Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:39 AM   #26
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad.c View Post
I'm sorry. I see your points, but I'm finding the apple-centric signatures amusing in the context of this particular thread.
If someone asks what computers I have I will list my computers. I built my desktop so there is a bit of pride involved because loving technology is actually part of my personality. If someone asks me to tell them something about myself I don't say I use Intel quad core processors though.
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:48 AM   #27
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Apparently Im an idiot, I got the name wrong

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1337599/
Never heard of this until today. Read the synopsis, but can anyone give me a bullet points version of this movie?
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:41 AM   #28
leenak
macrumors 68000

I have no brand loyalty. I may buy from a brand repeatedly due to some previous experience but it doesn't prevent me from shopping around and I'll drop a brand if they let me down.
leenak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:53 AM   #29
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Ive done numerous Trade Training courses for the Air Force, and literally every single one has begun with telling everyone else about yourself.

I normally try to break the ice by standing up and saying "Hello, I'm Ben and I'm an alcoholic....... Oh bugger wrong meeting"

So far that's always gotten laughs and encouraged the others to be more open.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:39 AM   #30
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
Never heard of this until today. Read the synopsis, but can anyone give me a bullet points version of this movie?
Its not really a condensible documentary, but its how advertising from cradle to grave shapes consumer culture.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:46 AM   #31
robanga
macrumors 68000

Tying your identity to ANYthing in this world, material or even relational is wrought with folly. You are different from all of that. (you begin to tread it to spiritual areas if you go much father than that)

Buy yes consumerism is alive and well all over. It does not matter what economic level either.

People call me a gadget guy or an Apple guy at times. I try not to label myself as such unless people ask about my interests. Interests are far different than who i am.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:11 PM   #32
jeremy h
macrumors 6502

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned music tribes. They seem to have gone and have been replaced with technology tribes. When I was growing up in Britain in the 70's and 80's people defined themselves - even at college and well into their twenties by the music they listened to. That was the thing. You had skins, goths, new romantics, crusties - the list was endless. Technology tribes (or phone choice tribes) seem to have replaced this. My kids seem obsessed with mobile phone brands (even though they're too young (in my opinion) to have one yet). They don't obsess about music in the way we did - it's just a background noise for them.

Shame really - they'll never experience the joy of being chased by skinheads or try to cheer up a goth sat miserably on a swing in the park. They'll just be tech nerds like the rest of us on here.
jeremy h is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:41 PM   #33
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy h View Post

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned music tribes. They seem to have gone and have been replaced with technology tribes. When I was growing up in Britain in the 70's and 80's people defined themselves - even at college and well into their twenties by the music they listened to. That was the thing. You had skins, goths, new romantics, crusties - the list was endless.
Hey, I wonder if you were the kid I met in the train station in mid-80's? Explained it all to me while we were waiting. I being a visitor to the UK and unfamiliar with it. He figured I should be a mod or a rocker.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:50 PM   #34
nightlong
macrumors 6502a

I can't cope with misplaced apostrophes and the word unique being qualified and cruelty to animals, children or any other vulnerable people/creatures. Apart from that I'm mildly tolerant. Lol.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:25 PM   #35
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeaanuut View Post
But I think its more than that. You can be a laker fan and not carry disdain for Clippers fans. It seems more and more now...."oh you have an iPhone, I cant be your friend".
Actually I have seen the opposite. It seems that some iPhone people are too good to be friends with people who don't have an iPhone. If you don't have an iPhone you are not sophisticated enough to be their friend.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:32 PM   #36
peeaanuut
Banned

Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaGuy View Post
Actually I have seen the opposite. It seems that some iPhone people are too good to be friends with people who don't have an iPhone. If you don't have an iPhone you are not sophisticated enough to be their friend.
it was an example. Yes, I am quite aware it goes both ways.
peeaanuut is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues