Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:24 AM   #1
harisn
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Battery Drop on MacBook Air 2012

I recently bought a new MacBook Air 2012 (13.3-inch, i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD). Made my move to Mac from Windows 1-2 months ago with this notebook.

I updated this MacBook to OS X 10.8.2 and that went super smooth. My battery timing was increased a bit. Yesterday, I checked for available software updates from the App Store and got several updates for my OS X, including the new EFI Firmware update for 10.8.2 for MacBook Air 2012.

The update was downloaded and installed correctly, but apparently, my battery timing has significantly dropped like crazy. I'm barely getting 4 hours out of this MacBook today. Before installing this EFI Firmware update, I was pulling around 6-7 hours of battery time with heavy usage.

What could have gone wrong? Just yesterday it was fine, but today battery time is really bad. Any one else also having this issue?

Thanks!
harisn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:02 AM   #2
harisn
macrumors newbie

I think I have figured out what is the problem. It's Chrome 23.0.1271.64. MacBook starts heating up and battery goes down really fast when I have Chrome running.

It gets back to normal after I quit Chrome. Anyone has any idea what could be the problem with Chrome that is causing this?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:16 AM   #3
jmgregory1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by harisn View Post
I think I have figured out what is the problem. It's Chrome 23.0.1271.64. MacBook starts heating up and battery goes down really fast when I have Chrome running.

It gets back to normal after I quit Chrome. Anyone has any idea what could be the problem with Chrome that is causing this?
Chrome has a number of known issues. I'd suggest sticking to Safari or Firefox just to avoid the battery drain.
jmgregory1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:33 AM   #4
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502

Evil Google's plan to get everyone to buy a Chromebook, no doubt
HarryWarden is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:29 PM   #5
dcorban
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by harisn View Post

It could simply be the native Adobe Flash plugin.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:07 PM   #6
harisn
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post
Chrome has a number of known issues. I'd suggest sticking to Safari or Firefox just to avoid the battery drain.
Safari? Gaaahh! I'll try sticking to Firefox for now or try an older version of Chrome first.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorban View Post
It could simply be the native Adobe Flash plugin.
Yes. I'll try disabling it first.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air