Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:15 AM   #1
pmontanarella
macrumors 6502

MacBook Charger - Different Wattage?

Hi all,

I read around that charging your mac with a charger that has a lower wattage then the one "made" for your mac is bad on the battery. I read here that the correct charger for my Mac is (Late 2008, Aluminum MacBook) is 60W and that is the wattage on the charger I'm using right now (one from the Late 2009 Unibody MacBook). However, I noticed today that the charger that actually shipped with my Mac was 85W? Do you think Apple made a mistake or what? One the website it says that 60W is the right power for my Mac so I assume using the charger i use now (60W) won't do anything bad. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Pietro
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:18 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Using a power adapter of lower wattage than what came with your Mac will not damage the battery, but it may not provide enough power for it. Using a higher wattage than the original adapter won't harm the battery, either.

Intel-Based Apple notebooks: Identifying the right power adapter and power cord

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:15 PM   #3
pmontanarella
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Using a power adapter of lower wattage than what came with your Mac will not damage the battery, but it may not provide enough power for it. Using a higher wattage than the original adapter won't harm the battery, either.

Intel-Based Apple notebooks: Identifying the right power adapter and power cord

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
Thanks, i've used it for a while now and it seemed that it was able to keep it fully charged also while powering the mac itself.

Thanks,
Pietro

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Tags
battery, charger, macbook, wattage