Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ifixit_a6x-150x150.jpg
Earlier this week, it was reported that Samsung had instituted a 20% price increase for production of Apple's A-series chips used in the company's iOS devices. The move was seen by some as a potential salvo in the ongoing patent battle between the two companies.

The Street now reports on an article [Google translation] from Korean newspaper The Hankyoreh citing a Samsung executive as saying that the rumors of a price hike are untrue.
After reports earlier in the week that the South Korean technology giant was raising application processor (AP) prices on Apple by as much as 20%, a Samsung Electronics official denied the reports to The Hankyoreh, a Seoul-based newspaper.

The unnamed official noted that prices are set at the beginning of the year and aren't changed easily.
Conflicting reports about possible price hikes by Samsung come as the company has indicated that it is not interested in settling the patent dispute with Apple. HTC and Apple settled their dispute in an agreement announced this weekend.

Article Link: Samsung Denies Claims of Price Hikes for iOS Device Chip Production

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2002
London
Have they or haven't they -- the truth will out... With the first price breakdown .
They can hardly lie about this for long if they're fibbing!

Last edited by a moderator:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Planted in the Media?

Apple plays the media like an accordion.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
What happened to fact-checking in journalism?
People are way too eager to be the first ones to get a potential story out.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I dont get this, wasnt the AX6 Apple's entire creation? They should stop buying from Samsung

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Well, "the beginning of the year" is pretty soon, perhaps the 20% corresponds to what Samsung is looking for next year. I assume negotiations are underway.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What happened to fact-checking in journalism?
People are way too eager to be the first ones to get a potential story out.

Once read in a (kind of political) magazine in a retraction of an article: "We printed this article because we had a declaration under oath by X that these facts were true. We are now retracting this article because we have a declaration under oath by Y that these facts are wrong. Since somebody lied under oath, we are handing the matter to the police".

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
The original news paper cited by macrumors some days ago, chosun ilbo, a korean newspaper, has no credential like 'The Sun' in UK. They are 'Believe It or Not'.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Thus concludes today's lesson on how contracts work. Pretty sure that Apple isn't going to sign a contract with a supplier in which there is a clause that says "we can raise prices whenever we feel like it."

In negotiations? Sure. On a whim against a contract? No.

ijha

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
The original news paper cited by macrumors some days ago, chosun ilbo, a korean newspaper, has no credential like 'The Sun' in UK. They are 'Believe It or Not'.

You're spot on. The Chosun Ilbo is almost garbage nowadays.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Well, "the beginning of the year" is pretty soon, perhaps the 20% corresponds to what Samsung is looking for next year. I assume negotiations are underway.

I suspect it is more of that ilk. Apple is cutting orders to Samsung to spread the wealth so Samsung is asking for 20% more money for what they are making to make up one of the lost income

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Thus concludes today's lesson on how contracts work. Pretty sure that Apple isn't going to sign a contract with a supplier in which there is a clause that says "we can raise prices whenever we feel like it."

Crazy talk

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Once read in a (kind of political) magazine in a retraction of an article: "We printed this article because we had a declaration under oath by X that these facts were true. We are now retracting this article because we have a declaration under oath by Y that these facts are wrong. Since somebody lied under oath, we are handing the matter to the police".

How does that "oath to the media" go?

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
It will be interesting to see if there are as many posts and digressions as there were in the previous article claiming to have the price hike.

This kinda shows that it is best not to get too worked up over rumors....hmmm....I may catch flack for that statement since I am on a Rumors site. :)

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008

Exactly. Not only that, but it damages Samsung's reputation as a supplier for others. Companies like their suppliers to be predictable; not to force arbitrary price hikes against certain customers as an emotive response to them enforcing their legal rights.

If I'm buying components from Samsung, how do I know they won't one day consider me too competitive to their business and inflate their wholesale prices? I don't, so I won't buy from them (or will at least limit what I buy from them).

----------

I suspect it is more of that ilk. Apple is cutting orders to Samsung to spread the wealth so Samsung is asking for 20% more money for what they are making to make up one of the lost income

Obviously I don't know the terms of the contract, but I'd suspect it isn't based on calendar years.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
How does that "oath to the media" go?

Anywhere in the world, you can make a statement, and people can decide whether to believe it or not. If you talk to a magazine, they can decide whether to believe you or not. If they believe you and it is interesting, they'll print it. If they don't believe you, they won't print it.

In Germany, you can make any statement and make a declaration under oath that it is true. It is a crime to do that if the statement is actually false. So if you talk to a magazine, and they don't want to print it because they don't believe it, you call a lawyer as a witness, and declare under oath that you are saying the truth. They will now believe you. If it turns out that you lied, you are in trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.