Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:37 AM   #1
rhumbaclave
macrumors newbie

My Verizon Unlimited subsidized story

I will make this quick, and I have no idea how this worked.

Bought two Verizon iPhones 2 weeks after launch subsidized and choose the 2gb plan. After 3 days and using almost 1 gb of Data I got nervous and called customer support, this is what I said. "Listen, this is not going to work. Sprint and AT&T offer unlimited plans and I don't think I will be able to keep doing this on Verizon" I was very polite and not augmentative at all. The CS rep said "hold a minute, it looks like I can add the unlimited back on" I said "reeeeally, well do that." She did. I did not ask about the other phone since it is my wife's and she will not use more the 500 megs a month.

I have been on the unlimited plan since. I thought at first it was just a 1 month thing but it is still there and I used 10gb in the first month and it look like it will be the same this month.
rhumbaclave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:44 AM   #2
BFizzzle
Banned

thats very nice of them to do that. Too bad there isnt a guarantee they will/can :/
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:12 AM   #3
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

I'm not saying it isn't possible..... but I really find it hard to believe a CSR could just turn on a plan that is no longer offered to customers.
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:15 AM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

AT&T offers an unlimited plan? Hmmm, that's news.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:25 AM   #5
tkrechel
macrumors newbie

I'm calling bs
tkrechel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:27 AM   #6
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumbaclave View Post

Bought two Verizon iPhones 2 weeks after launch subsidized and choose the 2gb plan. After 3 days and using almost 1 gb of Data I got nervous and called customer support, this is what I said. "Listen, this is not going to work. Sprint and AT&T offer unlimited plans and I don't think I will be able to keep doing this on Verizon" I was very polite and not augmentative at all. The CS rep said "hold a minute, it looks like I can add the unlimited back on" I said "reeeeally, well do that." She did. I did not ask about the other phone since it is my wife's and she will not use more the 500 megs a month.

I have been on the unlimited plan since. I thought at first it was just a 1 month thing but it is still there and I used 10gb in the first month and it look like it will be the same this month.
You didn't by chance get the CSR's name did you?
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:37 AM   #7
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
I'm not saying it isn't possible..... but I really find it hard to believe a CSR could just turn on a plan that is no longer offered to customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrechel View Post
I'm calling bs
when i upgraded to the ipad 3 i lost my unlimited data.. by mistake. They were able to easily get it back for me. i know this is different than me choosing to change my plan and upgrade a subsidized phone.
but the carriers do have the record of past plans, and the ability to change it back to previous plans... as to how long they retain it.. and have the ability to change who knows.

Last edited by BFizzzle; Nov 15, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:38 AM   #8
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
when i upgraded to the ipad 3 i lost my unlimited data.. by mistake. They were able to easily get it back for me. i know this is different than me choosing to change my plan and upgrade a subsidized phone.
but the carriers do have the record of past plans, and the ability to change it back to previous plans... as to how long they retain it.. and have the ability to change who knows.

----------

he said verizon... and they didnt offer it as a new plan.. they just reverted him back to his original plan.
Read OP, "Listen, this is not going to work. Sprint and AT&T offer unlimited plans and I don't think I will be able to keep doing this on Verizon"
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:41 AM   #9
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:

he said verizon... and they didnt offer it as a new plan.. they just reverted him back to his original plan.
See, but I'm not seeing anything that said he had an unlimited plan prior to upgrading to the iPhone 5. Further, when you re-up now your 2 year plan they are requiring you to go to one of their new plans....

Yes in your case when you moved to your iPad 3 you lost your unlimited data, but were you actually re-upping your plan? My guess is you didn't sign a new contact and that is why it was able to be put back on. This is the same as buying an iPhone 5 outright, you can still retain your unlimited data as long as Verizon didn't foot the bill for your phone (or in your case your iPad).
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:43 AM   #10
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
See, but I'm not seeing anything that said he had an unlimited plan prior to upgrading to the iPhone 5. Further, when you re-up now your 2 year plan they are requiring you to go to one of their new plans....

Yes in your case when you moved to your iPad 3 you lost your unlimited data, but were you actually re-upping your plan? My guess is you didn't sign a new contact and that is why it was able to be put back on.
he wasnt too clear but he did.. or well it appears he did

Quote:

so using the context clues.. it was on prior...op just wasnt clear
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:05 AM   #11
rhumbaclave
macrumors newbie

Quote:
he wasnt too clear but he did.. or well it appears he did

so using the context clues.. it was on prior...op just wasnt clear
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Yes I had unlimited for my iPhone 4 that I choose to get rid of to get the iPhone 5 at the subsidized price. At the store I choose the 2gb plan since bit kept my price the same. I was shocked when she offered that and the CSR rep didn't identify herself as a manager or a retention type person.
rhumbaclave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:11 AM   #12
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumbaclave View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Yes I had unlimited for my iPhone 4 that I choose to get rid of to get the iPhone 5 at the subsidized price. At the store I choose the 2gb plan since bit kept my price the same. I was shocked when she offered that and the CSR rep didn't identify herself as a manager or a retention type person.
You really don't gain anything from lying but considering how much Verizon wants to get rid of unlimited plans I really have a hard time believing you. The fact that you upgraded and chose a new plan is exactly what they want people to do in order to eliminate those grandfathered unlimited people. Anyway, if what you are saying is true you are very lucky and should count your blessings because that should not have happened and I wouldn't be surprised if someone down the line catches it and you lose it again.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:17 AM   #13
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
You really don't gain anything from lying but considering how much Verizon wants to get rid of unlimited plans I really have a hard time believing you. The fact that you upgraded and chose a new plan is exactly what they want people to do in order to eliminate those grandfathered unlimited people. Anyway, if what you are saying is true you are very lucky and should count your blessings because that should not have happened and I wouldn't be surprised if someone down the line catches it and you lose it again.

my thoughts exactly.. i could see them saying they will if you return the phone/pay the remainder of the cost of subsidies. Dont think hes really lying like you said nothing to gain. Good luck OP.. you may have dodged a $450 bullet. Wish i could have gotten this deal on my ip5.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:28 AM   #14
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
where do you get your information? Unlimited data is very valid and is very much still offered. It's not offered to the "general public" but I just got an email the other day from our verizon rep and an option was unlimited data.

Just because YOU don't see something or it's not offered to YOU doesn't mean it doesn't exist...
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:46 AM   #15
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
where do you get your information? Unlimited data is very valid and is very much still offered. It's not offered to the "general public" but I just got an email the other day from our verizon rep and an option was unlimited data.

Just because YOU don't see something or it's not offered to YOU doesn't mean it doesn't exist...
Yeah I am calling BS on this. like some people say picture or it didn't happen.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:55 AM   #16
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yeah I am calling BS on this. like some people say picture or it didn't happen.
I don't give a ***** what you're "calling". I work for a large corporation that holds a corporate account with Verizon and we get special deals. Period.

I don't care if you don't belive me... I don't need to show you a damn picture.

Once again... ignorance. "If I don't see it, it must not exist"
Leonard1818 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:55 AM   #17
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1521967.html

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technolo...-data-for-all/

And oh yeah, here's news from Verizon directly:
http://news.verizonwireless.com/news...a-pricing.html

So again, unless you pay for your phone outright, you will lose unlimited data. Verizon basically figures that $20 of your phone bill goes to paying them back for the phone, so if you chose not to use the subsidy , it is basically like paying an extra $20 a month on top of your phone bill to kep unlimited.

I'm going to believe the news sources and verizon directly that unlimited is no longer being offered to new customers and only those that pay for their phone outright and were grandfathered will get to keep the unlimited plan.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:58 AM   #18
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
I don't give a ***** what you're "calling". I work for a large corporation that holds a corporate account with Verizon and we get special deals. Period.

Big freaking difference between John Doe getting a phone contract with his family and a freaking large corporation. If you had said that crap from the beginning I would not have said anything. Calm down buddy. And yeah I was ignorant. Ignorant of the fact that you were talking about a corporate account. Side note if you are going to make claims about something that has been all but eliminated you do have to show some kind of proof. I can say I walked into Verizon yesterday and got unlimited data with an iPhone 5. Doesn't make it true.

Last edited by VandyChem2009; Nov 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Stupid mistake
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:58 AM   #19
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:

I work for a 40,000+ corp with special rates/discounts from Verizon and we are not being given options to keep our unlimited data....
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:59 AM   #20
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
I work for a 40,000+ corp with special rates/discounts from Verizon and we are not being given options to keep our unlimited data....
I'm more inclined to trust you.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:08 AM   #21
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

n/a

----------

Quote:
Is your company in the mobile phone business?

----------

Quote:
Big freaking difference between John Doe getting a phone contract with his family and a freaking large corporation. If you had said that crap from the beginning I would not have said anything. Calm down buddy. And yeah I was ignorant. Ignorant of the fact that you were talking about a corporate account. Side note if you are going to make claims about something that has been all but eliminated you do have to show some kind of proof. I can say I walked into Verizon yesterday and got unlimited data with an iPhone 5. Doesn't make it true.
My account is a personal account. I am still offered deals. My employer does not pay for my phone bill.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:09 AM   #22
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
n/a
Well you woulnd't get that deal if it wasn't for you corporation. The fact remains that people can't just walk into a store and get unlimited data.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:15 AM   #23
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Well you woulnd't get that deal if it wasn't for you corporation. The fact remains that people can't just walk into a store and get unlimited data.
That is correct.

I didn't claim that I was some special person that was afforded special deals.... my point was in reference to people saying "Unlimited data on Verizon does not exist anymore". That is not true. There are ways. Some may be special deals through corporations but I think that the OP could very well be telling the truth.

----------

...for what it's worth, I did not take the deal. There were other stipulations*

I'm on a run-of-the-mill consumer plan with, what I consider to be, a decent corporate discount.

Last edited by Leonard1818; Nov 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: called the discount good. it's really just decent lol
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:19 AM   #24
chakraj
macrumors 65816

I dont know, I think I will need to see a wood carving of the event or it didn't happen, at the very least I will need to see a tapestry of the event. Show me one of those or its BS.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:24 AM   #25
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
[/COLOR]...for what it's worth, I did not take the deal. There were other stipulations*

I'm on a run-of-the-mill consumer plan with, what I consider to be, a decent corporate discount.
You mean like having to pay for your phone out right?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone