Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Aaron Sorkin, screenwriter of the movie based on Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography, has shared some details behind the structure of the upcoming film.

NewImage21.png

Speaking from The Daily Beast's Hero Summit, Sorkin disclosed that the entire movie "is going to be 3 scenes, and take place in real-time." Further, each of the three 30-minute scenes will take place backstage before a major product launch.

Sorkin has previously noted that biography screenwriters frequently have difficulty overcoming a "cradle-to-grave structure".
"Drama is tension versus obstacle. Someone wants something, something is standing in their way of getting it. They want the money, they want the girl, they want to get to Philadelphia - doesn't matter ... And I need to find that event and I will. I just don't know what it is," Sorkin said.
With the movie laid out in this real-time format, Sorkin seems to have written a rather unique film. It seems likely that the three major product releases that Sorkin is referring to will be the original Macintosh in 1984, the iMac in 1998, and the iPhone in 2007.

Update: According to Baba Shetty, the CEO of Newsweek, Sorkin mentioned the launches of the original Mac, the NeXT cube, and the iPod.

Update 2: The Daily Beast has posted the video of Sorkin's interview, with the Steve Jobs segment beginning around 22:30 and continuing through the end.

Article Link: Aaron Sorkin's Steve Jobs Biopic: Three 30-Minute Scenes Taking Place Before Three Product Launches

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd be interested to see if there is some real excitement from Jobs prior to product launches. I venture to guess there is and it will be genuine.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
"Drama is tension versus obstacle ... I need to find that event and I will. I just don't know what it is" - Sorkin

Sounds like the making of a classic. :rolleyes:

*EDIT*
Failed attempt at sarcasm there.
I really think Sorkin will do well, but his statement struck me as funny. It's as though he were saying, "Here's what makes a good movie; however, I haven't found those elements in this project yet".

Last edited:

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Why those three? (Just curious). Another post I saw mentioned a NeXT event as being one the three. Did he say which three or is everyone just guessing?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Sounds good to me.

As much as I love Jobs, face it, he's not George Washington or some big war hero.

People want to see a movie about Jobs because of what he did at Apple. Makes sense to structure the move in such a way that the company is as much a character as he is.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I actually really like this idea. The thought of getting a feeling for what Jobs was like before each of those major launches (without a doubt the most significant points in Jobs' career) is really intriguing. I have a feeling I'll enjoy seeing this, unless it's just really poorly done.

jW

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
I could see it if it entwines flashbacks or something. Otherwise, it seems rather dry.

But what do I know, everyone thought a movie about Facebook would be a dumb idea and it went on to be one of the best movies of the year. (And this is the guy that wrote it.)

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
I thought the idea of a Facebook movie was a joke. However, Sorkin wrote a fantastic screenplay, regardless of what you think of Facebook or the main players.

He's a brilliant writer. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he will write another wonderful screenplay.

Reading the comments I'm reminded of the "end-of-the-world" reaction to Apple's change to the current iTunes icon. I believe we survived and are beyond that overreaction. Let the movie come out before you pan it.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
That's not a biopic, it's a triopic.

Look, 2 hour biopics suck. You can't cram the story in there. If people really want a biopic, they'll read the book.

Last edited:

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
That sounds good to me. I really enjoyed The Social Network and was really pulled into it.

When is this movie supposed to premiere?

Oh I'm not sure.

I would just like to see a format like that. During some pinnacle time. Like when they were at an all time low and made a comeback with the iPod, iPhone, etc.

Somehow involve Bill Gates in it to make it more dramatic.

Social Network is a great movie. I had doubts about it as well like many others in here, but it was one of my fav movies that year.

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
I'm intrigued, mostly because I agree with Sorkin on the trouble with cradle-to-grave biopics. They only seem to work when the the character is fictional, like Forrest Gump or Jesus Christ.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
I know some people can’t see beyond his political affiliation, but Sorkin’s ability to craft exceptionally loquacious, eloquent and brutal rebukes should serve the Jobs persona well.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Good to see all of the writers and directors of MacRumors coming out to weigh in here. Sorkin clearly has no idea how to write good stories and produce great works.

oh.

ahegele

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
not sure where the apathy here comes from. Sorkin wrote an amazing story for Mark with The Social Network. There's a good chance a Steve Jobs pic would be just as good, as long as people expect it to be about a man and not a deity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.