Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:14 PM   #101
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by srxtr View Post
I hate that word. Imminent
You're right! Braodband suppliers would have to address this situation several years in advance. It would take them that long to build needed infrastructure.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:20 PM   #102
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot24 View Post
Apple left a rather large hole in their release schedule when they moved iPads to Fall (assuming they keep a yearly release cycle from here on out).

Old Schedule:
Spring: iPads
Summer: Macs
Fall: iPhone

New Schedule:
Spring: ?
Summer: OS X & Devices
Fall: iOS & Devices

Given the current state of product updates, what are they going to release in the Spring?

<Queue rampant speculation>
Exactly. That's the first thing I though during the iPad mini event, when so many other product updates were announced. What's left to announce this spring?

It's possible that Apple could spruce up the cosmetics of the iPad (4th-gen) to match the iPhone 5 and iPad mini this spring. (Chamfered polished front edge, black/slate and white/silver color options.) And maybe there will finally be a new Mac Pro.

But that's certainly not enough to justify a media event of its own. And I can't imagine Apple not having some kind of media event this spring. The tech media and tech fans have been trained to expect a spring event over the past few years.

If Apple is really about to release some new TV-related product, they've done a great job of clearing next year's CY Q1 announcement schedule for it. Who knows?
SockRolid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:22 PM   #103
smoledman
macrumors 65816

Apple will come out with 2 sizes(36" and 42") that will address 85-90% of the market needs.
smoledman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:25 PM   #104
Hakone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
Apple will come out with 2 sizes(36" and 42") that will address 85-90% of the market needs.
And people will come out and cry foul and ask why not 55" or 65"? And the same people will probably ask why it's not retina.
Hakone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:31 PM   #105
babyj
macrumors 6502a

I find this story hard to believe and would guess it's just an analyst trying to talk up the Apple stock price again.

Major network providers will always have contingency plans for increased bandwidth requirements. The actual impact of even a new game changing Apple product would be minimal when viewed against existing bandwidth usage. Most of the bandwidth would be covered by Apple's cdn providers (eg Akamai) so it would probably only be the final leg that would be a concern to others.

Maybe someone at a major provider performed a what if scenario and someone got hold of it and turned it in to something it isn't.
babyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:32 PM   #106
TallManNY
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmonger View Post
I completely agree!!! Just add to that, the ability to start something on the TV and continue on an iDevice no matter where I am. Plus add the ability to pay less to watch a particular sports team, not be forced to pay to watch the entire league.
Guys, please come up with business models in which you pay more not less. That is what business are looking for, not these pie in the sky cut the cable pay $5 a month and get everything I want whenever I want plans.

I want to be able to watch live sports as well on my tv, computer and iOS devices. The frustrating thing is that I can't pay for that even if I wanted to.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:35 PM   #107
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a

I don't think the so called "imminent" apple TV product is going to come out any time soon, if ever. I don't think Apple will ever be able to strike a deal with content providers that both sides are happy with, after the way iTunes destroyed the music industry
george-brooks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:43 PM   #108
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Sensei View Post
Can somebody please mock-up a less crappy looking television? It looks like a cheap Korean knock-off. A site dedicated to Apple products should be embarrassed to have that on it's front page.
It's not the fault of MacRumors, it's taken from another site that's dedicated to Apple products.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:56 PM   #109
mikeschr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyonice View Post
I want time shifting.

I want to pay a couple bucks per month for an ESPN "app" and a couple others, through my Apple ID. I then want to watch the content live or on-demand, my choice. None of those "package deals" crap. I don't need to pay for 300+ channels I don't watch.

This is the future. Hopefully Apple brings it.
If you think you're only going to pay a couple of bucks per channel, I'd like some of whatever you're smoking.
Without bundling, 10 channels will cost the same as what you're paying now for 300. When the subscribers to each channel drop to maybe 5% of what they are now, you think the cost per channel is going to be the same?
mikeschr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:09 PM   #110
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

How about just make a DVR on the existing subscription and channel and VOD model? Just an interface and hardware that actually freaking WORKS. Not like the Moto and Sci Atlanta crap that's out there now.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:33 PM   #111
rodparker
macrumors newbie

I agree totally with ziggyonice. Apple revolutionized the way we buy music so they can do the same with TV. Bring it on. Soon Tim. Please.
rodparker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:38 PM   #112
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
iPhone - 13.9% of the smart phone market (Q3 numbers)
iPad - 60% (and falling fast)
OS/X - around 6% (Worldwide)
TV - 0%

Should content providers really care?
Consumers should, because someone, maybe Google, maybe Microsoft, maybe others, would come in and compete with Apple to fill in the other 80-90%. And that can only mean good things, just like the competition between iOS and Android.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:41 PM   #113
nsfw
macrumors regular

Why are people excited for this? Isn't this like having a DivX player built into your TV?

Why did I mention Divx? Because its now obsolete. And your 2013 Apple TV will have some janky hardware that will become obsolete by 2015. Do you really want to start buying a new TV every two years like you started doing with computers and tablets?

Is it so freakin hard to bolt on a $99 hockey puck to your TV? Is pressing input a couple times to switch tunes really hard?

I'd rather replace my ATV every two years than my whole TV.
Do I know what I'm talking about? Well, maybe not but I have had the last couple years of Panasonic Viera TVs and each year Panasonic introduces some new features that make the previous years on-board Viera software almost obsolete.

Building all in ones is a terrible idea. If Apple has some field replaceable module then we can talk.
nsfw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:51 PM   #114
mcfmullen
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Not yet. There hasn't been enough leaking confirmation of negotiations between content providers. Apple needs a channel subscription model to really take tv shows and movies to the next level. Moving from a TV box to a TV alone won't be revolutionary at all.

I still don't think this will launch for at least 6 months.
I wholeheartedly disagree. TV a la carte is where the revolution is, not a channel model.
mcfmullen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:14 PM   #115
lk400
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I want time shifting.

I want to be able to watch any show I want. At anytime. Anywhere.

I don't want to have to subscribe to cable for this very reason television companies hate time shifting. They want you to watch TV on their schedule.

I want to subscribe to channels on an a la carte basis. I want to pay a couple bucks per month for an ESPN "app" and a couple others, through my Apple ID. I then want to watch the content live or on-demand, my choice. None of those "package deals" crap. I don't need to pay for 300+ channels I don't watch.

I want money for nothing and chicks for free
lk400 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:34 PM   #116
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816

The article says it old be either but what are you are dying about Apple making a TV is just what they said about Apple making MP 3 players, tablets, and smartphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth.Titan View Post
This again? I believe Steve made the comment about "cracking" the TV just to troll everyone after he checked out.

Apple making a TV just doesn't make sense. An add-on box like AppleTV? Sure. An actual television set? Not so much. There's no way Apple could compete in the current television market with the thin margins, variety of models, and price points. If Apple tries to get into the TV game, I believe that it will be one of their occasional missteps.

I'm fully prepared to be proven wrong, but I'll believe it when I see it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
It's not the fault of MacRumors, it's taken from another site that's dedicated to Apple products.
Nobody forced them to post it.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:45 PM   #117
ipedro
macrumors 68020

My bet is on:

1) New AppleTV 4 box with built in digital cable decoder and DVR.
- Cable companies offer it as an option free to their subscribers for a 2 year term contract or $99 at the Apple Store on no contract.
- Cable companies continue to sell channel packages, Apple takes over the interface and gets to sell iTunes content.

2) New Thunderbolt display with AppleTV built in: 27" + 42" + 52" ($999/$1499/$1999).

3) iMac update with AppleTV built in (Fall 2013).
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:00 PM   #118
BJ.SoundWave360
macrumors newbie

not so sure

This "imminent" stuff doesn't make sense. Just because they are planning ahead, it could be they are planning and studying WAY ahead. Which they of course would.
BJ.SoundWave360 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:13 PM   #119
TableSyrup
macrumors 6502

just a little info that relates to this story

Comcast has new 'Smart' boxes coming very soon - ie, Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, etc etc

Stands to reason that they will need to beef up their infrastructure to handle the increased usage

I wish "Cable" would die already.

I'd be happy to pay a higher price for Netflix and Hulu if they had a much larger, more current selection. I'm confident that is where the market is going, and I can't wait. I HATE COMCAST but it is the best solution for any form of 'television' and internet in my area

I would love to simply pay for my internet, and then buy my other services from other providers. This old 'Cable' and 'Satellite' model is a dinosaur... there are much better solutions now - but the 'internet' infrastructure is gonna have to get beefed up a ton to handle it when 'everyone' is using it
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:29 PM   #120
cuencap
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddehr026 View Post
I would pay a hefty premium for a device that accomplished this. Period.
I predict an Apple TV App Store. Games, channels + everything the current Apple TV already has. You thought $99 was cheap for the Apple TV? They can do all of the above in the current configuration...it's simply a software update away!
cuencap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:33 PM   #121
tdar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis Fashion View Post
Unless APPL kills the bundle, I don't care.
I want my 6 subscription channels.
I do not want to pay for all the other crap.
And there is no way you would ever be willing to pay what those 6 channels would charge to provide themselves to you at the full true cost of them doing so.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:43 PM   #122
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
I want time shifting.

I want to be able to watch any show I want. At anytime. Anywhere.

I don't want to have to subscribe to cable for this very reason television companies hate time shifting. They want you to watch TV on their schedule.

I want to subscribe to channels on an a la carte basis. I want to pay a couple bucks per month for an ESPN "app" and a couple others, through my Apple ID. I then want to watch the content live or on-demand, my choice. None of those "package deals" crap. I don't need to pay for 300+ channels I don't watch.

What you want is what any thinking person wants. Of course this is the exact opposite of what the cable and satellite companies want. This is the future, however, it will be interesting to see how long it actually takes to arrive. The media providers are the ones that control the industry. Getting them to go along with the "plan" is where it gets a little muddy. I'm watching the show with both interest and with hope, but hope tempered by practicality.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:04 PM   #123
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
That's the only way the "new model" we want happens. For the "new model" to replace the existing one, the production companies and the existing middlemen who also pretty much own the broadband pipes through which a new Apple solution would have to flow must be shown how THEY are going to make MORE money... not less.

Currently, you could think of things as 3 players: production companies that make the shows, cable/satt that distribute the shows to us and us consumers. In the new model, there are still production companies that make the shows, Apple replaces the distributors and us consumers. However, Apple's solution depends on broadband pipes probably owned by existing distributors. Why will those distributors just roll over and let Apple have all of that revenue?

But beyond that, if the quality of the productions are to remain as high as they are now (which I know is subjective in and of itself), it's still a problem of showing the production companies how they are going to make MORE money than they make now. If the "new model" is just those production companies + Apple + us, who is going to cough up the money to make up the difference of what's lost in the transition? It would only be Apple and us in the new model?

Is Apple going to spend it's war chest to subsidize the costs of productions so that the Studios make more money while we pay only a "few dollars per month"? I think not. Who's left then? Either we will have to pay a handsome premium over what we pay now OR the production companies have to take the hit so we can pay our desired "few dollars a month". So either the quality and diversity of programming gets cut in a big way or we have to cough up the difference.

Many of us dreamers think the "new model" might yield a new bill of something like $10 or $20/month "for just the channels or shows that I want to watch". But if you refer back to my previous post, just the commercials subsidy alone is $54/month per household. If the "new model" kills off the commercials (including all those we don't see and all those that run on those "hundreds of channels I never watch"), someone has to make up for that revenue or the quality of production it pays for must come down.

Yes, there's plenty of junk on television that "I" never watch. By my "junk" is someone else's favorite show. And the junk that the vast majority of us never watch on those hundreds of channels we never watch is still generating subsidies via the commercials that run on those channels that goes into a pool that helps pay for the great(?) stuff that "I" do like to watch.

In short, a "new model" and us paying "about 10% of what I pay now" are incompatible concepts. Either we consumers pay up big or something more like the existing model wins. Thinking Apple can somehow pull it off is- IMO- extraordinarily wishful thinking.
Unfortunately, you are right. It will be interesting to see what Apple will offer. Whatever it is, it will be far less than what people's expectations are. It will be a step in the right direction I would think. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised, but again we shall see.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:40 PM   #124
iOsDroid
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by izyreal View Post
My favorite rumor surfaces once more!!! Now I have to start looking into home equity loans again... just in case I need to be able to afford to pay for an Apple TV.
well that's pathetic[COLOR="#808080"]
iOsDroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:43 PM   #125
xVeinx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScott428 View Post
^^^This. What the HELL are cable companies waiting for. AT&T, Version, Sprint etc are now finally building out networks that are catching up with demand. How amount Comcast, Time Warner, ... maybe...just maybe try and think ahead here and just build out the capacity prior a company releasing a product that belongs in this decade. Please the consumer is begging for a better service. What is going to happen when 2K or 4K TV's go mainstream, companies doesn't even have the proper capacity to stream 1080P yet, were at 720 and have been crawwwwwllllling for a while now. Ahhhh rant over.
You do realize that the "capacity" requires millions of miles of cabling run all over the US, new hubs/stations, and countless billions of dollars? I'd give them a little slack on this one.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion