Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Well, after a while of being set on the 1TB Fusion Drive, I have decided to just go with the standard 1TB HDD in the new 27"... here is why.

I am placing my bets that every new 27" iMac has a slot for Apple's proprietary flash module (which OWC already has aftermarket modules for the rMBP, and they look to be the same ones in the new iMac), and that the display will be able to be removed in a similar fashion to the current iMac (held in place by magnets). If I am correct about these 2 points, which both make sense to me, I will be installing my own flash module sometime later down the road.

I have also read through the AppleCare policy and it doesn't say anything about voiding the warranty by opening the case, it just states that the aftermarket parts will not be covered.

So, the configuration I have now settled on is the top 27" ($1999) with the 680MX graphics (+$300ish)... RAM and SSD I will do myself. Might do the i7 if the cost is around $150 (retail difference between the two CPU's is $110, so it should be in the $150 ballpark).

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I am placing my bets that every new 27" iMac has a slot for Apple's proprietary flash module (which OWC already has aftermarket modules for the rMBP, and they look to be the same ones in the new iMac), and that the display will be able to be removed in a similar fashion to the current iMac (held in place by magnets).

At least since you're waiting for the 27", you'll know the answer to this from the 21". I'm betting you're right on the first point, and wrong on the second - I'm expecting the screen to be glued in.

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
At least since you're waiting for the 27", you'll know the answer to this from the 21". I'm betting you're right on the first point, and wrong on the second - I'm expecting the screen to be glued in.

Good point! Unless they let us order the 27" at the same time as the 21"... either way, PLEASE no glue!

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
The screen on the pre-2012 iMacs is not held on by magnets. It's only the outer glass that's held on by magnets. The display itself is attached to the chassis by screws. Since the 2012 screen is laminated to the front glass it may be risky to rely solely on magnets to hold it in place. It would also be risky to have the screen glued in place, due to possible damage in removal. On the 2012 iMacs, the chassis, with all components, is a plate directly behind the screen and the back is a hollow shell with no components attached. It could be possible that the back is directly detachable from the chassis as in the Macbooks. Then the iMac's guts would be directly accessible, and the screen would be attached by screws from the back.

tuccillo

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
Based on the mac mini price, I would guess the fusion drive option (adding a 128 GB SSD) adds $250. This is roughly 10% of the cost of the system with your other options. Assuming you can get the functional equivalent for half of what Apple charges (say $125) or perhaps a larger SSD for the same price as Apple, do you really want to crack open the box for essentially a 5-10% cost savings? If you do go ahead, please post your experiences. Thanks.

Well, after a while of being set on the 1TB Fusion Drive, I have decided to just go with the standard 1TB HDD in the new 27"... here is why.

I am placing my bets that every new 27" iMac has a slot for Apple's proprietary flash module (which OWC already has aftermarket modules for the rMBP, and they look to be the same ones in the new iMac), and that the display will be able to be removed in a similar fashion to the current iMac (held in place by magnets). If I am correct about these 2 points, which both make sense to me, I will be installing my own flash module sometime later down the road.

I have also read through the AppleCare policy and it doesn't say anything about voiding the warranty by opening the case, it just states that the aftermarket parts will not be covered.

So, the configuration I have now settled on is the top 27" ($1999) with the 680MX graphics (+$300ish)... RAM and SSD I will do myself. Might do the i7 if the cost is around $150 (retail difference between the two CPU's is $110, so it should be in the $150 ballpark).

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
I ordered LaCie's external thunderbolt drive (120 GB) in preparation for my otherwise-maxxed 27" (680MX etc) and I'm forgoing the fusion drive.

I also suspect the connector will be inside the machine but empty and at some point in the future I might be able to add a large internal SSD.

As it stands now, I'm getting 3 years of (essentially) AppleCare from the UK HE deal, and I'll have a blazing fast SSD boot drive that sits quietly behind my machine.

Seems like a good way to do it to me.

