Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I tried Calvetica and Agenda, but with the larger screen on the iPhone 5, I came back to the stock calendar app. The lack of the date on the 3rd party app icons always bugged me, and I hate the date being displayed by a badge.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
What do you think is the best calendar app for the iphone?

It depends what features you're looking for. I use Week Calendar and like it alot.

I tried Calvetica and Agenda, but with the larger screen on the iPhone 5, I came back to the stock calendar app. The lack of the date on the 3rd party app icons always bugged me, and I hate the date being displayed by a badge.

The lack of date bugged me too, but I got used to it since the lack of features on the stock app bugged me more.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
What do you think is the best calendar app for the iphone?

I am none too impressed with Agenda and Calvetica, but as a fan of Fantastical on OS X, upcoming Fantastical for iPhone sounds very promising to me.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Own it and need to look more into how to utilize it.
Agenda isn't a bad calendar as well.

What I'm waiting for though is the iOS version of Fantastical. It should be nice as well.

Even going back to my Pocket PC days, PI was always (and still is) bloated and laggy.

I was a fan of TapCal but the dev has seem to have forgotten that there's a larger screen iPhone available.

Now I have standardized on Agenda, a pretty good calendar app with awesome reminder integration.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Another vote for Week Calendar. Back in the day, I used DateBk on PalmOS, and this is the closest I've come to that functionality on iOS.

Regards,
Tom

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Now I have standardized on Agenda, a pretty good calendar app with awesome reminder integration.

Can you expand a bit more on the reminder integration?

What I like about weekcal is the ability to add templates. I work varying shifts and need to be able to quickly set up my work schedule (company doesn't provide a .ics :rolleyes:)

On the more aesthetic route I do like Week Calendar's ability to Auto Colors and Auto icons (great for denoting sporting events with emoji) which I use now often since all it requires is text of your choosing to be in the event.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Can you expand a bit more on the reminder integration?

You can add/modify/complete native reminders inside the Agenda app. Reminders will show in the calendar itself. Apple opened up the reminder API so other apps can use the functionality. That means you can access your reminders via Agenda, the reminders app, or Siri.

Not really a fan of Week calendar. I find the UI less than appealing compared to some other apps.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
You can add/modify/complete native reminders inside the Agenda app. Reminders will show in the calendar itself. Apple opened up the reminder API so other apps can use the functionality. That means you can access your reminders via Agenda, the reminders app, or Siri.

Not really a fan of Week calendar. I find the UI less than appealing compared to some other apps.

The Status Taps feature looks somewhat interesting in Agenda. Do you use them?

Thank you for the additional information. Choosing a calendar app is worse than choosing a car. But the process at least lets you know what features you prefer and how they help tame our busy lives.

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
I'm using the stock Calendar app but sync with google calendar, does not have many features but good enough for me

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
been pretty happy with calvetica. once you learn all the shortcuts and taps, it's pretty cool...

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Calendars by Readdle is the best calendar app I've found for the iPad.

Week Calendar and Calendars by Readdle are both excellent on the iPhone. I used Week Calendar on the 4S, but I prefer Calendars by Readdle on the IP5 (the UI is more polished on the larger screen), especially now that I am sharing more calendars between friends, family, and co-workers.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
been pretty happy with calvetica. once you learn all the shortcuts and taps, it's pretty cool...

I have tried Calvetica several times and I just can't get into using it. Primarily the multiple-screen input for new events and the tasks being on a separate tab than the calendar keep me away.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
I have tried Calvetica several times and I just can't get into using it. Primarily the multiple-screen input for new events and the tasks being on a separate tab than the calendar keep me away.

i understand...it's not your usual apple-esque input GUI...i almost gave up on it, too...but i quite like it now. ymmv, obviously...

fjpoblam

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2009
Still trying to decide: Readdle Calendars+ is quirky

I'm hesitant to lay out $10 for Fantastical. The native app has two advantages. One is the icon, of course: large display of day and date. Another, more important, is accuracy. I have a date in one calendar, “Cinco de Mayo”. I have, in another, “John F. Kennedy’s Birthday”. If I turn on both these calendars in Readdle, I get duplication of some “holidays” (e.g., “Tax Day” and “Mothers Day”). And of course, if I turn off one, I miss some events from the other. This problem doesn’t occur in the native app. Identical selections by “calendar name”. I dunno. Unfortunately, the native app renders calendars in drab colors instead of the bright colors defined in Google and OSX. Grr...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'm hesitant to lay out $10 for Fantastical. The native app has two advantages. One is the icon, of course: large display of day and date. Another, more important, is accuracy. I have a date in one calendar, “Cinco de Mayo”. I have, in another, “John F. Kennedy’s Birthday”. If I turn on both these calendars in Readdle, I get duplication of some “holidays” (e.g., “Tax Day” and “Mothers Day”). And of course, if I turn off one, I miss some events from the other. This problem doesn’t occur in the native app. Identical selections by “calendar name”. I dunno. Unfortunately, the native app renders calendars in drab colors instead of the bright colors defined in Google and OSX. Grr...

I just bought Fantastical a few weeks ago. It obeys the colors.

Any reason you have holidays in multiple calendars?

Lightning Bolt

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2013
Windy City Suburb
I'm looking for an iPhone calendar app that does the following:

Syncs with iPad or MacBook using Wi-Fi

Shows (within the day box of "month view"), the actual text description & times

I don't like how iCal (on the iPhone) only shows dots for events in the month view and I prefer to have my backups & syncing done locally instead of in a cloud.

Thanks for any input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.