Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:01 PM   #1
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Any Disk Warrior Guru's out there?

I have a copy of Disc Warrior 4.3. The issue I am having is I have an external HD (Lacie Quadra D2) that will not mount. I would like to see if I can recover the files on it. Can anyone provide some advice what steps to take in order to try to recover the data from the EHD?

Please don't tell me to contact Alsoft, as it turns out I bought an illegal license (yes I know stupid me!) so I"m not eligible for support directly from Alsoft.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:44 PM   #2
LaCieTech
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaufmann87 View Post
I have a copy of Disc Warrior 4.3. The issue I am having is I have an external HD (Lacie Quadra D2) that will not mount. I would like to see if I can recover the files on it. Can anyone provide some advice what steps to take in order to try to recover the data from the EHD?

Please don't tell me to contact Alsoft, as it turns out I bought an illegal license (yes I know stupid me!) so I"m not eligible for support directly from Alsoft.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Hello,

DiskWarrior has its best chances of working when you can see the drive volume in Disk Utility and it still has its volume name. If the drive is not visible in Disk Utility or has a different volume name (like disk1v3 or something similar) then its not likely you'll be able to use Disk Warrior.

Give our techs a call at 503.844.4500 (USA) or www.lacie.com/mystuff to investigate what kind of failure you have and how it might be solved.

~mn, LaCie
LaCieTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:52 PM   #3
thekev
macrumors 603

You have to be able to mount the device for disk warrior to run. There really is no way to use such software if it can't be detected. This appears to be a model that uses a single drive. You could tear out the hard drive in case it's just a burnt out bridgeport or something like that, but you'd need somewhere to mount the drive via a dock, another enclosure, etc. This would void all warranties as well, and there's no guarantee it will work. It's just that if the point of failure is something other than the internal drive and this isn't one of the Raid 0 disk types, there's always a chance the internal drive will be okay. If it was data I cared about, I would personally try this.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:03 AM   #4
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
You have to be able to mount the device for disk warrior to run. There really is no way to use such software if it can't be detected. This appears to be a model that uses a single drive. You could tear out the hard drive in case it's just a burnt out bridgeport or something like that, but you'd need somewhere to mount the drive via a dock, another enclosure, etc. This would void all warranties as well, and there's no guarantee it will work. It's just that if the point of failure is something other than the internal drive and this isn't one of the Raid 0 disk types, there's always a chance the internal drive will be okay. If it was data I cared about, I would personally try this.
Thanks for the reply and I was afraid that was the conclusion I was going to come to. I do have another enclosure I can swap the drive with and plan on doing that. I'm hoping it's just a failed enclosure, if so the fix is pretty straightforward. However if it's a failed HD then it's going to be pretty painful but that's what I get for not backing the thing up!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:15 PM   #5
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaufmann87 View Post
Thanks for the reply and I was afraid that was the conclusion I was going to come to. I do have another enclosure I can swap the drive with and plan on doing that. I'm hoping it's just a failed enclosure, if so the fix is pretty straightforward. However if it's a failed HD then it's going to be pretty painful but that's what I get for not backing the thing up!
Well it won't be warrantied at that point. I know if it was me and something wasn't backed up, my only concern would be the data. Given the cheap firewire bridgeports and cheap cooling systems, it's always possible. You can always try tech support first. It's just that professional data retrieval is extremely expensive.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:27 AM   #6
cla9614
macrumors newbie

New MacBook Pro Question

I have a new MacBook Pro (circa Nov 2012) and I was wondering when Alsoft would release an update that can boot my device?? I'm on the latest OS (Mountain Lion). I'd really like to run this utility on my notebook.

Thanks for the support!!

P.S. - I have Disk Warrior 4.4

iMac - Mid 2011
13" MBP - 2012

Last edited by cla9614; Jan 17, 2013 at 12:33 AM.
cla9614 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store