Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:42 PM   #1
DanteMann
Banned

Samsung and Android Dominating Hard

Who would have thought after only 3 years with their Galaxy S line, Samsung would be the one holding fort for Android by a massive margin. And now the World's largest smartphone vendor.

Source

Some say Samsung is the only profitable Android Vendor. With HTC struggling to stay relevant. Samsung is really given most of the credit for Android's growth.

Source

Last edited by DanteMann; Nov 15, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
DanteMann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Timzer
Banned

Those are some devastatingly crushing stats. Awesome, just Awesome. There is no doubt Samsung has a target on it's back.
Timzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:37 PM   #3
onthecouchagain
Banned

lulz at HTC. I don't know why, but I don't care for them. Maybe cause of their appalling battery life and they're obnoxious insistency on keeping that sleep/wake button on top of large devices. Gross.

What can we expect with the Galaxy S IV I wonder...

Also, aren't Samsung pushing bendable displays for late 2013? Exciting.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:42 PM   #4
3bs
macrumors 603

I did not expect HTC to be doing so badly.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:45 PM   #5
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

Wonders if BB10 will give RIM a boost or will they stay flat?
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:58 PM   #6
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
Yeah, what exactly happened? People adored them a year or two ago. Then, in 2012, they just spiraled out of control.

Personally, I still think the HTC One X is super overrated.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:04 AM   #7
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Yeah, what exactly happened? People adored them a year or two ago. Then, in 2012, they just spiraled out of control.

I think their weekly new phone release schedule really screwed them over in 2011.

I do have to say that the HTC Nexus one was my favourite nexus up until the 4.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:05 AM   #8
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

I believe most people would choose the iPhone over HTC latest phones that also don't include micro SD slot or removable battery. Plus Samsung has done an excellent job in advertising it's exclusive features. What does HTC have that other makes don't?
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:06 AM   #9
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Samsung is the only real successful Android company, and that's terrible. They're an awful company, in case you haven't heard of my hatred toward then.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:14 AM   #10
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a

Poor old HTC. Google should give them some love and give them the job of doing the next Nexus.
ReanimationN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:16 AM   #11
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post

Overrated in what sense? I love its design but I agree with you on the button being a bit of an issue on top.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:18 AM   #12
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
Samsung is the only real successful Android company, and that's terrible. They're an awful company, in case you haven't heard of my hatred toward then.
H.A.T.E.R.S. = Having Anger Towards Everyone Reaching Success

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:18 AM   #13
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
I believe most people would choose the iPhone over HTC latest phones that also don't include micro SD slot or removable battery. Plus Samsung has done an excellent job in advertising it's exclusive features. What does HTC have that other makes don't?
Yep everywhere I go I see ads for air browse or whatever it's called on the Note 2 and other features.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:19 AM   #14
F123D
macrumors 68040

Samsung has done a complete marketing blitz showcasing the S3 and Note II. I can't remember the last time I saw any marketing from HTC or LG.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:20 AM   #15
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Overrated in what sense? I love its design but I agree with you on the button being a bit of an issue on top.
Sense, the sleep/wake button on top, and the abysmal battery life.

People got so enamored by the design, and I agree the white one looks great, but the ergonomics of the phone were terrible. I always thought it felt clunky and weird in hands. I'm not sure why. Every time I held it, it rubbed m the wrong way. Also, I sort of hate Beats.

However, I think the 8X feels great in the hand (much better than the Nokias).
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:49 AM   #16
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReanimationN View Post
Poor old HTC. Google should give them some love and give them the job of doing the next Nexus.
Can't see that happening anymore since HTC settled with Apple. Don't think Google would want $8 of each Nexus phone sale going to Apple, let alone to have their Nexus device be under the terms of whatever agreement HTC and Apple reached.
Dolorian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:54 AM   #17
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
Can't see that happening anymore since HTC settled with Apple. Don't think Google would want $8 of each Nexus phone sale going to Apple, let alone to have their Nexus device be under the terms of whatever agreement HTC and Apple reached.
Yeah, that's very true. I guess that might be a manufacturer crossed off the list for the future. Although a lot of manufacturers are already paying MS royalties, maybe it wouldn't be a factor.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:13 AM   #18
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
In an interesting twist on that theory, it could be one android phone that Apple couldn't sue over.

Next revision of android on new HTC nexus, immune from Apple lawsuit fun!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:19 AM   #19
matttye
macrumors 601

Samsung are coming out with some pretty innovative stuff, so I'm not surprised!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:15 AM   #20
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
Yes, you certainly make sure everyone knows of your hatred towards a company.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
Samsung are coming out with some pretty innovative stuff, so I'm not surprised!
That and they also spent a LOT of money on marketing the GS3.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:17 AM   #21
Nabooly
macrumors 6502a

I think a part of it has to do with brand recognition. Samsung makes hundreds of different products from microwaves to TVs and so on. HTC has nothing but phones (at least nothing that I'm aware of). Samsung is a hugely popular international company, it's hard to rival them. Coupled with these great looking and performing phones, they did a great job tackling a tough industry. I hope they continue to do well, maybe that will kick apple into gear.
Nabooly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:19 AM   #22
BoxerGT2.5
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I do. They are apple of the android world. Minor spec bumps along the way but nothing innovative. Plus the battery life on their devices is absolutely horrid.
BoxerGT2.5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:24 AM   #23
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerGT2.5 View Post
I do. They are apple of the android world. Minor spec bumps along the way but nothing innovative. Plus the battery life on their devices is absolutely horrid.
I'm not sure about this but last I heard HTC released a patch which greatly improved the ONE X's battery life.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:54 AM   #24
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

I wish Motorola was doing better. They had some great designs on their phones that can set them apart. They also seem to be one of the only Android OEMs that put together kits of different materials than your standard plastic/polycarbonate Android devices. My Droid X was made out of Rubberized Aluminum.

That and they also ship vanilla Android with Carrier Bloat.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:46 PM   #25
theluggage
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Samsung has done a complete marketing blitz showcasing the S3 and Note II. I can't remember the last time I saw any marketing from HTC or LG.
They've been running TV ads here in the UK.

The Samsung ads tell me that, with a Note, I can use the pen to write stuff on the screen.

The HTC ads tell me that, with an HTC, some fashion photographer used one to do a photo shoot while skydiving.

Hmm. Which is the more plausible claim and which would the typical punter find more useful...?
theluggage is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices