Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:53 PM   #1
comatory
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Mac Pro wakes up during the night

Hello,
I tried to get answers in the general OS X forum but nobody helped. Maybe someone will here:

I have Mac Pro 4,1 and it wakes up from sleep during the night, like every two hours. It doesn't bother me much but since I sleep in the room also, it would be nice if it didnt happen. I am used to putting computer to sleep, not to shut it down (but even if I shut it down the computer power ups).

In this link is a log from console so maybe someone more technically savvy can help me out:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...354RHqGaQ/edit

I have Time Capsule set up with the machine and also Carbon Copy Cloner that does backup at 8:50 and 9:10 each day but it shouldn't happen during the night (I have the wake up feature disabled). Other than that, I'm not sure what could be the culprit.
I also upgraded my RAM from ECC kind to DDR3 kind which shouldn't cause any problems - at least I'm not having any during usage.

Can anyone see in the logs what's going on? Thanks

EDIT: I can see Wake reason: RTC (Alarm) showing up in logs but I have no alarm set for that time.
comatory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Einz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
You have "wake on Lan" enabled in Energy preference?
Einz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:59 PM   #3
designs216
macrumors 65816
 
designs216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rearranging deck chairs
Just give it a teaspoon of Benedryll to help it sleep through the night...
designs216 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:04 PM   #4
El Awesome
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Quote:
Originally Posted by comatory View Post
I am used to putting computer to sleep, not to shut it down (but even if I shut it down the computer power ups).
Do I understand you correctly, you are saying that even if you completely shut down the machine, it boots up?

I would simply reinstall OS X, if that doesen't help try creating a new user.

Or simply shut down the machine, and then unplug the power cable. If it still powers up at night, I would call ghostbusters then
__________________
Hackintosh 3.5Ghz i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, eVGA GTX 680 2048 MB SuperClocked, Samsung 830 128GB SSD
MacBook Pro Late '08 2.8 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9400M & 9600M GT
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:14 PM   #5
DanielCoffey
macrumors 65816
 
DanielCoffey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edinburgh, UK
I had this problem myself with my 5,1 waking from Sleep during the night (it did it during the day too but there were fewer distractions at night so I noticed it more).

The culprit is almost certainly the Wake on LAN setting being ticked.

There is, however, a good reason for the setting being left on. It is an integral part of the Find My Mac tool.

There is something called the Bonjour Sleep Proxy (is that roughly correct, folks?) which part-wakes the machine at regular intervals to check if there are any instructions or messages for it. In the case of a Laptop, you would barely notice but with a Mac Pro, the power supply clicks on, the fans spin up and the hard drives too. The monitor, however, stays off. About ten seconds later (longer depending on how long it takes for your router to grant a net connection), the machine clicks off again and goes back to sleep.

Till the next time.

----------

Hmm... having read your post again you say you have Wake On LAN turned off. That is odd.

In my case it was clearly related to the Wake On LAN and the Bonjour server. The RTS Clock alarm message was the same too.

See my thread here : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1416544
DanielCoffey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Spacedust
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Poland
Mine does the same too on BootCamp, but I got WOL disabled. Any ideas ?
__________________
MP2009, 2x2.93 GHz/64 GB RAM/GTX680/128 GB+4x64 GB SSD RAID0/ARC-1680IX-24-4G+BBU/RME HDSPe AIO/BD-RE/ACD 23"/TC 3TB
iPhone 5 16GB white
Spacedust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:15 PM   #7
DanielCoffey
macrumors 65816
 
DanielCoffey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Well I would assume Wake on LAN would be only obeyed on the OS X side so in Bootcamp there will be some other setting to do with Bonjour.
DanielCoffey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:07 PM   #8
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
Mine does the same too on BootCamp, but I got WOL disabled. Any ideas ?
Maybe your cat jumped on the desk, disturbing the keyboard or mouse?
ActionableMango is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:16 PM   #9
comatory
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Sorry I forgot: WakeOnLan is turned on. Will try to turn it off but honestly Id rather leave it turned on because of Find My Mac.
comatory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:21 PM   #10
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601
 
OrangeSVTguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northeastern Ohio
If it powers on when shut down. Do you have "Startup after power failure" checked? I don't know if that would do it but that's a thought.
__________________
Browsing the forums from my Powerbook G4
OrangeSVTguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:44 PM   #11
darkcoupon
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
There is something called the Bonjour Sleep Proxy (is that roughly correct, folks?) which part-wakes the machine at regular intervals to check if there are any instructions or messages for it. In the case of a Laptop, you would barely notice but with a Mac Pro, the power supply clicks on, the fans spin up and the hard drives too. The monitor, however, stays off. About ten seconds later (longer depending on how long it takes for your router to grant a net connection), the machine clicks off again and goes back to sleep.
Thank you! This exact thing has been happening to my 4,1 on the rare occasions that I leave it turned on overnight. It's never bothered me but I've always been curious as to what it's doing.
darkcoupon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:59 AM   #12
ibarnett
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Do you have any USB peripherals plugged in?
I had this problem with a UPS monitor plugged in to USB.
ibarnett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:20 AM   #13
DanielCoffey
macrumors 65816
 
DanielCoffey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edinburgh, UK
If you get a power issue in the night and the UPS goes to battery, then yes the machine will wake fully because the UPS is reporting the power loss. That is the same as plugging in or unplugging a UPS device on a sleeping Mac.

