Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
You can use the volume switch for the shutter button, for the camera, which is way easier and accurate than using the on screen shutter button.

Just found this out by accident. Shoulda found this easier. Duh!!

Xeblade

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
You can use the volume switch for the shutter button, for the camera, which is way easier and accurate than using the on screen shutter button.

It's handy, but not always more accurate as when you press it, there is a higher chance the photo will be blurry. As the device will move.

Jelliess

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Yep true. Gen 4, the first iTouch with camera built-in released in 2010. And the feature of "volume button as a shutter" was introduced in iOS5 in 2011 if i'm not wrong. :)

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Yup as others have said- added in iOS 5. It also works on the iPhone and possibly the ipad(not sure as I still have the 1st gen).

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom

As others have said, it was added in iOS 5. However, I find photos come out clearer when using the on screen button, as it doesn't cause the device to move as much.

Yup as others have said- added in iOS 5. It also works on the iPhone and possibly the ipad(not sure as I still have the 1st gen).

Yes, it also works on iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.