Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:35 PM   #1
MsDalfo
macrumors member

Will prices drop in the refurb store once the new 2012 model is on the shelves?

I'm very interested in getting a 27" 2011 refurb off of Apple's website. I ordered one the other day, but called shortly (hours) after and returned it; I have decided to wait until after the new machine has come out. It was too late; it's coming in the mail anyway on Friday, ha. I'll be shipping it back.

Do any of you know if the prices will drop on the refurbs once the 2012s are physically available? Will they start stocking newer models (newer than May 2011)? I am very inexperienced with the refurb store.

Another unrelated question: Will the refurbs still have the harddrive issues, or can I assume that the affected ones would be replaced? And I assume they are still susceptible to the dust/condensation screen problems, right?

Thanks.

Last edited by MsDalfo; Nov 14, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
MsDalfo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:01 PM   #2
amemoryoncelost
macrumors 6502

I wondered this as well. But also thought about how quick they'll go if the price does drop. I mean, I suppose you could look at the iPad and iPod touches as an example. They're selling previous generations at a discounted price. But I wouldn't count on them sticking around for very long. I bit the bullet and purchased a 27" i7 tonight
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"Will prices drop in the refurb store once the new 2012 model is on the shelves?"

Probably. Likely.

BUT...

They won't drop UNTIL that time arrives, because as of right now, "refurbished" is the ONLY product that Apple has to sell, insofar as iMacs are concerned....
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:30 AM   #4
talmy
macrumors 68040

Because of the delay of months in having any new iMacs in the store, there will probably be precious few 2011 refurbs, which also explains the recent price rise in the refurbished iMacs.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:40 AM   #5
mapleleafer
macrumors regular

They already have in Canada. Refurbs normally sell for 17-18% off. Now they're up to 20% off.
mapleleafer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:03 AM   #6
MsDalfo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
Because of the delay of months in having any new iMacs in the store, there will probably be precious few 2011 refurbs, which also explains the recent price rise in the refurbished iMacs.
That's a good point. Maybe I should just keep it when it comes tomorrow. :V

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafer View Post
They already have in Canada. Refurbs normally sell for 17-18% off. Now they're up to 20% off.
Oh, I thought that depended on the model; I've seen both of those percentages I think.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac