Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:06 AM   #51
Jeantro
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vingi View Post
I have the 120 Gb LaCie Rugged SSD (Thunderbolt and USB 3.0).
I noticed the same as the other users: USB 3.0 has faster read speeds compared to Thunderbolt. Heck, USB 3.0 read speed is even faster than my 1TB Fusion drive:

Tested on a late 2012 27" iMac (i7 3.4GHz, 32Gb RAM, GTX680MX) using Disk Speed test by Blackmagicdesign, using the 5Gb read/write test on a 20 Gb FAT partition on the LaCie disk:
  • LaCie Rugged 120 Gb SSD Thunderbolt: write: 190.3 MB/s - read: 383.1 MB/s
  • LaCie Rugged 120 Gb SSD USB 3.0: write 189.7 MB/s - read 428.2 MB/s
  • 1 TB Fusion drive (internal): write 325 MB/s - read 382.7 MB/s
can you tell me if it's possible to enable the trim with the lacie rugged ?
Jeantro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:55 PM   #52
vingi
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeantro View Post
can you tell me if it's possible to enable the trim with the lacie rugged ?
As far as I know, there is no way you can enable TRIM on an external SSD disk (although I read some statements it can be done on a Thunderbolt disk, but no actual how-to's). I'd be glad if someone else proved me wrong.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2012): i7 3.4 GHz, 32 Gb RAM, 1TB Fusion drive, GTX-680MX | 15.4" MacBook Pro (early 2008): 2.4 GHz, 6 Gb RAM, 256 Gb SSD | r-iPad mini/iPhone 5S/aTV2.
vingi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:57 PM   #53
pizzapappa
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Just got my lacie thunderbolt ssd up and running. Flawless so far. Im going to backup everything first before I try enabling trim or anything else.
pizzapappa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:13 PM   #54
Jeantro
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzapappa View Post
Just got my lacie thunderbolt ssd up and running. Flawless so far. Im going to backup everything first before I try enabling trim or anything else.
which model you buy ?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vingi View Post
As far as I know, there is no way you can enable TRIM on an external SSD disk (although I read some statements it can be done on a Thunderbolt disk, but no actual how-to's). I'd be glad if someone else proved me wrong.
I read that work with trim enabler

here is a link of a french site

http://forum.macbidouille.com/lofive...p/t359591.html
Jeantro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:21 PM   #55
pizzapappa
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeantro View Post
which model you buy ?

----------



I read that work with trim enabler

here is a link of a french site

http://forum.macbidouille.com/lofive...p/t359591.html
Got the rugged 120GB just to try it out. In the future when i need more storage I will try to replace the ssd with another one
pizzapappa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:25 PM   #56
Jeantro
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzapappa View Post
Got the rugged 120GB just to try it out. In the future when i need more storage I will try to replace the ssd with another one
can you tell me which performance read / write you get ?

and with an imac 2012 ?
Jeantro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:14 PM   #57
vingi
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeantro View Post
I read that work with trim enabler

here is a link of a french site

http://forum.macbidouille.com/lofive...p/t359591.html
I managed to enable TRIM on the 120 Gb LaCie Rugged SSD, connected by Thunderbolt by using the program TRIM enabler (please note TRIM support set to "yes" in the screenshot. The read/write speeds did not change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LaCieRuggedSSD120GbTRIM.png
Views:	663
Size:	878.7 KB
ID:	386148  
__________________
27" iMac (late 2012): i7 3.4 GHz, 32 Gb RAM, 1TB Fusion drive, GTX-680MX | 15.4" MacBook Pro (early 2008): 2.4 GHz, 6 Gb RAM, 256 Gb SSD | r-iPad mini/iPhone 5S/aTV2.
vingi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:15 PM   #58
pizzapappa
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeantro View Post
can you tell me which performance read / write you get ?

and with an imac 2012 ?
Yeah im using a 2012 iMac. Getting about 190-200 write and 380 read. Working flawless so far. Have tried putting it to sleep once (waiting for time machine to finish backuping).
pizzapappa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:29 PM   #59
Jeantro
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzapappa View Post
Yeah im using a 2012 iMac. Getting about 190-200 write and 380 read. Working flawless so far. Have tried putting it to sleep once (waiting for time machine to finish backuping).
thanks for the information

I don't understand why the performance of write is less of read. you get a diffrence of 180

