Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Problem: The hinge on my MacBook Pro started making a clicking noise when I open or close the clamshell. (Not fron dropping it) I have AppleCare.

Apple Genius @ Retail Store: We can send this in for repair - your still under warranty.

Me: Great - send it in!

AppleCare Service Center: We want to charge you $610 to finish your repair.

Me: What? I call AppleCare...

AppleCare Rep(last of 4 reps i spoke with): You have upgraded the RAM on your MacBook Pro so we cannot service your computer. Same with your HD.

Me: Its user-replaceable. What is the correlation between my RAM and the hinge making noise? Also HD is user-replaceable.

AppleCare Rap: We dont do a 1/2 job....If anything fails our diagnostics test we must fix it. But we cannot because the reason it is failing is because you upgraded RAM.

(We go back and forth - with 2 different agents....) Dude - if you ripped out the RAM I would still have the same problem.

Long story short - they absolute refuse to fix my computer because my RAM has been upgraded. Rep tells me to take it to an authorized service center.

I could include the fact the Genius watch me switch out HD in the store - also noted the none Apple RAM - also he messed up my mailing address. The 1st senior rep told me she we call tuesday or wednesday to give me an update. She didnt call - I did. So far I have put the ball into Apple's court several times...all they do is drop it so far. Before this situation I have had amazing service. Tomorrow I shall call my boys Casey and Bob - they are senior reps that really helped me out when I had a problem with my warranty date earlier this year. :)

I paid a premium price for my computer
I expect a premium computer
I expect premium service....(which i am certainly not getting.)

They still have my MacBook at there service center...its in hold mode.

Last edited:

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
reinstall the original Apple RAM, reinstall the original Apple HD.

Take it back to the exact same store and ask to speak to the exact same rep who gave you the hard time.

Similar experience happened to me just a little while ago. I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with a senior Applecare rep.

Took awhile, but had a good final outcome.

But man was I steamed in the interim...

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

Take it back to the exact same store and ask to speak to the exact same rep who gave you the hard time.

Similar experience happened to me just a little while ago. I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with a senior Applecare rep.

They have my MacBook Pro at some service center. I want it fixed before they return it. (updated thread to include the info that it is still at the service center in outer space.)

Genius was great or super lazy.

Rep was on the phone.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
same here, after all that time on the phone I had to actually have it sent back unfixed.

lo and behold, when I picked it up, my problem had been fixed, and I had a new battery, zero cycle count.

and the paperwork said that it had been sent back unfixed.

they must have picked up how steamed I was???

Just remember that the techs are only spouting Apple's policy--they're not the ones who are denying the repair. So stay calm, cool and collected with them, but you can remain firmly insistent that this is a crock of stuff.

Note: be sure to state on the phone with Applecare that you're going to reinstall the RAM and the HD and that you're going to send it back for repair. You were promised that it would be fixed at no charge and the very next day you were hit with an outrageous bill, etc, etc.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Problem: The hinge on my MacBook Pro started making a clicking noise when I open or close the clamshell. (Not fron dropping it) have AppleCare

Apple Genius: We can send this in for repair - your still under warranty.

AppleCare Service Center: We want to charge you $610 to finish your repair.

AppleCare Rep(last of 4 reps i spoke with): You have upgraded the RAM on your MacBook Pro so we cannot service your computer. Same with your HD

Me: Its user-replaceable. What is the correlation between my RAM and the hinge making noise? Also HD is user-replaceable.

AppleCare Rap: We dont do a 1/2 job....

(We go back and forth - with 2 different agents....)

Long story short - they absolute refuse to fix my computer because my RAM has been upgraded. Rep tells me to take it to an authorized service center. LOL

I could include the fact the Genius watch me switch out HD in the store - also noted the none Apple RAM - also he messed up my mailing address. The 1st senior rep told me she we call tuesday or wednesday to give me an update. She didnt call - I did. So far I have put the ball into Apple's court several times...all they do is drop it so far. Before this situation I have had amazing service. Tomorrow I shall call my boys Casey and Bob - they are senior reps that really helped me out when I had a problem with my warranty date earlier this year. :)

I paid a premium price for my computer
I expect a premium computer
I expect premium service....(which i am certainly not getting.)

They still have my MacBook at there service center...its in hold mode.

Try phoning AppleCare and speaking to someone higher up.

AppleCare have the final say. I've had cases where the Store wouldn't do a repair, but then I cleared it up over the phone and they authorised it and gave me a case number. Took that to the store, they looked it up and all was good.

If your computer has a little door for RAM, it's a user-serviceable part. Not so sure about the HD.

Mr.Retina

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Maybe you should've read the Applecare terms and conditions. It clearly states That the equipment isn't covered if altered at all. No internals of any Apple product are "User-Replaceable" without spoiling your warranty. Of course you can do what you want with the machine you paid good money for, but dont expect them to honor the warranty If you replace the internals with 3rd party parts...

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown

But when they put in the serial number of the MBP to open a new case, won't they see the previous service ticket indicting that it wasn't fixed because of the "user upgrades"? Just wondering if that may cause an issue.

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
This last senior adviser told me that the Repair Depot has the last say. He said nothing AppleCare Reps can do to have it fixed.

----------

Maybe you should've read the Applecare terms and conditions. It clearly states That the equipment isn't covered if altered at all. No internals of any Apple product are "User-Replaceable" without spoiling your warranty. Of course you can do what you want with the machine you paid good money for, but dont expect them to honor the warranty If you replace the internals with 3rd party parts...

wrong - not for my MacBook Pro - retina - yes

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
This last senior adviser told me that the Repair Depot has the last say. He said nothing AppleCare Reps can do to have it fixed.

Try another senior rep. If that doesn't work, have them send it back to you and just replace the RAM with the Apple ram, that should shut them up.

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Try another senior rep. If that doesn't work, have them send it back to you and just replace the RAM with the Apple ram, that should shut them up.

Thats the plan for tomorrow. Senior reps can do about anything they want. Hopefully I get the right one.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I agree with the above suggestions about putting back the original 'Apple RAM' (so to speak). This happened to me a couple of years ago. They refused to service because I had upgraded the RAM. But once I put the machine back in its original state they made the repairs. My conclusion: always keep the original parts.

coolmacoz

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Support Your Local Apple Resellers Instead

I can understand your grieve and frustration of dealing with mighty Apple red tape. If you were dealing with your local Apple Resellers, then, you wouldn't have all these problems.
Due to high exposure and hype in the media , now a days, most consumers believe it's safer and have a better deal for them to directly purchase Apple products from Apple (Apple's online store or Local Apple Stores) rather than from their friendly and knowledgable local Apple resellers.
Unfortunately, you are just one of the number of several hundred of millions in their database and they don't give a s*** about you. Provided you fit in their policy you are OK, otherwise, take it or leave it.
You just have yourself to blame and choose to directly deal with Apple and ignoring the alternative of supporting your Local Apple Resellers who has been serving, the passion and supporting Apple products users for more than 2 decades.
This is your choice !

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Violating AppleCare's terms and saying it's horrible - epic.
Read the terms and conditions of services you buy, and you won't complain later on.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Read the terms and conditions of services you buy, and you won't complain later on.

Uh, how is replacing a user serviceable part a violation of Applecare? It's also a violation of the Magnuson Ross Act to deny a warranty repair for replacing user serviceable parts unless the parts are causing the problem or the user damaged something else in his repair.

And unless it's a retina or macbook pro model, ram and hard drives are user serviceable parts.

Completely agree with previous poster about supporting authorized third party shops and stores. My local ones have been working on macs for years or decades.

That said, I had a wonky trackpad on my late 2011 MBP, and thankfully my local Apple store didn't say diddly about my upgraded ram and SSD when they replaced it.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Uh, how is replacing a user serviceable part a violation of Applecare? It's also a violation of the Magnuson Ross Act to deny a warranty repair for replacing user serviceable parts unless the parts are causing the problem or the user damaged something else in his repair.

And unless it's a retina or macbook pro model, ram and hard drives are user serviceable parts.

Completely agree with previous poster about supporting authorized third party shops and stores. My local ones have been working on macs for years or decades.

That said, I had a wonky trackpad on my late 2011 MBP, and thankfully my local Apple store didn't say diddly about my upgraded ram and SSD when they replaced it.
Iit's not covered by this act because Apple states it's "A "limited warranty" and by definition: is one that does not meet the federal minimums. Such warranties must be "conspicuously designated" as limited warranties."

jaziCo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
SoCal (Orange County)
Total BS!

This is total BS from Apple...

To OP:

I had the same exact incident you had.. and I mean the same.. My hinge started making a crackling noise every time I would open and close. Took it to the Apple Store, no questions asked they replaced my entire screen (it's all one piece I guess)

I had upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 8GB, and my standard HD to an SSD.

I don't know why these clowns are giving you a hard time.. (the only thing I can think of, is maybe they are looking at replacing your entire machine?) Even then, it does not merit this kind of behavior.

Good Luck, and don't take NO for answer.. Just because we buy Apple care, were not allowed to effin upgrade our "OWN" hardware.. thats ludacris

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
How did it go?

Senior Tech Support Advisor (this morning): Same speech as the last guy. We cannot fix it because of the RAM.

Me: There not related. Hope about this, you fix my hinge and send me back my failed RAM?

Rep: No - sorry

Me: This is going no where. Please let me speak to a senior customer relations advisor. This people make things happen. (Normally)

Me: Explain the whole story to Rep

1. Genius knew I had upgraded RAM in computer
2. Genius watch me switch out my HD
3. Genius to lazy to go back and fix my address. (Im still trying to fix this) I dont want it sent to my house. He tells me to type my address in this "notes" section and they will ship it to that address. Well according to Apple that is not true...
4. The send me an email quoting my repair at $610
5. Senior Tech Rep tells me she will look into situation and email/call me back - two days later nothing. So I call.
6. Now waiting to hear back from Customer Relations Rep...been 6 hours...she is off in 1:30 minutes :(
7. Close if not over 3 hours on the phone - including wait time.

Hopefully I get somewhere.

O BTW - under my repair status it says I have until Nov 16 to respond otherwise they ship it back (to the wrong address currently).

That is my update.

----------

Your wrong - Apple acknowledge that I can upgrade RAM and HD.

----------

To OP:

I had the same exact incident you had.. and I mean the same.. My hinge started making a crackling noise every time I would open and close. Took it to the Apple Store, no questions asked they replaced my entire screen (it's all one piece I guess)

I don't know why these clowns are giving you a hard time.. (the only thing I can think of, is maybe they are looking at replacing your entire machine?) Even then, it does not merit this kind of behavior.

Good Luck, and don't take NO for answer.. Just because we buy Apple care, were not allowed to effin upgrade our "OWN" hardware.. thats ludacris

Thanks for the support.

----------

I can understand your grieve and frustration of dealing with mighty Apple red tape. If you were dealing with your local Apple Resellers, then, you wouldn't have all these problems.
Due to high exposure and hype in the media , now a days, most consumers believe it's safer and have a better deal for them to directly purchase Apple products from Apple (Apple's online store or Local Apple Stores) rather than from their friendly and knowledgable local Apple resellers.
Unfortunately, you are just one of the number of several hundred of millions in their database and they don't give a s*** about you. Provided you fit in their policy you are OK, otherwise, take it or leave it.
You just have yourself to blame and choose to directly deal with Apple and ignoring the alternative of supporting your Local Apple Resellers who has been serving, the passion and supporting Apple products users for more than 2 decades.
This is your choice !

I may do this :)

----------

Thanks!

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
Total BS!!!

I also agree with jaziCo

Senior Tech Support Advisor (this morning): Same speech as the last guy. We cannot fix it because of the RAM.

Me: There not related. Hope about this, you fix my hinge and send me back my failed RAM?

Rep: No - sorry

Me: This is going no where. Please let me speak to a senior customer relations advisor. This people make things happen. (Normally)

Me: Explain the whole story to Rep

1. Genius knew I had upgraded RAM in computer
2. Genius watch me switch out my HD
3. Genius to lazy to go back and fix my address. (Im still trying to fix this) I dont want it sent to my house. He tells me to type my address in this "notes" section and they will ship it to that address. Well according to Apple that is not true...
4. The send me an email quoting my repair at $610
5. Senior Tech Rep tells me she will look into situation and email/call me back - two days later nothing. So I call.
6. Now waiting to hear back from Customer Relations Rep...been 6 hours...she is off in 1:30 minutes
7. Close if not over 3 hours on the phone - including wait time.

Hopefully I get somewhere.

O BTW - under my repair status it says I have until Nov 16 to respond otherwise they ship it back (to the wrong address currently).

That is my update.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe1010
Your wrong - Apple acknowledge that I can upgrade RAM and HD.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaziCo

To OP:

Thanks for the support.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmacoz
This is your choice !
I may do this

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801

Thanks!

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
That's unusual. I swapped out the HDD for an SSD, and put an HDD in the optibay slot with an aftermarket bracket.

I still got my MBP warrantied for the little rubber foot that fell off, and replacing my battery.

You should mention the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act. I believe that speaks directly against what they are claiming.

Spink10

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Update:

Customer Relations - Contacted the repair depot. They are now going to ship my MacBook Pro back to the Apple retail store where they will fix the computer. Then contact me for pickup. No time frame has been given to me.

My customer relations agent let me know that we will be discussing compensation for my lost time / frustration / etc that this has caused me. I let her know I am expecting a substantial compensation.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003

Wrong.

RAM and HD are "user-serviceable" parts. If changing them out causes damage, Apple will not warranty repair such damage.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Fascinating..

What's interesting with these sorts of posts I noticed - many people are so keen on swapping out ram and hard drives but no one seems to be able to tackle the hinge with a few screws and some grease?

What is that one saying about insurance of any kind? Especially car insurance? It's the insurance that will kill you, the accident just injures you... So.... Applecare???

Food for thought...

I assumed all future financial responsibility when I cracked open my 17" MBP to upgrade the ram and rom in it, so I will make sure I can afford to pay for it when it needs tune ups by apple RATHER than rely on Applecare with all its hypocrisies and overall scam, weaseling their way around what they wanna cover and what they don't wanna cover after talking for over 8 hours a week on the phone or in person to just SIMPLY state one's case; while nothing is being done during that time to FIX any issue, I worry, I really worry... ...

I'm prepared to pay someone to fix my machine if it is something I CAN'T tackle, that way I can demand that it be done right the first time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.