Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Out of sheer envy at the Nexus 4 owners/discussion thread, I'm creating this thread for those of us who were unlucky yesterday.

Keep each other posted on any rumors or updates for when Google might restock the Play store with more Nexus 4's.

From my end, I'm hearing anything from 2-3 days to 2-3 weeks.

jsw, it'd be mighty useful if you could put your little scripts here for easy retrieval!

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
No Play store in Ireland so I ordered it from handtec but they haven't given us an ETA yet and I'm thinking about cancelling my order and trying to buy it elsewhere.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Where did you hear 2-3 days?

I'm only reading about weeks.

A post of someone who spoke to a rep. As unreliable as anything out there, unfortunately. Also heard "before Thanksgiving."

EDIT: And of course the ever-helpful official "within the next few weeks" from Google.

Last edited:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Out of sheer envy at the Nexus 4 owners/discussion thread, I'm creating this thread for those of us who were unlucky yesterday.

Keep each other posted on any rumors or updates for when Google might restock the Play store with more Nexus 4's.

From my end, I'm hearing anything from 2-3 days to 2-3 weeks.

jsw, it'd be mighty useful if you could put your little scripts here for easy retrieval!
I will do so later tonight!

Somewhere, I have code that will (or used to, in olden times) create a post here. If I can resurrect that code, I'll even post a comment once the stores (at least in the US) open up with some inventory.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Use AppleScript Editor to make a script like this:
Code:
tell application "Mail"
	set theNewMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:"N4 available!", content:"https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb", visible:true}
	tell theNewMessage
		make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:"yourphonenumber@txt.att.net"}
		make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:"youremail@gmail.com"}
		send
	end tell
end tell

You can change the subject and contents, and that's a link to one of the options - it might be the other which is available. Change the contact info (you can, as shown, send to multiple emails).

Make sure Mail is set up to send email on your computer.

The checking script is attached - just drop it somewhere, rename it to remove the '.txt' (not necessary, just... more appropriate), open it, and edit the "~/Desktop/NexusEmail.scpt" bit to be your AppleScript file (or just make sure your AppleScript file is names NexusEmail.scpt and is on your desktop).

Make sure it's set to be executable:

• open Terminal
  • type "chmod +x " (without the quotes but with the trailing space)
  • in Finder, drag the file from wherever you put it into Terminal
  • this will produce a line something like "chmod +x /Users/yourname/Downloads/chexnex.sh", depending on where you put it
  • hit return to run the command

Then run it in Terminal:

• in Finder, drag the file from wherever you put it into Terminal (on an empty line after the prompt)
  • this will produce a line something like "/Users/yourname/Downloads/chexnex.sh", depending on where you put it
  • hit return to run the command

You'll need to leave Terminal (and your Mac) running, but you can hide the window.

Note that all it does is see if "sold out" isn't on the page. If they change the wording, this will trigger - it doesn't guarantee they're available.

Off to bed, will check for replies tomorrow!

Attachments

• chexnex.sh.txt
    410 bytes · Views: 179

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I really hope Google is learning from all this for the Nexus 4 (2013) launch.
I'm sure they are, just as much as they've learned from all the previous ones. ;-)

Lesson: no matter how slow, crappy, and buggy your ordering process is, people will still use it.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Via Reddit, whohas.it is a service that claims to notify you as soon as an item is in stock. Here's the page for the Nexus 4:

http://whohas.it/g/247

They have an app, ironically enough, for iOS. No Android app yet.

You have to set up an account, but alas. Worth a try.

inhalewaste

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
Rumor going on at XDA that Nov 20-22nd should see Nexus 4 restocked. That also means people who got backordered should be getting notices this week. This coincides with the above rumors of "stock within a few days..."

Only rumors. Good luck.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
They'll be available today at 12 PM PST / 3 PM EST. I actually got an email this time. Google is learning. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-27 at 9.33.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-27 at 9.33.51 AM.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 106

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
$20 says they silently go on sale at 11:54 instead and are then sold out for 2 weeks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.