Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:02 PM   #1
ashenfang
macrumors newbie

Syncing an Iphone 5 with new macbook

I hope I have the right forum for this, if not, please move to the appropriate category. I will try to make this as less complicated as possible in hopes that someone can help me achieve what I am trying to do.

Equipment involved. iPhone 5 (with data, contacts, apps, music, ect already on it)

Macbook Pro running OSX Lion.

Scenario;

iPhone 5 is currently using iCloud as back up, however, was also synced to Itunes on a Windows 7 Computer (for music and photos) that is no longer functioning.

What I want to do; Sync the iPhone 5 with iTunes on the new Macbook without loosing any data on the phone but also keep the ability to sync to the cloud as well.

Where I am at now is if I plug in the iPhone 5 to the macbook, iTunes basically wants to format the phone. Please any help appreciated.
ashenfang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:09 PM   #2
tgi
macrumors 6502a

Would you consider wiping the phone on the mac, restoring your contacts/photos from iCloud, then backing up on the mac?

I think either way you're going to lose your music unless you get a special program to take the music out.
tgi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:20 PM   #3
ashenfang
macrumors newbie

I guess I should have said that music is not an issue because it is backed up on a hard drive and could be re-imported.

What I don't want to loose is app data. (this is my wifes phone. I think you understand what I am trying to avoid) lol
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:33 PM   #4
adnbek
macrumors 65816

Turn off iTunes backup, plug it in, right click on the phone in iTunes and choose "backup". This will backup all your phone's data including app data to iTunes, then you can restore everything and sync to iTunes.
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:09 PM   #5
ashenfang
macrumors newbie

ok, so you are saying to tell iTunes "not to sync ipod/iphone" / connect the iphone / select iphone/ and tell iTunes to back up? Then turn syncing back on in itunes?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:26 PM   #6
adnbek
macrumors 65816

Yes. Have it backup first (to back up app data, camera roll, settings). You can also "transfer purchases" and it will transfer all the apps and other purchases back to the new computer.

Then do a "restore" and choose to restore from your new backup.
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:34 AM   #7
ashenfang
macrumors newbie

Ok, thank you very much. I appreciate the help. Will give it a try later.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting