Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1251division

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Just got my first iPad this week, black mini. I really don't like the aesthetic of a case, but want to be protected or operating under a reasonable calculated risk. I've mostly only used it at home, but look forward to venturing out of the house.

I clearly understand that the mobile aspect of the device provides unique opportunities for damage.

In your experience, what's your opinion of AC+ for iPad? What's the consumer consensus?

(I do not currently carry AC+ on this device.)

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Have personally never bought AppleCare for iPads and have owned the first, 3, and now 4. Don't keep them long enough to make it worth it as I will be reselling 4 once 5 is out. Do get it for computers because I expect them to last years.

TinyBFK

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
I have AppleCare plus for my ipad and all of our iPhones because I prefer no case. That being said I upgrade every year and the great thing about AppleCare + is they will pro rate a refund based on the time you have remaining. I say it's worth it for me but at the price point of the ipad mini I could see debating it a little more.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
Portability is the Key

I have AC+ for my iPhone 5, but I won't be getting it for my iPad 4. When/if I get an iPad mini w/Retina, I will get AC+ for it. If I am likely to carry the device out and about, then I want the protection.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What's the consumer consensus?
No such thing. It's a matter of preference and discussed in many, many threads. Even if one choice is more popular than the other you need to make the call for yourself based on your needs/wants/priorities/etc.

Same goes for Applecare for any Apple product or any extended warranty on any product in general. It's a subjective matter. Otherwise either everyone would buy them or no one at all would buy them.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I've got Applecare+ on my iPad 3 and I'm happy I did. I've dropped it at least three times onto concrete with no cracks so far. Obviously, the fact that the new Applecare provides accidental damage protection now sold me.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
Have AppleCare+ on my iPad Air and iPhone 5S, and have always had it on my last couple of devices. Have used it every time, mainly due to drops. Bringing my iPad in tomorrow for a smashed power button and a bent rear shell. I try to be careful, but I guess I'm accident prone. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.