Adobe Finally Releases Kuler Color-Picking App for iPhone - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 30, 2013, 12:13 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Adobe Finally Releases Kuler Color-Picking App for iPhone

Originally announced in October 2011, Adobe has finally released its Adobe Kuler color theme generation app for iPhone.

The app was to be part of a new suite of mobile apps for Adobe, meant to enhance the desktop experience for desktop artists. Currently, only three of the six apps have been released, Photoshop Touch, Ideas, and Kuler.
Quote:
Adobe® Kuler lets you capture color inspiration anywhere you find it. Capture colors from a mural, garden, or wherever you happen to be with a snap of your iPhone camera. Browse, create, and customize themes for your designs - all on your phone.

The color themes you create with the Kuler app can be synced to the Kuler website, an online community for color enthusiasts, for use with other Adobe applications such as Illustrator and Adobe Ideas.

Whether you're a designer, artist, developer, hobbyist, craft maker, or just somebody who loves color, Kuler will transform your phone into the ultimate color inspiration tool.
Adobe Kuler is a free download for the iPhone on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Adobe Finally Releases Kuler Color-Picking App for iPhone
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 12:41 PM   #2
littledude8209
macrumors regular

I thought all of the other apps were killed off.

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud...p-development/

Kuler, Ideas, and Photoshop Touch are all that remain.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:44 PM   #3
soupmix
macrumors newbie

Only 3 Released?

Quote:
Currently, only three of the six apps have been released, Photoshop Touch, Ideas, and Kuler.
Actually Collage and Proto were released - I have them on my iPad at the moment. Collage was a bit odd and Proto was okay, but they were both released.
soupmix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 01:31 PM   #4
HiRez
macrumors 601

Glad to have this, but when is Apple going to let us calibrate our iOS device screens? Would love to manually tweak it, or even better, use my ColorMunki calibrator on it.
Old May 30, 2013, 01:46 PM   #5
trainwrecka
macrumors regular

This is a really cool app. So quick at getting color choices.
trainwrecka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

*YAWN* Wake me up when there's iPad support. Tired of all these apps not being universal.

Tired of being able to open phone apps in fullscreen on an Android tablet and it looking horrible at 2x on an iPad. I mean, COME ON! If Apple already had the APIs for apps to just fill whatever space, why isn't this possible on the iPad? Why can Instagram look good on a 7" tablet and not on an iPad Mini?

SERIOUS question! I've used Kuler on my Kindle Fire before with no issues.
Old May 30, 2013, 02:06 PM   #7
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
Glad to have this, but when is Apple going to let us calibrate our iOS device screens? Would love to manually tweak it, or even better, use my ColorMunki calibrator on it.
Youre just looking at it wrong.
winston1236 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 02:06 PM   #8
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
*YAWN* Wake me up when there's iPad support. Tired of all these apps not being universal.

Tired of being able to open phone apps in fullscreen on an Android tablet and it looking horrible at 2x on an iPad. I mean, COME ON! If Apple already had the APIs for apps to just fill whatever space, why isn't this possible on the iPad? Why can Instagram look good on a 7" tablet and not on an iPad Mini?

must be a A5 thing, it looked like crap on my iPad 2 too but it looks crystal clear on my iPad 3
Old May 30, 2013, 02:13 PM   #9
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:

Its possible on the iPad, but developers have to put it in the code. Why they don't is beyond me.
Old May 30, 2013, 02:21 PM   #10
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Thats why jailbreak exists - there is an app for that
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 02:36 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
must be a A5 thing, it looked like crap on my iPad 2 too but it looks crystal clear on my iPad 3
It's a Retina thing. It'll show the upscaling properly on Retina displays, but not on the iPad 1, 2, or Mini.
Old May 30, 2013, 02:44 PM   #12
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I thought the color gamut was near 100% accurate on these retina displays, how to improve on perfection?
gatearray is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 04:18 PM   #13
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502

Handy for web development. Just wish Adobe would allow you to convert the RGB to CMYK values or, better yet, give you Pantone suggestions. That would be killer.
Old May 30, 2013, 06:23 PM   #14
Ironclaw27
macrumors newbie

Unfortunately my camera (3GS) is a potato, so the only colours i'll get will be brown, light brown, and potato peel brown.
Ironclaw27 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 10:35 PM   #15
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
I thought the color gamut was near 100% accurate on these retina displays, how to improve on perfection?
The gamut just describes the range of possible colors, you still need to calibrate for accuracy so you can tell your pink from your fuchsia. iPhone and iPad screens are usually decent from the factory as these things go, but they are not optimal.
Old May 31, 2013, 01:07 AM   #16
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Quote:

RetinaPad and FullForce for iPad. Boom.
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 04:54 AM   #17
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd View Post
RetinaPad and FullForce for iPad. Boom.
I lost my jailbreak.
Old May 31, 2013, 08:21 AM   #18
Elbon
macrumors 6502

iOS auto-layout is weak

Quote:
If Apple already had the APIs for apps to just fill whatever space, why isn't this possible on the iPad?
The problem is that auto-layout didn't exist in earlier versions of iOS, and the implementation in the current version is weak. It is difficult to use and not very flexible.

On the other hand, a robust layout management system has been built into Android since day one. So it is much easier to write apps for Android that scale to arbitrary device dimensions.

Don't get me wrong - I love iOS. The lack of a decent auto-layout system is actually my biggest gripe with it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
Its possible on the iPad, but developers have to put it in the code. Why they don't is beyond me.
Developers don't do it because it is not as easy as it should be. Apple really needs to improve the development experience in this area.
Elbon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 10:15 AM   #19
blitzer09x87
macrumors 6502

this app is awesome, really fast and smooth.
adobe is making really awesome apps.
blitzer09x87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 12:53 PM   #20
otismotive77
macrumors 6502

really awesome app, cool editing features, i love it.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 01:09 PM   #21
beaniemyman
Banned

adobe has done it again! awesome app with lots of options and customization. highly recommended.
beaniemyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 11:32 PM   #22
verniesgarden
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to verniesgarden
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinfulton.ca View Post
Handy for web development. Just wish Adobe would allow you to convert the RGB to CMYK values or, better yet, give you Pantone suggestions. That would be killer.
*cough cough* ... It's coming...
Old Jun 2, 2013, 02:13 AM   #23
genshi
macrumors 6502a

I'm really liking the app; used it to get the color scheme of my Waldorf synth -

Thumb resize.
Once they reactivate the syncing for Creative Cloud and update the Suite of desktop apps (June 17th) this will be extra killer, as the color palettes will show up in Photoshop and Illustrator (I think the public swatches are currently searchable in the panel, but your actual account will apparently show up with the coming update.)
genshi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2013, 01:54 PM   #24
severe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzer09x87 View Post
this app is awesome, really fast and smooth.
adobe is making really awesome apps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otismotive77 View Post
really awesome app, cool editing features, i love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemyman View Post
adobe has done it again! awesome app with lots of options and customization. highly recommended.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion