Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:51 AM   #1
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Learning a bit of back end web design...help

Hi,

I am working on a website, mo specifically a fan site as a sort of side hobby for TES Online when it comes out. I know how to create a basic website with HTML and a small amount of CSS. Basically, I can make it look good. What I am weak at is knowledge at back end stuff. More specifically I would appreciate it if someone would point me in the right direction for learning the following:

A login system, I am using Invision Power if there is a method to integrating those accounts with the website. The login system I want to create has to be manageable with permissions to actually edit the site itself without accessing the source code.

Searchable databases. For items and stuff like that, I would like to know how to integrate a search bar that will search for a specific thing in the database. I would also want more 'items' to be created by members with the permission to do so.

So is there any site/books that teach me how to do all of that? I have had little luck so far finding out how to...

Thanks.
A Hebrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Jord5i
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
Hi,

I am working on a website, mo specifically a fan site as a sort of side hobby for TES Online when it comes out. I know how to create a basic website with HTML and a small amount of CSS. Basically, I can make it look good. What I am weak at is knowledge at back end stuff. More specifically I would appreciate it if someone would point me in the right direction for learning the following:

A login system, I am using Invision Power if there is a method to integrating those accounts with the website. The login system I want to create has to be manageable with permissions to actually edit the site itself without accessing the source code.

Searchable databases. For items and stuff like that, I would like to know how to integrate a search bar that will search for a specific thing in the database. I would also want more 'items' to be created by members with the permission to do so.

So is there any site/books that teach me how to do all of that? I have had little luck so far finding out how to...

Thanks.

You should start learning PHP, the basics are not that hard and you can do a LOT with it. Check out some tutorials at mybringback.com.

Also w3schools.

When you get around on the basics of php, you could learn some SQL and combine the 2 (sql is for database stuff).
Jord5i is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development