Comatory is having the Bonjour Sleep Proxy wake up issue. At least he knows what the cause is now and can make an informed decision whether to turn off the Wake on LAN setting or not.
DanielCoffey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:33 AM   #14
comatory
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Thanks so much everyone. I do not have "Startup after power failure" checked on so that shouldn't be an issue but I do use UPS with battery.

I will see today if the WakeOnLan turned off works. I find it very strange that the computer even powers up. I'll look into Bonjour Server issue as it seems that this is probably it.

EDIT: I do use Time Capsule for back up reasons - it really seems like that Bonjour issue. The thing is - can this be solved somehow when I want to have Wake On Lan turned on? Like some setting in Time Capsule to turn off registering for certain machines? Or is this "Bonjour Server" mandatory for Wake On Lan to work?
comatory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:19 AM   #15
El Awesome
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
I usually shut the Mac down completely when I go to sleep because I have my bed in the same room as the Mac, but yesterday I came home wasted and totally forgt that the MP is still running. I was half-sleeping when I suddendly heard the clicking noise of the PSU folled by the fans, and then my Cinema Display lightened up the whole room. 5 secs afterwards, the whole thing went to sleep again. I got up and checked what the machine did, apparently nothing, had some apps like Firefox and console open, and also no Time Machine, so I checked the console what it reported. It said Wake Reason: Alarm (a screenshot of the console is attached).

What was that? I have this Bonjour proxy enabled, but form what I read this shouldn't activate my display when the machine wakes up. I don't have anything in my calendar, and no alarm set...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2012-11-25 um 03.04.30.png
Views:	28
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	379588  
__________________
Hackintosh 3.5Ghz i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, eVGA GTX 680 2048 MB SuperClocked, Samsung 830 128GB SSD
MacBook Pro Late '08 2.8 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9400M & 9600M GT
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:27 AM   #16
666sheep
macrumors 68030
 
666sheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Poland
^^^It's Bonjour sleep proxy. Wake reason RTC is the key. Why it's waking up your display then? My guess will be your graphics card which is, gently speaking, non standard one. Test it with other card you have, or turn off this feature if it bothers you.
666sheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:41 AM   #17
DanielCoffey
macrumors 65816
 
DanielCoffey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Since you have a non-Apple card, it will be waking up with the machine. My Apple 5870 stays dark when Bonjour wakes the machine up.

If you do not need the functionality made available by the Bonjour service (such as Find My Mac and Wake on LAN), then simply turn off the Wake on Network and you are done.
DanielCoffey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:12 PM   #18
xav8tor
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
Since you have a non-Apple card, it will be waking up with the machine. My Apple 5870 stays dark when Bonjour wakes the machine up.

If you do not need the functionality made available by the Bonjour service (such as Find My Mac and Wake on LAN), then simply turn off the Wake on Network and you are done.
That's not it, for mine anyway. Before I upgraded my 4.1 to 5.1 and added a 3690, I had the stock 4870 and wake on LAN disabled. Nevertheless, about once an hour, the thing would wake, run for ten seconds or so, and shut down. I have multiple USB devices plugged in, but most are off and others are passive. And no, it wasn't a cat walking across the trackpad or chasing the mouse either. However, since upgrading to a GTX 670, I haven't seen the wake again and don't recall changing any other settings, unplugging any other devices, etc. I have swapped a few HD's for SSD's though. Also, these sporadic wakes were on 10.6.8. I'm now on 10.8.2. Never did install 10.7.
xav8tor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:16 PM   #19
El Awesome
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
Since you have a non-Apple card, it will be waking up with the machine. My Apple 5870 stays dark when Bonjour wakes the machine up.

If you do not need the functionality made available by the Bonjour service (such as Find My Mac and Wake on LAN), then simply turn off the Wake on Network and you are done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666sheep View Post
^^^It's Bonjour sleep proxy. Wake reason RTC is the key. Why it's waking up your display then? My guess will be your graphics card which is, gently speaking, non standard one. Test it with other card you have, or turn off this feature if it bothers you.
You guys could be actually right, because I have this issue that when only the monitor goes to sleep, it either goes blank white or keeps the desktop, but it refuses to simply turn black. That may be it.
I really didn't thought of that.. maybe because it was 4 am in the morning...
__________________
Hackintosh 3.5Ghz i7 3770k, 32 GB RAM, eVGA GTX 680 2048 MB SuperClocked, Samsung 830 128GB SSD
MacBook Pro Late '08 2.8 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9400M & 9600M GT
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC