How can I tell which WebKit version is running on my Mac? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:11 AM   #1
cranfan
macrumors newbie

How can I tell which WebKit version is running on my Mac?

How can I tell which WebKit version is running on my Mac Mini 2,1?

If I lookup the User Agent on Safari it will tell me the Browser version number and the WebKit version.

Is it as simple as this or is it possible for the underlying WebKkit version to be different from the one showing in the User Agent? Perhaps where an older version of Safari has been reinstalled. Will the User Agent always display the current WebKit version or just the one it originally came with?

I ask because I had some website layout problems around Webkit 534 and I want to test comprehensively that I have fixed it.
cranfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:38 AM   #2
grizfan
macrumors member

http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/DetectingWebKit - this JavaScript should help ID the specific WebKit version.

Also, this chart shows the WebKit version matched to each release of Safari, if that helps...
grizfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:10 AM   #3
cranfan
macrumors newbie

Thanks grizfan, I've seen the script before, could not use it, will try again.

The thing with the chart is - I have a version 5.06 Safari on my Mac os x 10.58 which shows WebKit version as 534.50.2 in the user agent - according to the chart this should be 533.22.3 (which is what shows against the Safari version in the user agent).

So the WebKit version seems to have moved on ahead of the Safari release version?
cranfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2013, 08:08 AM   #4
Cronax
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranfan View Post
Thanks grizfan, I've seen the script before, could not use it, will try again.

The thing with the chart is - I have a version 5.06 Safari on my Mac os x 10.58 which shows WebKit version as 534.50.2 in the user agent - according to the chart this should be 533.22.3 (which is what shows against the Safari version in the user agent).

So the WebKit version seems to have moved on ahead of the Safari release version?
You're right, the webkit version does move ahead of the Safari release version. This is also the reason why you can't really have multiple versions of Safari installed on the same computer, it will automatically use the latest version of WebKit it can find.

Last edited by Cronax; Nov 26, 2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Oops...sorry for the necro, misread it as 2013 instead of 2012...
Cronax is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development