Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
I was wondering these models of ram work for the iBook:

DDR SO-DIMM

PC 2700 DDR 333
PC 2400 DDR 333
PC 2100 DDR 226

I read in the iBook manual that the computer processes data at "the speed of PC2100 DDR 226). So if I were to buy ram above that (spec wise) it would still work but would operate at the lower speed correct?

Out of the three (if they all work) which do you think is best to buy? Thanks in advance

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
Peter Griffin said:
I was wondering these models of ram work for the iBook:

DDR SO-DIMM

PC 2700 DDR 333
PC 2400 DDR 333
PC 2100 DDR 226

I read in the iBook manual that the computer processes data at "the speed of PC2100 DDR 226). So if I were to buy ram above that (spec wise) it would still work but would operate at the lower speed correct?

Out of the three (if they all work) which do you think is best to buy? Thanks in advance

I'm no expert, but I do know that speed specs are FAR from a guarantee of compatibility with Macs.

Make certain that you buy ram from a seller that guarantees compatibility, or you may find yourself very S.O.L.

I was pretty sure that the latest gen of iBooks support PC2700, but I may very well be wrong. The Crucial ram I bought for mine (compatibility guaranteed) is PC2700.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
chucknorris said:
I'm no expert, but I do know that speed specs are FAR from a guarantee of compatibility with Macs.

Make certain that you buy ram from a seller that guarantees compatibility, or you may find yourself very S.O.L.

I was pretty sure that the latest gen of iBooks support PC2700, but I may very well be wrong. The Crucial ram I bought for mine (compatibility guaranteed) is PC2700.

I don't have the option of buying from Crucial since I don't live in the States/EU. The dealers here are pretty shady and there isn't a refund policy which is why I've come to these boards for help.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
2700 speed will work for iBooks. In fact, it is a better buy because if you sell the book, you can bet the memory will still be usable in other more modern types of laptops, like PBs etc. Getting 2100 might be cheaper but you don't have that saleable option for it in the future. For my old Tibook PBs, I loved regular Kingston ram, as opposed to their ValueRam which I hear, is not recommended for Macs. I noticed that Apple ships with OEM Samsung made ram and got that for my latest ibooks. Works great. I did make the 2100 lower price choice for one of the iBooks, and will let you know how it works. Ebay has done right by me, sorry that others have been burned on MR by it, but buying ram and other Apple stuff of eBay has been a pure joy. Perhaps it is because I have a good rating or something.

So Samsung or Kingston regular ram, I recommend geting 2700 which is backwards compatible with 2100 speed in iBooks, because it will be worth more in future.

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
California said:
2700 speed will work for iBooks. In fact, it is a better buy because if you sell the book, you can bet the memory will still be usable in other more modern types of laptops, like PBs etc. Getting 2100 might be cheaper but you don't have that saleable option for it in the future. For my old Tibook PBs, I loved regular Kingston ram, as opposed to their ValueRam which I hear, is not recommended for Macs. I noticed that Apple ships with OEM Samsung made ram and got that for my latest ibooks. Works great. I did make the 2100 lower price choice for one of the iBooks, and will let you know how it works. Ebay has done right by me, sorry that others have been burned on MR by it, but buying ram and other Apple stuff of eBay has been a pure joy. Perhaps it is because I have a good rating or something.

So Samsung or Kingston regular ram, I recommend geting 2700 which is backwards compatible with 2100 speed in iBooks, because it will be worth more in future.

So, just to make sure, all the ones I listed above would be compatible with my iBook (1.33 ghz) correct? I'm going out tomorrow so I'll make sure to look at Samsung or Kingston.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.