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vingi View Post
I managed to enable TRIM on the 120 Gb LaCie Rugged SSD, connected by Thunderbolt by using the program TRIM enabler (please note TRIM support set to "yes" in the screenshot. The read/write speeds did not change.
I don't think trim is for get more speed it's only for get stable read/write performance in time
Jeantro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:01 AM   #60
MaydayMAc
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I am using the Seagate TB Adapter and Intel 520 180Gig SSD getting 230 Writes and 371 Reads BTW BestBuy has the Intel 520 onsale for $129
MaydayMAc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:20 AM   #61
LogicPro
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
So, for stupid me, you're running OSX off a SSD connected by a Thunderbolt?
__________________
MPStudios Film and Media Scoring: www.maxscoring.com
27" 2012-iMac; Logic Pro, Yamaha HS-80s, ATH50s, MXL V67GS.
LogicPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:48 AM   #62
MaydayMAc
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Logicpro,

Yes I used super doper to clone me Internal drive to the External TB SSD

Works Great
MaydayMAc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:01 PM   #63
WilliamG
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicPro View Post
So, for stupid me, you're running OSX off a SSD connected by a Thunderbolt?
Yep. Just set up my Samsung 830 256GB yesterday inside a Seagate Backup Plus Thunderbolt 2.5" enclosure. Booting off it. Blazing fast in every respect, and so great to be able to unplug/hide it when I leave on vacation etc. Bit more secure this way!

The Lacie's write speeds really are a killer for me. I have a 3TB Seagate Backup Plus Thunderbolt disk as well, and I get 185MB/s write speeds with it, which is about the same as the write speeds from the Lacie SSD!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-28 at 10.00.06 AM.png
Views:	90
Size:	892.0 KB
ID:	386253  
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:53 PM   #64
identity
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Yep. Just set up my Samsung 830 256GB yesterday inside a Seagate Backup Plus Thunderbolt 2.5" enclosure. Booting off it. Blazing fast in every respect, and so great to be able to unplug/hide it when I leave on vacation etc. Bit more secure this way!

The Lacie's write speeds really are a killer for me. I have a 3TB Seagate Backup Plus Thunderbolt disk as well, and I get 185MB/s write speeds with it, which is about the same as the write speeds from the Lacie SSD!
How would this work with bootcamp? I'm assuming the same as if the SSD was really inside the iMac? I love the idea of booting from an external SSD because the only SSD option is out of my price range.
identity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:21 AM   #65
bugbear99
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Im booting windows from TB External SSD (lacie rugged with replaced SSD)

but when i boot into MacOS and let the lacie rugged SSD idle,
the SSD is still running hot.

anybody have the same experience?
bugbear99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:40 AM   #66
AT06
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Winwick, UK
Has anyone using his method ever had any issues when waking from sleep? I read elsewhere that people are having problems like the mac not waking, or hanging, or being frozen on wake.

Also, how hot does it run under normal load?

Thanks
__________________
"Twenty seconds of insane courage"
iMac 27"| iPad 32GB | iPhone 5 | Canon 6D, 24-105mm f/4L & 50mm f/1.8
AT06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:10 AM   #67
Snoezzz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Finally got Windows 7 to boot from the Lacie through the Thunderbolt connection without bootcamp... Just the way i wanted

I "abused" my wife's Macbook Air for testing purposes due to the fact that i'm still waiting for my iMac.
Snoezzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:43 AM   #68
AFPBoy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoezzz View Post
Finally got Windows 7 to boot from the Lacie through the Thunderbolt connection without bootcamp... Just the way i wanted
Did you have to do anything special/magical to get it to work? When you say 'without bootcamp', do you mean for booting or installation purposes?
AFPBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:46 PM   #69
Snoezzz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFPBoy View Post
Did you have to do anything special/magical to get it to work? When you say 'without bootcamp', do you mean for booting or installation purposes?
Both.. i deployed the image with Microsoft imagex, after injecting the Lacie Thunderbolt driver in the Windows wimfile. When i connect the Lacie to the macbook and hold the option key, i can boot straight to Windows. The first time it booted Windows did the hardware detection etc.

The internal macbook SSD is untouched. Windows runs completely independent from the internal SSD.

So basically:
Inject Lacie Thunderbolt driver in install.wim on the Windows DVD
Create 2 partitions (Windows System Reserved and the actual OS partition)
Apply the image to the OS partition.
Use BCDboot on the Lacie

After that... plug it in and start it up.

Last edited by Snoezzz; Dec 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Snoezzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:03 PM   #70
qamaro
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoezzz View Post
Both.. i deployed the image with Microsoft imagex, after injecting the Lacie Thunderbolt driver in the Windows wimfile. When i connect the Lacie to the macbook and hold the option key, i can boot straight to Windows. The first time it booted Windows did the hardware detection etc.

The internal macbook SSD is untouched. Windows runs completely independent from the internal SSD.

