Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antiv6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
As the title says my iphone 5 is stuck in headphone mode, there are no headphones in it but the phone thinks that there is. Any ideas? I've tried plugging in headphones and taking them out and it did nothing as well as turning the phone on and off. It just randomly happened today, I haven't had headphones in for over a week and it wasn't like this earlier.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
As the title says my iphone 5 is stuck in headphone mode, there are no headphones in it but the phone thinks that there is. Any ideas? I've tried plugging in headphones and taking them out and it did nothing as well as turning the phone on and off. It just randomly happened today, I haven't had headphones in for over a week and it wasn't like this earlier.

Try a phone reset, if that doesn't work then it looks like you'll need to take a trip to the Apple Store.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Have you tried plugging the headphones in, actually listening to music, pausing it, and then removing the headphones? That's how I've always been able to solve the problem on my iPhones past and present.

Reactions: TheJae

antiv6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
i did the reset, i messed with different headphones. I finally found a youtube video of a person who cut a q-tip then used the stick part and moved it around in there and somehow that worked. Idk how this happened it definitely didnt get wet

antiv6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
what is the LDI? Everything works perfect now after the q-tip trick, it hasnt been exposed to water at all and its always in a case in my pocket. I used headphones today too and its working like it should when i took them out

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I think LDI = Liquid Damage Indicator

They are the little white dots on the phone (in the headphone jack, in the charger port, etc) that will turn a different color when wet.

PMEDLEY

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
I had this same problem about a year ago. I searched the Internet for help. Almost everything I read suggested this had something to do with the headphone jack being dirty, wet or something lodged in it. I found it hard to believe that jamming the headphones in and out several times would fix this. I had the same feelings that blowing, freezing or vacuuming the headphone jack would fix my iPhone. I wanted to post this because, my phone did the same thing this evening. I got so frustrated because I couldn't remember what I did to correct it the last time. So, after about an hour of pulling my hair and going through every setting on my phone 20 times or so, I finally figured it out. I hope this helps anyone else going through the same issue. Go to your settings/ general/ accessibility/incoming calls. Change your incoming calls to default or speaker. Go back to your home screen press the volume and you most likely will see volume (headphones). Go back to your settings/ general/ accessibility/ incoming calls. Change your incoming calls to headset and this will fix your phone.

Charlenemarie

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
My phone to is stuck on headphone setting. I've tried plugging in and out the headphones and changing setting. Nothing has worked

Olebaxer

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2013
It worked for me!!! Settings-General-Accessibility-incoming Calls. Switch to speaker.
Tnx so mch

H2ulgsyd

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
I had this same problem about a year ago. I searched the Internet for help. Almost everything I read suggested this had something to do with the headphone jack being dirty, wet or something lodged in it. I found it hard to believe that jamming the headphones in and out several times would fix this. I had the same feelings that blowing, freezing or vacuuming the headphone jack would fix my iPhone. I wanted to post this because, my phone did the same thing this evening. I got so frustrated because I couldn't remember what I did to correct it the last time. So, after about an hour of pulling my hair and going through every setting on my phone 20 times or so, I finally figured it out. I hope this helps anyone else going through the same issue. Go to your settings/ general/ accessibility/incoming calls. Change your incoming calls to default or speaker. Go back to your home screen press the volume and you most likely will see volume (headphones). Go back to your settings/ general/ accessibility/ incoming calls. Change your incoming calls to headset and this will fix your phone.

This was literally so helpful!!! I made an account for the sole purpose of thanking you - you are a lifesaver. Everyone please read this, it worked for me. Thank you!

Arspeer

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
The cut off q-tip worked for me. Only took two or three times. Was a bit dirty in there.

emseven

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
When this happened to me it was lint in the cavity that the Genius blew out with compressed air.

hirschhorn

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
Problem solved

Thank you so much, this worked for me too (after fruitless hours of blowing, sucking, probing my headphone jack).

My default had been set to headphone after updating to ION 7.3. When I would listen to music, i could unplug the headphone jack and the music would keep playing. When the phone rang, if there were no headphones in it wouldn't ring. Just as described above.

Per the solution quoted above, I changed the setting to speaker, then called the phone, that worked. I left it like that for about 30 minutes, and then I changed it back to default, and everything works correctly. Don't be discouraged if you change to speaker, then change back to default and headphone is still engaged. It took my phone about 30 minutes to clear up. But now it works, no problem. Thank you!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I see you fixed it but I had this happen to me the other day after using a Square (credit card reader which might I add I can't get to work in iOS 7 properly).

A reset (power + home buttons) fixed it. Very strange and kind of scary at the same time. You don't realize how important a phone can be until there is the potential of it not working properly.

Thankyou!

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014

I struggled with this same problem, and resorted to rubbing alcohol, q-tips, and jamming a sheet of toilet paper down the headphone jack. Nothing worked!! I was worried that the alarm function would not work since it was stuck in headphone mode, and I had to get up early... After reviewing 3 different websites, I found your post and it worked!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post this, and having such clear instructions. I also created an account just to say thanks!! Your solution worked for me!!

RIP123

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
Mines done it too.

My iPod (5th gen) has not got wet at all because I always keep it in a case when I go out, and when I'm at home I never drink while using it because I've done it before on my DS and that broke. When I try and play music off the music app, it just skips past all the songs, and it doesn't play sound from games because it thinks it has headphones in it. Also, even when I tried to use head phones in it, it still doesn't work (I've tried multiple ones). I've tried wiggling them around and blowing into the it and I there is definitely nothing inside it. It's not in warranty either, so I can't take it back. :mad: :(

ChristyCC

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014

Thanks so much for this solution. Worked for me! The button sequence I needed to use was named slightly differently. Took me a while to figure out so thought I'd share to save others a bit of time...I recently updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 8.1, so perhaps that's when things changed. Here's what I did:
settings/general/accessibility/call audio routing (you need to scroll way down to the bottom to find this!) and then switch between speaker and headset as described above.

Incidentally, i took my phone to an Apple store last week. Waited an hour for a Genius Bar appointment and was told it couldn't be fixed, but I could have a new handset for GBP200 (about USD250). Glad I had one more look on here before I went back to the store!!

dawt.dash

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2014
Yep, q-tip thingy worked well for me. Wiggled it around a bit, up and down, got a lot of dirt/dust out of there. Turned on some music and speaker was working again. THANK YOU!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.