Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Hello, I'm new! But thanks for reading this!

Having a prob with my drive I think but am not sure.

I have a PB G4 older version, with a Matshita DVD-R UJ-815 which I seem to be able to use to burn music CDs from iTunes, but cannot backup data on CDs because of errors with the media apparently. I have tried 4 diff types of disc (infinity, verbatim, Mr Data, TDK) and none seem to work.

At first I thoght it was a problem with Toast, but the same happened by just dragging to a new CD and copying from there.

Any suggestions would be greatfully received!!
Thanks,
Sail

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
You've probably thought of this already, but is it possible you didn't choose "Data" in Toast? I seem to remember (not in front of a Mac right now) that Toast lets you choose from data, audio, DVD, and something else. If you don't choose the correct category, you can't get anything going.

Edit: Sorry, misunderstood - thought you were trying to burn data.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Easier way, create a new burn folder in Finder. Then add the folders you wish to backup. If this is music from iTunes, go into the iTunes folder by, Music tab in Finder source window > iTunes > iTunes Music.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
You could try repairing permissions then try burning a data CDR.

Is the drive reading DVD's and CD's alright?

I would try a CD lens cleaner on the drive, especially if it is not reading your disks properly.

sail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Thanks everyone!

I have tried a couple of these solutions but nothing - just cleaned my drive so will see what that brings.

Thanks again...!

Sail

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
sail said:
Thanks everyone!

I have tried a couple of these solutions but nothing - just cleaned my drive so will see what that brings.

Thanks again...!

Sail

I not sure if this is a feasible idea, but worth a shot :)

Create a new user account and burn in that user account to see if it works and to help tackle the problem. Like I said its worth a shot.

sail

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Hi - thanks to everyone for feedback.

Seems to work by burning from Finder and after I reset the burn speed to Maximum - I thought a lower 2x or 1x would be the solution but apparently not.

Thanks again!

Sail

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.