Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:36 AM   #1
Dc2006ster
macrumors member

Best place to install a SSD in a Mac Pro 1.1

I already have an OWC SSD installed in the spare optical bay and connected to one of the 2 sata connectors on the motherboard. Works very well as a boot and applications drive.

A local dealer had a good price ($89) on a Crucial 128GB M4 so I picked one up. My question now is where is the best place to install this 2nd SSD? In the optical bay again using the other SATA connector on the motherboard? In one of the hard drive sleds? Or in an external enclosure with eSATA connection to my LaCie 2 port SATA card in one of the PCI slots. THere may be other issues but my concern is which method would give the maximum performance.

Apologies if I have used incorrect terminology. Hope you get the picture.

Thanks

Last edited by Dc2006ster; Nov 14, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Dc2006ster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:55 PM   #2
ssgbryan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2006ster View Post
I already have an OWC SSD installed in the spare optical bay and connected to one of the 2 sata connectors on the motherboard. Works very well as a boot and applications drive.

A local dealer had a good price ($89) on a Crucial 128GB M4 so I picked one up. My question now is where is the best place to install this 2nd SSD? In the optical bay again using the other SATA connector on the motherboard? In one of the hard drive sleds? Or in an external enclosure with eSATA connection to my LaCie 2 port SATA card in one of the PCI slots. THere may be other issues but my concern is which method would give the maximum performance.

Apologies if I have used incorrect terminology. Hope you get the picture.

Thanks
I have both of mine (see sig.) sitting under the optical bay. I use the 2 sata ports on the motherboard & a y-power connecter.

I picked up a Pro Caddy 2:
http://www.transintl.com/store/categ...?category=2790

just to keep everything neat.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Dc2006ster
macrumors member

I have an OWC item that does the same thing so I could put both in the optical bay. I was really asking which arrangement would give faster speeds.
Dc2006ster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:39 AM   #4
rGiskard
macrumors 6502

Lower optical bay, no question about it. Get two SATA cables and run both of them from the logic board SATA ports to the lower optical bay. When the need arises, you can add a second SSD :P

Forget that nonsense about a "pro caddy" for $90. Get a set of mounting brackets that will hold two SSDs, something like these from newegg (total about $12):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817994073
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817990015

Don't forget a power splitter, you'll need a molex to two SATA like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812191171

Total cost is under $25 and you'll have a second 2.5" bay waiting for that second SSD you know you'll want in a few weeks.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:39 AM   #5
fiatlux
macrumors regular

I'd vote for the lower optical bay as well.

I did not care about a caddy or a bracket: my SSD just sits loose in the bay but who cares? I'm not wandering around with my Mac Pro and SSDs have no moving parts inside anyway.

Note that I used the second SATA connector on the mobo for my new optical disk drive (a Blu-Ray burner ). But as I have a SATA/eSATA PCIe card too, I have a spare internal SATA connector on that one that I could use for a second SSD.

If you run out of SATA connectors, one more option is to get a PCIe SATA card with built-in SSD support, such as the Sonnet Tempo SSD (but there are others). You may be limited by the PCIe speed, though, and not benefit from SATA-3.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro