Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oklaonion

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Whether or not to get an iPad mini is completely subjective, but it seems like I am a perfect candidate for one. It's still a lot of money, though, so I thought I'd throw this out there to see what you guys think.

Here is my current setup: My wife and I ditched our iPhones and have dumb phones, I am using a 6 year-old iPod video for music, an iPad 1, Macbook Pro, and PC laptop for work.

I didn't think I'd be interested in a mini, but I travel 2 months out of the year and really missed having an "internet everywhere" and GPS device. I also often would leave my laptop at home and travel only with my iPad 1, which has slowed down and is a bit big and cumbersome. I also need a Facetime camera to chat with the wife and kids while I'm away and the rear camera would be used as well because, again, no iPhone.

So I'm thinking a white 32 GB wifi/LTE iPad mini would replace my old iPhone for data, the iPad 1, iPod, and possibly my laptop when I travel. My issue is that it's still $600 for that and a smart cover and that would cover the cost of a 32 GB wifi only iPad 4, which may be a bit more future proof. I also have some reservations about the screen/internal specs but the iPad mini will be the fastest iOS device I own and, since ditching my iPhone 4S, I don't have a single retina device. So my reservations seem silly to me. I LOVE the form factor and weight of the mini (played around with one at Best Buy).

Thoughts?

I already sold my iPad 1 16gb wifi for $220.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
A tablet with LTE is definitely the way to go. I too only have a flip phone for calls, as I prefer it over a smartphone.

I do also have an iphone but up until today, was only using it with a data only service. However, as I have just received the LTE mini ipad, the service will be cancelled and the iphone sold.

LTE mini (or 4) and a regular cell phone is all I need. Not to mention, they are the best of both worlds.

oklaonion

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
A tablet with LTE is definitely the way to go. I too only have a flip phone for calls, as I prefer it over a smartphone.

I do also have an iphone but up until today, was only using it with a data only service. However, as I have just received the LTE mini ipad, the service will be cancelled and the iphone sold.

LTE mini (or 4) and a regular cell phone is all I need. Not to mention, they are the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the input! But would you choose the mini over the iPad 4? I guess I am going back and forth between the two. I love the idea of a smaller iPad, but I am used to the bigger iPad 1 so even the 4 would seem like an improvement in that category and then there is the raw power.

TOUGH. CHOICE.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Thanks for the input! But would you choose the mini over the iPad 4? I guess I am going back and forth between the two. I love the idea of a smaller iPad, but I am used to the bigger iPad 1 so even the 4 would seem like an improvement in that category and then there is the raw power.

TOUGH. CHOICE.

That is the million dollar question.

I have ordered both to see which one best suits my needs. It's a tough choice because the mini is just so light and portable, however, the 4 is future proof and has the much better screen.

oklaonion

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
That is the million dollar question.

I have ordered both to see which one best suits my needs. It's a tough choice because the mini is just so light and portable, however, the 4 is future proof and has the much better screen.

Keep me posted, I guess.

Right now I am leaning toward the mini because of the price and size. My budget is tight these days - I'm already torn about dropping $600 on one device and a 4 would bump it up to $800 because I must have (1) 32 GB and (2) LTE. I may also sell the Macbook so there is the whole "laptop replacement" thing to consider, which the 4 may be better suited for. I love the Mac but I simply do not use it very much. I will always have my work PC laptop as a backup. I will also likely have to wait another month to come up with another $200 for the 4, but if it's the right decision I will wait, even though I'm currently suffering from iPad withdrawal. This coming from a guy who bought an iPad 1 two months before iPad 2 :(.

drakeshipway

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
Oakville, Ontario
I currently have an iPad 2 & will be upgrading to an iPad mini with LTE. I think the mini is going to fit my needs much better. I love my iPad 2, except for the weight and size. It hurts my wrists to use for extended periods, and I find it awkward to hold at times. Plus the newer 9.7" iPads are even heavier!

I'm looking forward to the portability of the mini, and I think it will get much more use, especially because of adding LTE. Also, the screen doesn't bother me, because I'm used to my iPad 2.

Enjoy whatever you end up getting!

oklaonion

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I currently have an iPad 2 & will be upgrading to an iPad mini with LTE. I think the mini is going to fit my needs much better. I love my iPad 2, except for the weight and size. It hurts my wrists to use for extended periods, and I find it awkward to hold at times. Plus the newer 9.7" iPads are even heavier!

I'm looking forward to the portability of the mini, and I think it will get much more use, especially because of adding LTE. Also, the screen doesn't bother me, because I'm used to my iPad 2.

Enjoy whatever you end up getting!

I keep coming back to the mini, so that's what it'll likely be. Regardless, I will certainly enjoy it. It's this transition period that might kill me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.