 3: 18x faster (than the iPad 1)
iPad 4: 36x faster (than the iPad 1)
iPad mini: 9x faster (than the iPad 1)

If you, however, take the Retina display into account, than the 'relative GPU power' will be this:

iPad 1: 1x
iPad 2: 9x
iPad 3: 4.5x (actually a step back)
iPad 4: 9x (up to iPad 2 levels)
iPad mini: 9x

I think it's just the game that takes a lot of time to load.

you are saying the retina takes 4 times the power on the 4 ....that just does not seem right. Yes it is powering a retina display, but that does not make it the same performance as the mini

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I don't know how big Real Racing 2 is but it took quite awhile to load at a nearby b&n store. I do not have anything else to compare it to as far as how long it takes.

Going to start playing now. Hope the wait was worth it and the game was not cheap either! :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I don't know how big Real Racing 2 is but it took quite awhile to load at a nearby b&n store. I do not have anything else to compare it to as far as how long it takes.

Going to start playing now. Hope the wait was worth it and the game was not cheap either! :)

Need for speed most wanted is a great racing game!

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
you are saying the retina takes 4 times the power on the 4 ....that just does not seem right. Yes it is powering a retina display, but that does not make it the same performance as the mini
I'm not saying that it is using more energy. I'm saying that the iPad 4 happens to be four times as powerful as the iPad 2 and the iPad mini... and it just happens to be that it needs to push four times as many pixels.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm not saying that it is using more energy. I'm saying that the iPad 4 happens to be four times as powerful as the iPad 2 and the iPad mini... and it just happens to be that it needs to push four times as many pixels.

ahh...well your chart compares everything to the ipad 1 and the way it looks is that the ipad 4 and mini are both 9x faster after you account for the retina display.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011

Are you referring to the download time? The OP is referring to the time delay between tapping the icon and when the game is ready to play.

Yes, download time for RR2 is huge. But it's worth it! :) (Actually, I've only had it on my iPhone -- haven't pulled the trigger for my Mini yet.)

Regards,
Tom

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Are you referring to the download time? The OP is referring to the time delay between tapping the icon and when the game is ready to play.

Yes, download time for RR2 is huge. But it's worth it! :) (Actually, I've only had it on my iPhone -- haven't pulled the trigger for my Mini yet.)

Regards,
Tom

Sorry, I was referring to download time.

I tried a few quick races. Wow, glad I pulled the trigger on this game. I did read reviews first and figured I would enjoy it but one cannot always be certain until tried.

----------

Need for speed most wanted is a great racing game!

Using my first itunes $25 card I bought pretty fast to tell the truth. I'll stick with RR2 for now and thanks for the tip about NFS:MW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.