Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:20 AM   #1
ViperDesign
macrumors 6502a

Trackpad worth it?

I debated on whether to get it. Is it worth it? Better than a mouse?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:21 AM   #2
MacDawg
macrumors P6

I use both for different things
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:22 AM   #3
ViperDesign
macrumors 6502a

So which one do you use most?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:22 AM   #4
maflynn

This is completely personal preference. I hate the track pad so no to me its not worth it. To others they love it over the mouse.

Only you can truely determine whether it will work for you. Do you like using a Laptop's trackpad over the mouse? If so then yeah buy it, if not stick with the mouse
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:25 AM   #5
slayerizer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperDesign View Post
I debated on whether to get it. Is it worth it? Better than a mouse?
I prefer the trackpad and use a wacom tablet for photoshop stuff. I find it hard when I go back to the pc with my standard mouse! I didn't like the magic mouse that much.
slayerizer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:27 AM   #6
bflowers
macrumors 6502

I ordered the trackpad. My primary computer for the last 9 years has been a laptop (ok really longer than that, but I got a iMac 11 years ago when my wife took my Pismo for daily use in law school). I prefer the trackpad for most things, but have a few mice around for when I need them.
bflowers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:27 AM   #7
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
This is completely personal preference. I hate the track pad so no to me its not worth it. To others they love it over the mouse.

Only you can truely determine whether it will work for you. Do you like using a Laptop's trackpad over the mouse? If so then yeah buy it, if not stick with the mouse
I agree. I tried the MTP on two occasions. I bought one during the Snow Leopard Days and didn't care for it, sold it and moved on. Then when Lion came out, I bought another one hoping for a renewed desire to get used to it, but I just couldn't and sold that one too.

I work better with a mouse.

But, it's totally user preference whether one likes it or not.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Donza
macrumors newbie

Ordered mine with Trackpad mainly because Apple's Magic Mouse is pretty much useless to me.

However Magic Trackpad feels quite comfortable in gesture driven Mountain Lion, and I definitely plan to use it for casual stuff like browsing etc. For Photoshop, video editing and gaming I anyway plan to buy mouse separately.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:46 AM   #9
bgsnmky
macrumors regular

you can have both attached to the computer at the same time right.

I see using the mouse most of the time, except for photos and zooming in on the web etc...

but I don't want to have to unplug and plug one in etc.
bgsnmky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:00 AM   #10
RedSunshine
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsnmky View Post
you can have both attached to the computer at the same time right.

I see using the mouse most of the time, except for photos and zooming in on the web etc...

but I don't want to have to unplug and plug one in etc.
They are both wireless. You can have both of them synced at the same time.

I had both but if I had to pick one, it would be the mouse. Some of the more repetitive actions that you do on a mouse are more comfortable because you can rest your whole hand on the mouse, whereas on a trackpad, there is a bit more strain on your hand. At least, this is my experience.

My kids seemed to like the trackpad better.

I recommend both.
RedSunshine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:03 AM   #11
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donza View Post
Ordered mine with Trackpad mainly because Apple's Magic Mouse is pretty much useless to me.

However Magic Trackpad feels quite comfortable in gesture driven Mountain Lion, and I definitely plan to use it for casual stuff like browsing etc. For Photoshop, video editing and gaming I anyway plan to buy mouse separately.
I did the same. I hate the magic mouse as much as I've hated every Apple mouse since the hockey puck that came with the old iMacs of yore. I use a logitech performance mx on one side, trackpad on the other. I'll actually just sell the trackpad as I just bought one about 8 months ago to use on my current iMac.

Between the mouse with 7 buttons, the trackpad and the leap motion I preordered in May, I shouldn't be short on input options... now if only I could afford a Wacom Cintiq 24HD Touch
mchoffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:09 AM   #12
Scrapula
macrumors 6502

I have both right now. I mainly use the trackpad, but sometimes need a mouse for scroll bars. I also have a Bluetooth PC gaming mouse, which I hope will still work with the new iMac.

I ordered the trackpad and will just put it up for sale on Ebay or something.
Scrapula is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:11 AM   #13
sukai
macrumors regular

I ordered the touchpad since i have gotten used to it, not sure how it will feel when using it on an iMac though. I do have a computer mouse if the touch doesn't work.

It all comes down to personal preference like everyone says, and maybe which one might be more better for certain tasks.
sukai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:19 AM   #14
squan
macrumors member

I'm gonna get the trackpad because I will use a seperate mouse for video-editing, photoshop and gaming.

The trackpad seems like the nicer option to, because it will allow me to control my iMac better from my bed.
squan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:19 AM   #15
pedromartins
macrumors member

Trackpads all the way.

Apple trackpads totally surpassed every single mouse in speed, functionality, comfort, etc. (OS gestures, Safari gestures, etc)

HOWEVER, some programs where pixel-like precision matters are better for mouses (photoshop, fps games, you know how it is).

But if you bought a new mac with ML, buy a trackpad quickly. Those that are saying for you to not buy it, are just like those that preferred the keyboard and command line to mouse and modern GUI.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:20 AM   #16
Illuminated
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Illuminated
When I had my iMac, I only used the trackpad. It seemed more natural to use.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:29 AM   #17
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by squan View Post
I'm gonna get the trackpad because I will use a seperate mouse for video-editing, photoshop and gaming.
Agreed.

Love the trackpad, but when it comes to precision I still reach for the mouse.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:37 AM   #18
GBR
macrumors regular

Trackpad FTW!! The easy use of multitouch easily makes it significantly more useful than the mouse.
15" MacBook Pro Retina & 27" Thunderbolt Display
GBR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:39 AM   #19
XionCore
macrumors member

I just love the trackpad. At first I got the not-that-magic mouse, it sucked...hard to hold in the hand, picky when it comes to table surface....
XionCore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:43 AM   #20
tubbymac
macrumors 6502a

I have both and although I prefer the trackpad for general use, it's not great for Photoshop/Illustrator. It also leads to some wrist strain for heavy prolonged use.

The mouse is better for prolonged use and for precision required in Photoshop/Illustrator... but I don't like it for general web browsing, etc.

I'm hoping Apple finally gets it right with their next mouse. Honestly most of their mice recently are pretty bad. If it weren't for the bluetooth and nice integration with the iMac, I'd probably use a Logitech mouse instead.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:56 AM   #21
pukingpixels
macrumors member

I absolutley hate the magic mouse - it's so bad it's ridiculous. In my opinion that is.

I ordered the track pad for the new 27" and I'm using a wacom stylus and intuos 5 more than the mouse anyway and l've got a gaming mouse (zowie mico) for gaming.

Last edited by pukingpixels; Nov 30, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
pukingpixels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:58 AM   #22
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Trackpad is a must. I use it for Everything. I don't game though.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:04 AM   #23
BillyBobBongo
macrumors 68000

The Trackpad is a much better option than the Magic Mouse. I own both, and the Mouse has been collecting dust ever since I picked up the Trackpad.

I use a Wacom Tablet most of the time so I use the Trackpad for gestures, I love it!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:38 AM   #24
The DRis
macrumors 6502

Yes

Best invention ever.

http://twelvesouth.com/products/magicwand/
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:45 AM   #25
pukingpixels
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DRis View Post
There it is! I've been looking for the MagicWand but I couldn't remember the name of it. Thanks.
pukingpixels is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac