Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Sep 13, 2005, 07:18 AM   #1
macOSX-tastic
macrumors 6502a

copy + paste keyboard shortcuts in OS X

is there any way to have copy and paste keyboard shortcuts like those in windows in OSX?

such as Ctrl+c to copy,
and Ctrl+V to paste text.

this is one thing i miss about windows, as i got into the habits! [/blasphemy]!!!!!

its very frustrating to not have this convinience anymore, as there seems to be no obvious universal alternative. i know this is a complete newbie question from an intermediate mac user who knows OSX well, but i do miss these keyboard shortcuts, especially when i want to copy URL's inot Adium and messenger windows.

thanks

tastic

PowerBook G4 15"
My photos on Jetphotos.net - more added regularly!
Name that animal in my 'tar!
macOSX-tastic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 07:23 AM   #2
swindmill
macrumors 6502a

edit
Old Sep 13, 2005, 07:23 AM   #3
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Tons of shortcuts here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459
Old Sep 13, 2005, 07:36 AM   #4
Applespider
macrumors 603

Try using most of those you're used to on Windows but with a Command (Apple) rather than control.

Command X - Cut
Command C - Copy
Command V - Paste

I learned to do on the Mac long before I used a Windows PC regularly. I think it's one reason why I still tend to use keyboard shortcuts over the mouse.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 08:03 AM   #5
whocares
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macOSX-tastic
its very frustrating to not have this convinience anymore, as there seems to be no obvious universal alternative.
<needs confirmation>
I think keyboard shortcuts for copy paste and cut were first found on Macs, and then later on Windows
</needs confirmation>

As a general rule (to which there are many exceptions ), shortcuts on Macs are of the form Command + key. Like alt+tab maps to Cmd+tab, and alt+F4 maps to Cmd+Q (much more logical; it quits the application, not just the window. the window is closed with Cmd+w) etc...

(Command refers to the key with an Apple on it , and option to the key with either option (duh!) OR alt (non-us keyboards) on it)
whocares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 08:19 AM   #6
macOSX-tastic
macrumors 6502a

hey you guys,

thanks a lot, seems to work now...i guess i should fiddle more.

tastic

PowerBook G4 15"
Old Sep 13, 2005, 08:49 AM   #7
ahunter3
macrumors 6502

Damn! I never thought I'd see the day when people thought the cut, copy, paste keyboard commands were mostly a PC thing, and said "Gee it would be nice if the Mac would do that too!"

Macs had Command-X for Cut, Command-C for Copy, Command-V for Paste (and Command-Z for Undo, Command-Q for Quit, Command-P for Print, Command-O for Open, Command-W for Close Window, Command-S for Save, etc etc etc) back when a PC screen looked like this when you booted it:

A:\

(except against a black background) and PC programs and OS didn't have consistent keyboard commands of any sort. If you wanted to copy text in WordPerfect, you would go Alt (pause for menus to appear, menus were usually hidden), E (for edit menu), C (for copy). If you wanted to copy some cells from Lotus 123, you would go forward-slash (to make menus appear, menus were hidden in Lotus also), C for Copy, and then, after issuing the copy command, you would indicate what it was you wanted to copy (instead of making your selection first). Many programs apparently did not bother to incorporate "copy", "cut" or "paste": DBaseIII doesn't seem to have any method of inputting data aside from typing it, or placing it elsewhere short of exporting to some other file format.

kids these days....

::folds up AARP journal and wanders off in search of the Geritol bottle::

Last edited by ahunter3; Sep 13, 2005 at 08:51 AM.
ahunter3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 08:55 AM   #8
ebow
macrumors 6502a

Also, when you're looking at the commands available in menus, a lot of them will have key combinations to the right in the form of Command Symbol [clover thing] + Letter. You can learn a lot of keyboard shortcuts that way.
ebow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 09:01 AM   #9
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahunter3
kids these days....

Damn straight! Know-it-alls, no respect for their elders. They ought to be smacked with a stack of punch-cards.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 09:26 AM   #10
ebow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If you wanted to copy text in WordPerfect, you would go Alt (pause for menus to appear, menus were usually hidden), E (for edit menu), C (for copy).
Menu?? Back when I was a kid we didn't have menus in WordPerect (5.1). Or more accurately, we didn't use menus for several years, since my dad was the one who taught the program to us and he didn't use them. We dreamed of something like Alt, E, C. We'd have to hit F12 or Alt-F4 to enter Block mode, select the text, then hit Ctrl-F4 to move the text, and then... something else. I don't remember. It's all a vague set of memories, supported by information from this site. I do recall the Escape key not canceling but bringing up a baffling Repeat prompt. Those were the days...
ebow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 09:50 AM   #11
macOSX-tastic
macrumors 6502a

lol, i got mixed up with a few keys thats all. i know that a system as smart as OSX would no doubt have these features, so i persevered to find them!!!

i know the names of all the command keys, i was just not familiar with their operation!

tastic

PowerBook G4 15"
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:10 AM   #12
deputy_doofy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Damn! I never thought I'd see the day when people thought the cut, copy, paste keyboard commands were mostly a PC thing, and said "Gee it would be nice if the Mac would do that too!"

Macs had Command-X for Cut, Command-C for Copy, Command-V for Paste (and Command-Z for Undo, Command-Q for Quit, Command-P for Print, Command-O for Open, Command-W for Close Window, Command-S for Save, etc etc etc) back when a PC screen looked like this when you booted it:

A:\

(except against a black background) and PC programs and OS didn't have consistent keyboard commands of any sort. If you wanted to copy text in WordPerfect, you would go Alt (pause for menus to appear, menus were usually hidden), E (for edit menu), C (for copy). If you wanted to copy some cells from Lotus 123, you would go forward-slash (to make menus appear, menus were hidden in Lotus also), C for Copy, and then, after issuing the copy command, you would indicate what it was you wanted to copy (instead of making your selection first). Many programs apparently did not bother to incorporate "copy", "cut" or "paste": DBaseIII doesn't seem to have any method of inputting data aside from typing it, or placing it elsewhere short of exporting to some other file format.

kids these days....

Not to knock anyone, but it really IS amazing how much PC people DON'T know about Mac.
Mac had the copy, cut, and paste features first. It was ALWAYS command-x (cut), command-c (copy), and command-v (paste). It was Windows (3.1) that had these features, but used control-insert, control-delete, and something else (if memory serves me correctly).
It wasn't until Windows 95 that MS blatantly copied the Mac OS by having a "control panel" and numerous keyboatrd short-cuts that were the same as Apple, except they used Control instead of Command.
Yes, I realize I'm generalizing, but you get the idea.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:33 AM   #13
macOSX-tastic
macrumors 6502a

i guess it comes from that 95% marketshare of windows. most people are too ignorant to understand something like that, because the majority grow up with it in school, work, etc. im no mac veteran, but i cetaainly dont think apple copied windows!!

we currently have a couple of plumbers installing new radiators in our house...and naturally i work with my powerbook in the dining room most of the time. they came in and started knocking my mac, saying stuff like " it would be a joke to try playing [insert windows only game here] on that thing!" and looked at my mighty mouse and were fooled into thinking it was 1 button, thus: "oh my god! 1 button? how do you manage why the hell did you get a mac!?!?!" (scoff scoff scoff)

i replied to their first comment by saying "try using windows productively for at least 5 minutes! far more difficult. its for uni, not games."

their little battle with me ended, and they went on with their plumbing work

tastic

PowerBook G4 15"

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X