Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:56 AM   #1
WigWag Workshop
macrumors member

Extract pictures from a DVD slideshow

Good Day Folks!

Hope this is the right place to post. My brother took the time, to scan in over 3 gigabytes of old slides, he then created a slideshow with the pictures so it would play in a regular DVD player. That works fine, but the problem is, his HDD failed, and he did not have a backup of the original pictures. I have a copy of the DVD, is there a way to extract all the pictures to iPhoto or my HDD? I am really hoping he will not have to re-scan all the slides. I thought I had taught him, the importance of doing backups, but I guess he didn't listen

Thanks in Advance,

-Steven
WigWag Workshop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Knoodles
macrumors 6502

It depends on how the DVD was produced. It could be just a slideshow converted to a movie file converted to a DVD. It could be a photo DVD. Or it could be a hybrid of both. Some DVD burning software allows you to include a copy of the original pictures on the disc. They will be in a separate folder on the DVD.
Insert the DVD and double click its icon on the desktop. If the open window only contains a video ts and audio folder then its a movie. If there are other folders then look in them and see if they contain the jpg or other format photo files.
There is also software that can extract frames from a movie and save them as pictures.
Knoodles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:46 PM   #3
WigWag Workshop
macrumors member

All I see is a TS folder and VOB files :-( What software can extract the pictures from VOB files? Anything under $60 would be great
WigWag Workshop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Knoodles
macrumors 6502

IIRC VLC can do it and it's free.
Knoodles is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help