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
The screen on the pre-2012 iMacs is not held on by magnets. It's only the outer glass that's held on by magnets. The display itself is attached to the chassis by screws. Since the 2012 screen is laminated to the front glass it may be risky to rely solely on magnets to hold it in place. It would also be risky to have the screen glued in place, due to possible damage in removal. On the 2012 iMacs, the chassis, with all components, is a plate directly behind the screen and the back is a hollow shell with no components attached. It could be possible that the back is directly detachable from the chassis as in the Macbooks. Then the iMac's guts would be directly accessible, and the screen would be attached by screws from the back.

I know that the glass and display are 1 piece, I figured since they reduced the size and weight of the LCD so much that they could still use the magnets to hold both (there are some very strong magnets out there!).

Also, by the looks of the photos taken at the iMac event, there is no way to remove the back. No matter how the display is attached, it looks like the only way in is through the front. I agree about glue being too harsh though, I wouldn't think they would make it that hard on themselves for repair purposes.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
the display will be able to be removed in a similar fashion to the current iMac (held in place by magnets).

Pretty sure they came up with some bogus excuse like "We had to glue the glass onto it to get the screen to be so close!".

If you want to do this, you should wait for iFixit to report before buying one.

Phx08

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Good thread, i'd be interested in this avenue of upgrading later on as the prices of SSDs come down as with everything else in technology.

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Pretty sure they came up with some bogus excuse like "We had to glue the glass onto it to get the screen to be so close!".

If you want to do this, you should wait for iFixit to report before buying one.

Hopefully the 21" will be torn down by the time we can order the 27". I just know that if I wait at all to order a 27" BTO that I will be waiting 4+ weeks for delivery. But, that might be the best route to just wait... I absolutely hate waiting though!

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Here is a screenshot of the internals of the 27" from the iMac event. This is as you are looking at the back of the iMac.
One thing I can take from this is that the logic board will have to be removed to get to the flash slot (which will be a pain), but I can't see anything obvious that would relate to how the display is held in place. A view from the front would be oh so helpful!

27InternalBack.png

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Here is a screenshot of the internals of the 27" from the iMac event. This is as you are looking at the back of the iMac.
One thing I can take from this is that the logic board will have to be removed to get to the flash slot (which will be a pain), but I can't see anything obvious that would relate to how the display is held in place. A view from the front would be oh so helpful!

View attachment 377305

Maybe everything (including the chin) is pulled forward along with the display... leaving just an empty shell behind. This could be the case if logic board is attached to the back of the display.

/Jim

SpecAU

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
Looking at those arms that extend into the chin. I'm going to guess it clips in at the top and slides in over the chin with those arms.

Remember the friction stur welding. The aluminum part is one big welded piece apparently.

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
Maybe everything (including the chin) is pulled forward along with the display... leaving just an empty shell behind. This could be the case if logic board is attached to the back of the display.

/Jim

Looking at those arms that extend into the chin. I'm going to guess it clips in at the top and slides in over the chin with those arms.

Remember the friction stur welding. The aluminum part is one big welded piece apparently.

I thought that may be the case, everything attached to the display with an empty shell back, until I studied the layout a little more.

27InternalBackNotations.png

If you look close, there are several silver standoffs (green) coming off of the logic board and power supply board to allow them to be attached to the backplate with proper clearance.
There are also black flush mount attachment points (blue) on the HDD, fan assembly, and what looks like the air exhaust port over the CPU which allows them to be mounted directly to the backplate also.
Now, what I have marked in red is interesting to me, can't quite tell if those are attachment points of some kind or what. I'm thinking that the large black pieces on both sides are part of the sound system (resonance chambers)/integral to the cooling system (keeping the airflow where it is needed and away from empty space where it is not needed).

All of this tells me that the display will be separate from at least the major components inside, and that it will definitely be a pain to get to the flash (but still possible).
I still think the display might use magnets, or it might clip in like was mentioned.

Just a little more food for thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.