Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been asked or not... But last night I was playing on my iPhone 5 in the dark and noticed a little tiny red dot dimming and lighting up again beside the ear piece on the left. It was faint and you have to look for it.

Wasn't sure what this was. I assumed the auto brightness light, but I don't have auto brightness on. Now that I noticed it though, I keep seeing it when in the dark lol.

Anyone got some insight on what it is?

Thanks in advance.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been asked or not... But last night I was playing on my iPhone 5 in the dark and noticed a little tiny red dot dimming and lighting up again beside the ear piece on the left. It was faint and you have to look for it.

Wasn't sure what this was. I assumed the auto brightness light, but I don't have auto brightness on. Now that I noticed it though, I keep seeing it when in the dark lol.

Anyone got some insight on what it is?

Thanks in advance.

I hate to break it to you but that's Skynet watching you.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
It's the proximity sensor, you wouldn't normally see if in the light. It may be on all the time if you have Siri's "raise-to-speak" feature on. Otherwise, it may be visible due to the lighting conditions. Don't think it's an issue though.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
I figured a laser beam for an upcoming iOS 7 update allowing you to shoot the people that steal your phone.

Guess its just the proximity sensor.

Thanks for the quick responses. Caught my eye and now I will forever see it :(

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
I figured a laser beam for an upcoming iOS 7 update allowing you to shoot the people that steal your phone.

Why the sad face? You'd be hard pressed to see it during the day. You'd only notice it at night and why are you looking at a little red dot instead of the screen anyway?

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

its a proximity sensor..that shoots lasers at reba mcentire if shes within a 20 foot radius.
Its in ios 6.1.. i was able to try it out in the beta

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Why the sad face? You'd be hard pressed to see it during the day. You'd only notice it at night and why are you looking at a little red dot instead of the screen anyway?

Because it catches my eye.

I can be showing sad faces

longdogdealwithit.gif

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Not my problem, you're the one that has to deal with it, I was just curious.

I'm going to make it your problem in two seconds.

Watch that tone.

Nah I'm playing... you aiight

shes just annoying IMO. I watched about 2 minutes of her show once.
i was going to put her or Rosie O'Donnell

Yeah both are super annoying bishes. I wouldn't mind a laser beam app that shoots them if they get to close.

Most recent pic of Rosie on TMZ

images

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.