Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:34 PM   #1
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
New reason for Romney loss: Obama gifts to Minorities

Apparently Mittens still doesn't get it. The reason he lost this election is not because of anything outrageous the Dems did, they lost because of the GOP's outdated platform that no longer resonates with the voter base. If they can't win the white house in a bad economy, i would hate to see how they will do when things are better. But that's typical Republican mentality, blame others for your own shortcomings.

Quote:
But even as Obama extended something of an olive branch - which some skeptics saw as disingenuous - Romney was reportedly accusing the president of doling out "gifts" to minority voters to curry their support for a second term.
"The President's campaign focused on giving targeted groups a big gift-so he made a big effort on small things," Romney told donors on a conference call, first reported by Maeve Reston of the L.A. Times. "Those small things, by the way, add up to trillions of dollars."
Romney claimed Obama had been "very generous" to blacks, Hispanics and younger voters, according to the Times, insisting that the policy decisions had been a decisive factor in high turnout that tipped the scale against him.
LINK

EDIT:
Let me also add that the minority vote would not have been enough alone for Obama to win. He couldn't win without the white vote. Obama won more white votes than black and hispanic votes combined. Granted that's because there are a lot less of them, but that pretty much proves my point.
likemyorbs is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:36 PM   #2
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

I saw this on the news and all I could do was shake my head in disbelief. You lost because your policies suck, not because of anything the other guy did!

Last edited by flopticalcube; Nov 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
flopticalcube is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:46 PM   #3

Just proves how sincere the '47%' comment really was, IMO.
184550 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Idefix
macrumors 6502

you'd think he'd have learned to hold his tongue, wouldn't you??

doesn't display much wisdom, period.
Idefix is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:01 AM   #5
fox10078
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idefix View Post
you'd think he'd have learned to hold his tongue, wouldn't you??

doesn't display much wisdom, period.
He doesn't have to hold his tongue anymore.

I know that one of the reasons I didn't like Romney is because he thinks that my student LOANS I'm paying back to government are handouts, and this comment really just proves more and more this guy is a complete out of touch tool.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:26 AM   #6
Anuba
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
But that's typical Republican mentality, blame others for your own shortcomings.
O'Reilly quote from Tuesday:

"Here's what I really lament. We're now living in a dishonest culture. The media is totally corrupt in this country. It does things it could never have gotten away with even 10 years ago. There are entire media operations that exist solely to promote ideology!"

O'Really?
Anuba is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:52 AM   #7
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Sucks to spend a billion dollars and not get what ya wanted, doesn't it Mitt? All those poor, non-white, handout taking lazy people outspent you. And won. Damn, that's gotta hurt. Tough to wrap your head around, isn't it?
Tilpots is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:04 AM   #8
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
If they can't win the white house in a bad economy, i would hate to see how they will do when things are better.
The momentary state of the economy is not the deciding factor in elections, what matters is the trendline. If people are somewhat optimistic about things getting better, the incumbent has a darn good chance. High unemployment that is steadily receding helps the incumbent, the actual numbers (9% or 7%) are not that critical. We saw steady recovery over 4 years, not decline.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:18 AM   #9
vega07
macrumors 65816

Shouldn't Romney have already disappeared after losing the election? Why is he still on my TV screen? Ugh.
vega07 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:29 AM   #10
Sydde
macrumors 68000

He keeps coming back. Can he ride a bicycle wearing that suit?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:50 AM   #11
VulchR
macrumors 68000

This just makes me even more glad I didn't vote for Romney and the Republicans. Somebody needs to to tell how to play nice.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Rodimus Prime
Banned

And the GOP wonders why they lose and why they are losing the young vote???

REALLY? It is because they make stupid communist like this showing they only care about old rich white guys.
Rodimus Prime is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:25 PM   #13
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Romney's idiotic "gifts" comment is one of the stupidest statements I have ever heard in my life. But here is some further literature to help paint a bigger picture. Republican Governor Bobby Jindal, one of most well liked Governors in the country [based on approval ratings], has no issues with criticizing stupidity regardless of partisan lines. In this case, he called Mitt Romney out and for good reason.

(excerpt)
Quote:
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal criticized Romney's comments later Wednesday, as some GOP leaders offered critiques of their party's last campaign on the first day of Republican Governors Association (RGA) meetings in Las Vegas.

Jindal, thought to be a potential 2016 candidate and the incoming RGA chairman, said he "absolutely rejects" Romney's "gifts" assertion, and said those types of notions do not represent who Republicans are as a party.

"Weíve got to stop dividing American voters, go after every single vote," Jindal said, "Show that our policies affect every voter out there."

Jindal also said though the party needs to modernize, he emphasized that it can reach an increasingly diverse electorate without becoming ďa 2nd Democratic party.Ē He said he believes the U.S. is still a center-right nation.

Jindal has been outspoken with his criticisms of his party since its loss last week, telling Politico on Monday that the GOP needs to "stop being the stupid party."

He said the GOP needs to offer an inclusive message to a wide range of voters to thwart the Democrats' characterization of them as the party of the rich.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz2CJveELgu

(excerpt)
Quote:
Speaking to reporters here at an annual meeting of Republican governors, Jindal said such rhetoric could divide voting groups.

"I think that's absolutely wrong," Jindal said. "We have got to stop dividing the American voters. We need to go after 100 percent of the votes, not 53 percent. We need to go after every single vote. ... So I absolutely reject that notion, that description. I think it's absolutely wrong. I don't think that represents where we are as a party, where we're going as a party. That has got to be one of the most fundamental takeaways from this election."

Jindal, who is set to become chairman of the Republican Governors Association, has called on the party to reshape its tone when presenting ideas, especially to constituencies that traditionally vote Democratic.

"I'm passionate about it because I think it's extremely, extremely important," Jindal said. "This is just something that's fundamentally important for the future of our party."
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/b...-election.html
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:43 PM   #14
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZac View Post
Romney's idiotic "gifts" comment is one of the stupidest statements I have ever heard in my life. But here is some further literature to help paint a bigger picture. Republican Governor Bobby Jindal, one of most well liked Governors in the country [based on approval ratings], has no issues with criticizing stupidity regardless of partisan lines. In this case, he called Mitt Romney out and for good reason....
Perhaps there is some sanity in the Republican party after all.

I want a t-shirt that reads 'I am the 47% 51%'
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:52 PM   #15
dscuber9000
macrumors 6502a

And people thought Biden was a walking gaffe.
dscuber9000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:26 PM   #16
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
Perhaps there is some sanity in the Republican party after all.

I want a t-shirt that reads 'I am the 47% 51%'
Sanity only shows after a party loses an election. Where was this during the campaign when Romney mentioned the 47% thing? I heard excuses for it. Didn't hear any prominent GOP member speak out about it. They all towed the line.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:26 PM   #17
dime21
macrumors 6502

This article hits the nail on the head. Were any of you awake for all those Obama TV and radio commercials? It seems not. Each one had a highly targeted message, promising some federal benefit to a specific group, whether it was young women, hispanics, whoever. And it worked. As the saying goes, the stupid man's vote is worth exactly the same amount as the smart man's -- but the stupid man's vote is a lot easier to get.

Romney's message was about improving the nation as a whole, looking at the big picture of how to improve life for all Americans.

Here, this describes the 2012 election perfectly:

"Only in America can a president who inherits a deep recession and whose policies have actually made the effects of that recession worse get re-elected. Only in America can a president who wants the bureaucrats who can’t run the Post Office to micromanage the administration of every American’s health care get re-elected. Only in America can a president who kills Americans overseas who have never been charged or convicted of a crime get re-elected. And only in America can a president who borrowed and spent more than $5 trillion in fewer than four years, plans to repay none of it and promises to borrow another $5 trillion in his second term get re-elected.

What’s going on here?

What is going on is the present-day proof of the truism observed by Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton, who rarely agreed on anything in public: When the voters recognize that the public treasury has become a public trough, they will send to Washington not persons who will promote self-reliance and foster an atmosphere of prosperity, but rather those who will give away the most cash and thereby create dependency."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/...#ixzz2CKBvfbyE
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:33 PM   #18
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime21 View Post
This article hits the nail on the head. Were any of you awake for all those Obama TV and radio commercials? It seems not. Each one had a highly targeted message, promising some federal benefit to a specific group, whether it was young women, hispanics, whoever. And it worked. As the saying goes, the stupid man's vote is worth exactly the same amount as the smart man's -- but the stupid man's vote is a lot easier to get.
So let me get this straight here.. are you saying that minorities are stupid?

I would love a response to this (though I already know that I won't).

Also with that, if a person or a group of people are told lies to sway their opinion on a topic, and they believe it, who is actually being stupid at that point: the liar, or those who believe the lie?

If both, Fox News has been telling a lot of lies over the past 5 years, so I wonder who the 'stupid' people would be (especially considering you just read them and posted as such).

Quote:
Romney's message was about improving the nation as a whole, looking at the big picture of how to improve life for all Americans.

"Only in America can a president who inherits a deep recession and whose policies have actually made the effects of that recession worse get re-elected. Only in America can a president who wants the bureaucrats who canít run the Post Office to micromanage the administration of every Americanís health care get re-elected. Only in America can a president who kills Americans overseas who have never been charged or convicted of a crime get re-elected. And only in America can a president who borrowed and spent more than $5 trillion in fewer than four years, plans to repay none of it and promises to borrow another $5 trillion in his second term get re-elected.

Whatís going on here?

What is going on is the present-day proof of the truism observed by Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton, who rarely agreed on anything in public: When the voters recognize that the public treasury has become a public trough, they will send to Washington not persons who will promote self-reliance and foster an atmosphere of prosperity, but rather those who will give away the most cash and thereby create dependency."
The 47% comment completely falls square to that. So can you honestly believe that, especially if he just flip-flopped on something that he stated during his campaign?

Again, this goes back to my question: Who is being the stupid one here?

Again, I request your response to this.

BL.
bradl is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:33 PM   #19
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
ah that is cutie you believe that.
Romney made it pretty clear it was about padding the bottom line of the rich and huge corps. His 47% comment and things like this proves how little he cares about people as a whole.

Now you are trying to agree with it with more lies.

It was more shown people were smart enough not to buy the lies being shoved out by Romney and company. A key part that something looks wrong is look at the backers for Romney, it should be a huge sign how big the mega rich were backing him and forking out cash. They were getting something out of the deal.
Rodimus Prime is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:33 PM   #20
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
All Americans?? Really? Do you truly believe that?

The fact is, he wanted to improve life for some Americans and that is why he lost.

And I think I'll skip over the fox news opinion piece. The problem with the GOP is that they still can't recognize why they lost. And making excuses and ignoring reality isn't going to help them do what they need to do to even have a chance in 4 years.
Moyank24 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:52 PM   #21
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

Quote:
As the saying goes, the stupid man's vote is worth exactly the same amount as the smart man's -- but the stupid man's vote is a lot easier to get.
And of course, all democrats and people who voted for Obama are stupid! I'd absolutely love to see a statistical breakdown of education level vs. which candidate a citizen voted for, especially considering all the middle and lower class Midwesterners who voted for the party that would screw them. That seems rather unintelligent to me. Not to mention the plethora of statistics that show RED states take a lot more in goverment "handouts" than blue states do, despite all the "47%" crap they buy hook line and sinker. Any response to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime21
Citing Fox News, good one. That's not a biased and unreliable source at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
So let me get this straight here.. are you saying that minorities are stupid?
That's exactly what he's saying. Instead of examining the real reasons why the Republicans got beat again, he resorts to whining and calling people stupid, not realizing the irony at all. Doesn't bode well for their chances in 2016, either.

Keep insulting and namecalling and see where it gets you.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:53 PM   #22
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
This article hits the nail on the head. Were any of you awake for all those Obama TV and radio commercials? It seems not. Each one had a highly targeted message, promising some federal benefit to a specific group, whether it was young women, hispanics, whoever. And it worked.
Yeah, Obama had a highly targeted message to specific groups saying he wasn't campaigning to take their civil rights away.

Quote:
As the saying goes, the stupid man's vote is worth exactly the same amount as the smart man's -- but the stupid man's vote is a lot easier to get.
I guess that's how Mitt managed to make it a contest at the end. If not, it would have been even more of an Obama landslide.

Quote:
lmao. I wish there were drugs strong enough to make me think there was even a grain of truth in this statement. The guy got caught on hidden camera saying he didn't give a **** about nearly half the electorate. I must have missed when "America as a whole" was only 53% of the people.

Quote:

"Only in America can a president who inherits a deep recession and whose policies have actually made the effects of that recession worse get re-elected.
By nearly every factual measure we have the economy has been getting better for the past 2.5-3 years. You're full of it if you try to say otherwise.

Quote:
Only in America can a president who wants the bureaucrats who can’t run the Post Office to micromanage the administration of every American’s health care get re-elected.
This is just completely inaccurate.

Quote:
Only in America can a president who kills Americans overseas who have never been charged or convicted of a crime get re-elected.
George W. Bush is directly responsible for the deaths of over 6,500 Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan. He got re-elected. Until you start calling for him to be tried for war crimes, this point is invalid and just proves your bias.

Quote:
And only in America can a president who borrowed and spent more than $5 trillion in fewer than four years, plans to repay none of it and promises to borrow another $5 trillion in his second term get re-elected.
Congress makes the budget dude.

Quote:
What’s going on here?
Apparently you live in an alternate universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
And of course, all democrats and people who voted for Obama are stupid! Funny, I'd absolutely love to see a statistical breakdown of education level vs. which candidate a citizen voted for.
Thumb resize.

don't worry, they'll just call me an elitist for posting that. but those are the facts.
zioxide is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:00 PM   #23
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
What I believe you overlook is that Romney's campaign was built on the promise of gifts ... 12 million new jobs, a more robust economy.

Instead of "a chicken in every pot" Romney promised more dollars in every pocket.

So it's rather ironic that he would complain about gifts.

His whole campaign was based on that.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:06 PM   #24
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Thumb resize.

don't worry, they'll just call me an elitist for posting that. but those are the facts.
Pretty much exactly what I thought, and if that makes me a snob too, so be it. I'm not saying degrees absolutely correlate with intelligence, but his idiotic comment needed to be rebutted.

Here's a tip for the Republican party: stop trying to impose a moral compass on economics. Stop trying to control a woman's body, stop trying to prevent gay people from having full rights, and stop trying to assume the position of moral high ground and get back to discussing economics, foreign policy, and government. The more groups of voters you alienate with fake morality judgments (especially when those minority groups are growing), the less of a chance you have to ever win an election again, unless it's a local election in segregated counties.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:21 PM   #25
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Thumb resize.

Doubt that. I'm sure you caught the blurb on the bottom. For those that didn't:

Quote:
Research statistics provided by FoxBusiness.com, based on education data from the U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey. 24/7 Wall St. identified the U.S. States with the largest and smallest percentages of residents 25 years or older with a college degree or more. http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...ucated-states/
We now await the spin, stating that Fox News is an accurate and "fair and balanced" news source.

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues