Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:47 AM   #1
KittyKatta
macrumors 6502

Do you use your iPad Mini in public? (Did you use your big iPad in public?)

I love the 9.7" iPad but with many people then the biggest complaint has always been "its too big to carry around and use outside of the house". But now that Apple has addressed that issue with the smaller iPad Mini then I'm wondering if its changed anyones usage patterns. Are you carrying more than your iPad? Are you no longer feeling dorky when using it in public? Is it still getting left at home?
KittyKatta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:22 AM   #2
tpr007
macrumors member

I used to use my ipad 3 if I intentionally went to costa to sit and use it whilst having a drink. But, rarely took it out apart from that.

With my mini, I've already started taking it out more. It tucks neatly into the front pockets on my hoodies. In fact, I'm sat in a pub with it now.

It's the perfect size IMO, as the tabs/kindle fire I used to have had screen size /shapes that weren't useful IMO. This screen, although only a 0.9" increase actually provides a ton more usable, useful space.

Love it so much I sold my retina iPad.

Last edited by tpr007; Nov 15, 2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Spelling.
tpr007 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:49 AM   #3
d123
macrumors 65816

I used to take my 9.7 iPad out with me on occasion, but never used it in "public" only in the car, or while waiting in a reception area for an appointment. I wouldn't use it on a bus, train or open area because I always felt it was slightly too big and it would take one clumsy MOP to bump into me and knock it out my hands. It also needed a bag to carry it around.

I don't feel the same with the Mini, it's pocketable so no bag required, and holding it seems much more secure, I would say I have it with me most times I leave home now and have no issues using it anywhere.
d123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:58 AM   #4
smorris
macrumors member

I use my full size iPad out and about all the time, in coffee shops, waiting for appointments, sitting in the park, at airports, waiting for my wife somewhere. I use the Dodo Case, so it just carries (and looks) like a book and easy to flip open and use. Otherwise I use my iPhone.

If I know I'm going to be somewhere for a longer period and anticipate reading for some time, I'll stick my Kindle Touch in my jacket pocket for reading.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:05 AM   #5
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpr007 View Post
I used to use my ipad 3 if I intentionally went to costa to sit and use it whilst having a drink. But, rarely took it out apart from that.

With my mini, I've already started taking it out more. It tucks neatly into the front pockets on my hoodies. In fact, I'm sat in a pub with it now.

It's the perfect size IMO, as the tabs/kindle fire I used to have had screen size /shapes that weren't useful IMO. This screen, although only a 0.9" increase actually provides a ton more usable, useful space.

Love it so much I sold my retina iPad.
Yup that's a big thing for me to have it fit in my jacket pocket. Much more mobile
rockyroad55 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Amnak
macrumors 6502

I don't have a mini , but i find it funny that the topic makes it appear as if it is shameful or bizarre to use your regular size iPad in public. I use my full size iPad all the time in public , iPad use outside of the house has become common.
I would find it interesting to hear if more people feel the same as you all.
Amnak is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:23 AM   #7
ditzy
macrumors 65816

I used to use my big iPad out side my home. It was lighter than carrying a laptop around and did everything that I needed it to while out. The mini is even more perfect for doing this.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:38 AM   #8
cardfan
macrumors regular

Nope, that's what an iphone is for.
cardfan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:44 AM   #9
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
No, I'm pretty sure the iPhone is for phone calls and "smart' functions on the go. As a commuter I could never conceive of reading books and surfing the Internet on my iPhone exclusively. When the iPad was first announced I immediately viewed it as a replacement for my Kindle, which up until then I used for reading on my daily train commute. I've since logged probably 1,000 hours of train time with my iPad, reading about a book a week, catching up on news, reading articles, work documents, etc. It's ideal for using "in public."
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:57 AM   #10
cardfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloponies View Post
No, I'm pretty sure the iPhone is for phone calls and "smart' functions on the go. As a commuter I could never conceive of reading books and surfing the Internet on my iPhone exclusively. When the iPad was first announced I immediately viewed it as a replacement for my Kindle, which up until then I used for reading on my daily train commute. I've since logged probably 1,000 hours of train time with my iPad, reading about a book a week, catching up on news, reading articles, work documents, etc. It's ideal for using "in public."
Really? I've read hundreds of books on the iphone. For news reading, there's some great apps or use the browser. What is it about the retina screen on the iphone 5 that bothers you? Text too sharp?
cardfan is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:02 AM   #11
wknapp0924
macrumors 6502

I don't mind people taking their Ipads out in public, but people leave your damn Ipad home when you goto a concert. It is bad enough that half the crowd is holding up their phone to record the music, but now I see people holding up their Ipads to get video. Just enjoy the music that you paid to see "live" Or do what I do and turn voice recorder on and keep phone in my breast pocket. End Rant.
wknapp0924 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:02 AM   #12
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
I go back and forth on this idea of when to use my iPad mini vs iPhone.