So basically:
Inject Lacie Thunderbolt driver in install.wim on the Windows DVD
Create 2 partitions (Windows System Reserved and the actual OS partition)
Apply the image to the OS partition.
Use BCDboot on the Lacie

After that... plug it in and start it up.
Snoezzz,

Are you building the drive off a PC to generate the partitions and apply the image first? Then once you are done loading it onto the SSD, you then booted it on OSX which forces Windows to auto detect the new hardware? Just want to check the process again. Sounds like a typical corporate build. With this option you don't need an MBR record on the primary OSX boot drive?

Thanks!
__________________
2012 - 27" iMac i7, | ARECA-8050 32TB | 2012 - MacMini i7 | 2012 Sony Vaio Z - Win8
2009 - MacBook Pro 17" | 2008 Water Cooled PC
Marqelexsis Photography | Facebook
qamaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:10 PM   #71
Snoezzz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by qamaro View Post
Snoezzz,

Are you building the drive off a PC to generate the partitions and apply the image first? Then once you are done loading it onto the SSD, you then booted it on OSX which forces Windows to auto detect the new hardware? Just want to check the process again. Sounds like a typical corporate build. With this option you don't need an MBR record on the primary OSX boot drive?

Thanks!
Hi Gamaro

Yes, i connect it to a PC with the USB connector. Then i use Diskpart to generate the partitions. It is imporatant to inject the Thunderbolt driver into the image else the Mac won't boot the drive when connected to the Thunderbolt port. After applying the image with ImageX (which basically is the same as the first stage of a Windows 7 installation, everything prior to the first reboot of the installation) i use BCDboot to install the System partition files onto the Thunderbolt drive. And yes finally i connect the Thunderbolt to the Mac and hold the option button. I select the Windows Thunderbolt drive, Windows boots and the second stage of Windows setup starts (hardware detection). Absolutely nothing is installed onto the Mac drive. The Thunderbolt drive contains the Windows boot and System Partition files.

Today i injected all of the Bootcamp drivers into the Windows wim file, as soon as my iMac is here i can install Windows and if everything goes like planned, all the drivers are installed automatically
Snoezzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:11 PM   #72
AT06
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Winwick, UK
Sorry to be pestering, but does anyone have any info on how the drive wakes from sleep? Just I heard some people were having problems that meant the computer would freeze on wake. How hot it gets would also be nice to know.

Thanks a lot, and wishing everyone a happy 2013
__________________
"Twenty seconds of insane courage"
iMac 27"| iPad 32GB | iPhone 5 | Canon 6D, 24-105mm f/4L & 50mm f/1.8
AT06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:56 PM   #73
R1PPER
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Im using a Lacie rugged thunderbolt 128 SSD. No freezing for me? I recommend doing this with a 256 SSD for abit more breathing room.
R1PPER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:15 PM   #74
AT06
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Winwick, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1PPER View Post
Im using a Lacie rugged thunderbolt 128 SSD. No freezing for me? I recommend doing this with a 256 SSD for abit more breathing room.
Thanks for the reply - do you see a substantial increase in speed? Also how hot does it get under normal use?

Thanks
__________________
"Twenty seconds of insane courage"
iMac 27"| iPad 32GB | iPhone 5 | Canon 6D, 24-105mm f/4L & 50mm f/1.8
AT06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:05 PM   #75
Carl Baron
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Bench Marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Yep. Just set up my Samsung 830 256GB yesterday inside a Seagate Backup Plus Thunderbolt 2.5" enclosure. Booting off it. Blazing fast in every respect, and so great to be able to unplug/hide it when I leave on vacation etc. Bit more secure this way!

The Lacie's write speeds really are a killer for me. I have a 3TB Seagate Backup Plus Thunderbolt disk as well, and I get 185MB/s write speeds with it, which is about the same as the write speeds from the Lacie SSD!
I tried similar with a 256MB OCZ Vector. The results are 353.8MB/s write and
363.86MB/s read. The results are about the same as you. Wonder if LaCie
Thunderbolt is similar to Seagate Thunderbolt. Hopefully they will get better thunderbolt adapters. Our SSDs should be faster. The actual LaCie SSD is a
Crucial M4 256 MB (500/260).
Carl Baron is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which is better, Lacie Rugged 256 SSD Thunderbolt or Buffalo 256 GB Thunderbolt SSD? kapalua12 Mac Peripherals 5 Oct 14, 2013 04:19 PM
Can I leave my Lacie Rugged SSD connected to my iMac when not in use? jaybar iMac 4 Oct 12, 2013 11:09 AM
Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter + Samsung 840 Pro vs. Lacie 120 GB Rugged SSD loscamos iMac 11 Jan 24, 2013 08:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC