Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
hi all, I am looking at buying an apple tv gen 1 or 2 and would like to know if the gen 1 can be jailbroke untethered? I havent seen any mention of the first gen being able to do so. Also, wouldnt the 160gb gen 1 be basically the same device as the gen 2? I can find the gen 1 for alot less than the gen 2 prices i have seen. thanks in advance...

jpix55

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Southern California
hi all, I am looking at buying an apple tv gen 1 or 2 and would like to know if the gen 1 can be jailbroke untethered? I havent seen any mention of the first gen being able to do so. Also, wouldnt the 160gb gen 1 be basically the same device as the gen 2? I can find the gen 1 for alot less than the gen 2 prices i have seen. thanks in advance...

ATV1 can be jailbroken. There are many options, Firecore/Seas0nPass are two of them.

ATV1 has an internal HD, while ATV2 does not. So to store media on the actual device, you'd need an ATV1.

As a side note: ATV3 can NOT be jailbroken.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
ATV1 can be jailbroken. There are many options, Firecore/Seas0nPass are two of them.

ATV1 has an internal HD, while ATV2 does not. So to store media on the actual device, you'd need an ATV1.

As a side note: ATV3 can NOT be jailbroken.

thanks for the reply jp. can the atv1 be jailbroken to use the untethered method? that is what i wanted to know for sure, well that and it the atv1 160gb a good choice to buy or is the atv2 a better unit?

jpix55

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Southern California
thanks for the reply jp. can the atv1 be jailbroken to use the untethered method? that is what i wanted to know for sure, well that and it the atv1 160gb a good choice to buy or is the atv2 a better unit?

I have a jailbroken ATV1, it is untethered, and it works great. It was given to me jailbroken, but I believe the previous user used Firecore.

As far as which is a better unit, it all depends on what you want to use it for. For me, I wanted it jailbroken so I could plug an external HD to the back and watch movies in different format, like .mkv. However, I recently converted all my movies to an iTunes friendly .m4v so I don't really use that feature anymore.

If you give me an idea of what you want to do with ATV, I might be able to offer some suggestions.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Thanks. What I want to do is along the same lines as you. My movie collection(which I am putting into iTunes)so I don't really need the HDTV either is suppose. The big thing is I can find the 1 much cheaper than the 2 but don't wanna miss out on anything either. I definitely want to be able to use it untethered so I don't have to keep it hooked to a pc. Will the 1 still work wirelessly with my iPhone and iPad? I feel like these are some stupid questions but I am really clueless as I just got into apple products a month or so ago with my first device being the iPhone. I liked it so much I sold my android tablet and got an iPad. I have never used a Mac, only pc so I don't know if I need a Mac or can the jailbreak be done using a pc? Thanks again....

jpix55

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Southern California
Here are the features for the ATV1: http://firecore.com/atvflash

Here are the feature for the ATV2: http://firecore.com/atvflash-black

You do not necessarily need to pay for that method, but it is an option and give you an overview of the benefits of each ATV. Both are untethered so don't worry about that. Their FAQ states that their jailbreak works with both Mac and PC.

The ATV1 can still work with iPhones and iPads, but you cannot AirPlay in the sense that the word is used by Apple now. You are unable to AirPlay video or mirror your screen, but you CAN "AirPlay" music from a computer with iTunes (I'm actually not sure if you can AirPlay music from an iPhone or iPad because I have not attempted to in a while and can't remember. I'll have to check that out and get back to you).

As far as which one to purchase, the ATV2 has access to Netflix, Hulu, MLB, etc. and the ATV1 does not. So,if those apps are a must for you or the possibility of mirroring any app from your iPad to your TV is desired, then the ATV2 is your device.

The ATV2 is priced higher because it CAN be jailbroken so it's like there is a "tax" on it, but that's a decision you'll have to make.

Some other options:

Check out Plex Media Server. It allows you to use your computer as a media server and broadcast your media throughout the same network. You can then download the Plex App for iPad or iPhone and watch movies that way.

If you want to stream to your TV using an ATV, you'll need a jailbroken ATV2 to run Plex (ATV3 cannot be jailbroken at this time). OR, you can use the Plex app to watch a movie, then Airplay the movie to your ATV and watch it that way. A Roku WILL allow Plex to be installed, so that's another option if you do not mind leaving the Apple ecosystem.

In order to play movie files on an iDevice, they need to be .m4v. So, if your movies are already in that format, then you could just copy them into your iTunes library, turn on HomeSharing, and watch them through your AppleTV. If they are not in .m4v, then you can convert them using Handbrake.

Basically, in order to wirelessly stream media, you need an AppleTV, Roku or something connected to your TV and some sort of media server running on a computer.

OR

You can "alt-click" the files from the external HD and drag them to iTunes. Using the alt key will not copy the entire file over from the HD, rather it will create a "link" in iTunes to that file. That way, your your computer's internal HD does not get overcrowded with movies, but you can still Homeshare the files to an AppleTV.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
One option to consider is to forget about external Boxes like Roku and Apple TV. If you bought a smart TV recently or plan to get one Most of them support DLNA and Plex media server also support DLNA.

I have a recently purchased Samsung tv and use DLNA to access all my media with A plex Media server running on an Apple Mini.

There is a Plex app in development for the Samsung TV that will eventually appear on the Samsung store but it is not yet released for the latest TV's.

Not sure there is any longer a benefit in any of these external boxes when the latest TV's support a long list of apps like Neflex, Love Film, Iplayer etc.

jpix55

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Southern California
One option to consider is to forget about external Boxes like Roku and Apple TV. If you bought a smart TV recently or plan to get one Most of them support DLNA and Plex media server also support DLNA.

I have a recently purchased Samsung tv and use DLNA to access all my media with A plex Media server running on an Apple Mini.

There is a Plex app in development for the Samsung TV that will eventually appear on the Samsung store but it is not yet released for the latest TV's.

Not sure there is any longer a benefit in any of these external boxes when the latest TV's support a long list of apps like Neflex, Love Film, Iplayer etc.

A great option as well! However, sometimes it more cost efficient to purchase a $99 ATV to extend the features and capabilities of an already perfectly functioning TV than it is to upgrade to a brand new TV.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Ok, just bought a new sealed atv2. Can anybody give me some guidance to get started? Is there a website that shows start to finish? Will I need to update os first,etc? Thanks again all.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Ok, just bought a new sealed atv2. Can anybody give me some guidance to get started? Is there a website that shows start to finish? Will I need to update os first,etc? Thanks again all.

Here's a thread on how to jailbreak, install XBMC, and enable Hulu (free version) and the Free Cable plugin on ATV2.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1305573/

-(free Hulu is the version anyone can access for free on a computer, and provides recent episodes without the $8/ month fee that Hulu Plus requires. Also, you can completely disable commercials)
-Free Cable is a plugin for XBMC that streams TV shows from the respective TV Networks websites. IE: if a network like Fox or CBS lets you watch a show streaming from their website, then the Free Cable plugin finds that data stream and plays it for you on your Apple TV 2, without commercials.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
It's really sad how much apple tv 2nd gens go for on ebay. You can buy a new 3rd gen direct from apple for less, yet in my opinion - the 2nd gen is worth it.

If that doesn't send a message to Apple...

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008

While I agree the latest TVs have some great built-in functionality, there's something to be said for usability.

I was just at my Aunt's house helping her set up some things on her Samsung Smart TV (she has a version that is less than a year old). I set her up with Netflix, another app to listen to radio stations, and a Picasa app so she can see her uploaded Picasa photos on her TV.

The functionality is great. The use-ability, not-so-great. It's not just how the GUI is laid out, which is not bad, but seems very "busy" to me, and it's odd that certain "apps" are listed in the main bin and others are "Samsung Recommends" Apps but are not listed with the others as well. (If I delete a "recommends", can I get it back?). The main frustrating part is the responsiveness of the system to a given button-press. On the Samsung, I see the icon I want to select (say the Picasa app), and I use the arrows to move the cursor over to it. Press, wait, watch cursor move, press again, wait, watch cursor move, get frustrated and press a bunch of times, wait, see the cursor jump ahead quickly. Sometimes it is somewhat responsive, sometimes the TV is "thinking" and you can't tell whether the button press was even registered by the TV or not, or whether it was registered but the TV is just thinking without giving you a "standby" indicator of any kind.

So, yes, it works. And in that sense these standalone boxes may not be strictly speaking necessary for much longer. But in general I'd say it's a more frustrating and less comfortable experience than using an Apple TV. That's not to say Apple TV's don't have their problems, but on useability I'd say they are better. And that's important because a user is more likely to use the Smart feature AT ALL if it's a comfortable experience. I don't know about you, but most of my family members (especially those of older generations) are somewhat technophobic.

(All that said, it's unclear to me whether the delays I was experiencing on the smart TV were caused by the TV's processors or the internet connection.)

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Here's a thread on how to jailbreak, install XBMC, and enable Hulu (free version) and the Free Cable plugin on ATV2.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1305573/

-(free Hulu is the version anyone can access for free on a computer, and provides recent episodes without the $8/ month fee that Hulu Plus requires. Also, you can completely disable commercials)
-Free Cable is a plugin for XBMC that streams TV shows from the respective TV Networks websites. IE: if a network like Fox or CBS lets you watch a show streaming from their website, then the Free Cable plugin finds that data stream and plays it for you on your Apple TV 2, without commercials.

Well I am back to looking for another gen2. I bought the one yesterday new in the box from a seller with 3 feedback on eBay for $140 shipped. Last night I get a message saying he is going to ship it first class mail unless I pay him $12.95 extra for regular shipping. I told him I wasn't paying nothing extra and if he wanted to use first class go ahead but I suggested he put delivery confirmation on it because if it got lost I wasn't going to be the one eating it. This morning I get a message from PayPal saying my payment had been refunded with a message saying his dad had dropped it this morning and damaged it. I then get a message from him on eBay saying he couldn't complete the transaction because his dad needed it for work. If there is one thing I can't stand is a liar, so I left him a negative feedback. I then got a message from him crying about how he couldn't believe I left him bad feedback and he asked if I would consider changing it because it would hurt him when he goes to sell other items, I told him I couldn't stand a liar and I hope it was worth the extra few bucks he got for it from somewhere else.:mad:
Now, I am on the look out for another....

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Well I am back to looking for another gen2. I bought the one yesterday new in the box from a seller with 3 feedback on eBay for $140 shipped. Last night I get a message saying he is going to ship it first class mail unless I pay him $12.95 extra for regular shipping. I told him I wasn't paying nothing extra and if he wanted to use first class go ahead but I suggested he put delivery confirmation on it because if it got lost I wasn't going to be the one eating it. This morning I get a message from PayPal saying my payment had been refunded with a message saying his dad had dropped it this morning and damaged it. I then get a message from him on eBay saying he couldn't complete the transaction because his dad needed it for work. If there is one thing I can't stand is a liar, so I left him a negative feedback. I then got a message from him crying about how he couldn't believe I left him bad feedback and he asked if I would consider changing it because it would hurt him when he goes to sell other items, I told him I couldn't stand a liar and I hope it was worth the extra few bucks he got for it from somewhere else.:mad:
Now, I am on the look out for another....

Good, I completely agree with you.
He was trying to scam you for more money anyway.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Good, I completely agree with you.
He was trying to scam you for more money anyway.

got another one today. this time from a legit ebay seller with numerous feedback. $139.00 shipped. I would like to thank everyone for the help and guidance. Hopefully this time next week I will be up and running...

Update: it has shipped!:D

Last edited:

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
dammit I was planning on buying the newest apple TV but didn't know it couldn't be jailbroken. Probably just buy a media remote for my xbox 360 then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.