I have definitely taken my iPad mini more places than I did my iPad 2, surprisingly the weight does make a difference (in comparison to the 9.7" iPad). Another reason is because 95% of the places that I go to now offer free wifi and if thats the case I would rather use the larger screen device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wknapp0924 View Post
I don't mind people taking their Ipads out in public, but people leave your damn Ipad home when you goto a concert. It is bad enough that half the crowd is holding up their phone to record the music, but now I see people holding up their Ipads to get video. Just enjoy the music that you paid to see "live" Or do what I do and turn voice recorder on and keep phone in my breast pocket. End Rant.
I went to go watch my friends boxing tournament over the weekend and there was a woman in the first row holding up her 9.7" iPad recording the fights (in Portrait mode of all things). I can see her arms getting tired, but I'm with you, I just don't get it and in a few weeks when I go see The Killers perform, if someone is holding an iPad in front of me I will say something.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:16 PM   #13
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

I use it at the library, b&n, pandora bread, Starbucks. I bought the black one. If I bought it in white, I know I would attract people since they would know it is a Mini. Not one person has asked me about my Mini yet.
AppleRobert is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:24 PM   #14
neutrino23
macrumors 65816

I use my iPad 3 everywhere. I use the Muzetto bag from SFbags.com to carry it and a few accessories.
neutrino23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:24 PM   #15
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Really? I've read hundreds of books on the iphone. For news reading, there's some great apps or use the browser. What is it about the retina screen on the iphone 5 that bothers you? Text too sharp?
While you can certainly choose to read hundreds of books on an iPhone, it's a compromise solution. I prefer the iPad by far and if you placed them side by side and asked 100 people which they would prefer for reading, I'd be shocked if 90%+ didn't choose the iPad.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:31 PM   #16
Paito
macrumors regular

I'm using my ipad 3 at the hospital right now accompanying a friend.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:35 PM   #17
d123
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnak View Post
I don't have a mini , but i find it funny that the topic makes it appear as if it is shameful or bizarre to use your regular size iPad in public. I use my full size iPad all the time in public , iPad use outside of the house has become common.
I never found it shameful of bizarre, it was more the fear of some clumsy idiot knocking it from my hands, held portrait to read a magazine or news site means the bigger iPad sticks out significantly from the hands and it just the fear of breakage that put me off.
d123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:37 PM   #18
wrkactjob
Banned

iPad on the morning train commute, wish I had a 1 for every other commuter with one.
wrkactjob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:42 PM   #19
AlvinNguyen
macrumors 6502a

I find that I use my LTE iPad WAYYY more than the wifi one I had previously. In fact, my wifi one stayed home and collected dust. It was too big and clunky. I love it for its portfolio use but other than that it had no other function for me.

When I got my iPad 3 LTE I used it everywhere - it was big and heavy but whatever, I dealt with it for having that beautiful screen - now with the mini LTE coming out I see that being even more common I'm still keeping my iPad 3 but it'll be for meetings and portfolio use. I will be carrying my LTE everywhere along with the iPhone - the only place where I won't have the mini would be parties and such.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:57 PM   #20
Kayakphotos
macrumors member

I remember the good old days getting my undergrad when I had to go to coffee shops for Internet access with my laptop.

After that experience using any of the iPads is a joy. That being said, I much prefer the mobility of the mini now that I have one. Everyone refers to it as my "kindle" since I have it in a folio case.
Kayakphotos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:24 PM   #21
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnak View Post
Common sense dictates that if there's no need to tether a device to a wall outlet then it's portable. Totally stumps me as to why using it outside the house seems puzzling to some.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:15 PM   #22
shenan1982
macrumors 68000

I'm afraid to use it in public. I sit in the darkest corner of my closed and clutch my iPad and watch Dora the Explorer, hoping one day to gather the guys to come out of the closet and admit who I really am... a Dora The Explorer FANBOI!
shenan1982 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:31 PM   #23
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

I still think its hilarious that people justify their Mini purchases by making the 9.7" seem to be some monolithic beast that is insanely cumbersome to commute with. The 9.7 is... in fact, a good size and weight to carry around. It may not be as good for quickly pulling out at a bus stop or walking down the street or something like that, but when you're sitting down and comfortable I'd much prefer the larger and better screen.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand other's points of view about the mini being ultra portable and generally better for portability, but its also a compromise that doesn't always make sense.

I've found I just can't find a situation in which pulling the Mini out makes more sense than when I already have my iPhone with me. I'd just pull the 9.7"er out. (iPad of course ) Like someone else said, reading on the iP5 is actually not a bad experience at all. The text is infinitely sharper and more readable than the Mini, even while the Mini is not bad for reading. I could never stand reading the Mini at the same text size as the iP5 for more than 5 minutes.
nStyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:50 PM   #24
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakphotos View Post
I remember the good old days getting my undergrad when I had to go to coffee shops for Internet access with my laptop.

After that experience using any of the iPads is a joy. That being said, I much prefer the mobility of the mini now that I have one. Everyone refers to it as my "kindle" since I have it in a folio case.
I literally would have KILLED for that opportunity while in undergrad. My portable device was a dumb terminal I rented from the computer center which was essentially a 12" monitor and a phone cradle/300 baud modem. I COULD have taken it Starbucks IF:

Starbucks existed and,

I had a sufficiently long phone cord.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:13 PM   #25
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Don't have a mini but I never had a problem bringing my 2 and using it in public.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad