Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:14 PM   #1
pizz
macrumors regular

iPad mini $250?

$329 iPad mini has wifi + 16gb. Now I can get a maxed out Nexus 7 with wifi, LTE, 32gb for $249.... seems like a no brainer. Until they drop the price to around $250, im finding it harder and harder to justify buying a mini!
pizz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:18 PM   #2
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Ok, get the Nexus 7 then. Not quite sure what the point of this thread is. You don't seem to have a question or need input from anyone, and I'm not sure what kind of discussion you're looking for, if any. There's lots of other threads about this...
sweetbrat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:19 PM   #3
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizz View Post
$329 iPad mini has wifi + 16gb. Now I can get a maxed out Nexus 7 with wifi, LTE, 32gb for $249.... seems like a no brainer. Until they drop the price to around $250, im finding it harder and harder to justify buying a mini!
Apple versus Google ecosystem. If that doesn't bother you, go for it. There are other factors involved obviously but you will have decide which is best for you.

I have a 16gb Nexus 7 and the Mini. I love both!
AppleRobert is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbrat View Post
Ok, get the Nexus 7 then. Not quite sure what the point of this thread is. You don't seem to have a question or need input from anyone, and I'm not sure what kind of discussion you're looking for, if any. There's lots of other threads about this...
business class versus luxury class

that's why you pay extra for the good stuff
Yr Blues is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:24 PM   #5
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Then don't justify it, purchase something else This thread is utterly redundant...
MacRumorUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:30 PM   #6
rojder
macrumors newbie

I have just enough cash for an iPad mini or cheaper. Whatever I get will be my portable computer for the foreseeable future. The Nexus 7 is appealing on paper, but I can't help but see a picture forming the more I read hints or outright exasperation at how cheap and flawed it is.

My original iPod touch is both my enticement and anxiety toward an iPad. On one hand, it is still a superb little device, save for the broken headphone jack. Still feels extremely elegant and comes in handy for various things. Many of my app purchases made over the years will carry over to the mini.

But on the other hand, it has been stuck with an outdated version of the OS for a couple of years now, since Apple dropped support after iOS 4.2, and apps I've purchased have gradually grown incompatible or unusable.

A $330 iPad with 512 mb and an older processor scares me. I'm sure it is an absolute joy to use and runs very smooth today, but it is too easy to imagine the not-too-distant day that iOS and some of my favorite apps leave it in the dust.
rojder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:32 PM   #7
raremage
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It's not for everyone. Enjoy the Nexus if that's what you really want.
raremage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:32 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbrat View Post
Agreed. OP if you find better value in the Nexus 7 and it suits your needs, then get it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:34 PM   #9
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Then buy the Nexus 7. Why in the world would we care?
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:35 PM   #10
pizz
macrumors regular

Just seems Nexus has more bang for the buck which is always the case but even more now the price differences are so huge for what u get. I could maybe justify if it the mini had a retina! but I get that Apple has to introduce a "new" improved mini next year although im sure they could have included one now.
pizz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:35 PM   #11
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post
business class versus luxury class

that's why you pay extra for the good stuff
quit the pretentious snobby upperclass vs. middleclass crap please... you're buying a $300 facebook, angry birds and email machine that was machine manufactured and glued together in a sweatshop factory in china for the general best-buy population who find the $500 price of the bigger model too expensive. a far cry from a 'classy' high-society device aka. $8k Vertu and the likes...

Here's how you break this thing down properly:
Nexus 7: $199 - 16gb Wifi
Ecosystem (iOS advantage): $100 - that's the premium I place on app selection
Better Build quality: $ 50 - Value you can put on the camera + build
Refined OS (smoothness): $ 50 - iOS vs. Jelly Bean.
TOTAL $399
What I think is the value of an iPad Mini. Obviously the value can be higher or less depending on how much you value the ecosystem and OS smoothness.
but this has nothing to do with 'class' and all that narcissistic crap.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:36 PM   #12
Timechaser
macrumors member

Where can I buy a 32GB Nexus 7 with LTE capability for only $250?
Timechaser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:38 PM   #13
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timechaser View Post
Where can I buy a 32GB Nexus 7 with LTE capability for only $250?
The OP misstated the price. It should be $299.

https://play.google.com/store/device..._32gb_hspa_att
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:40 PM   #14
pizz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojder View Post
I have just enough cash for an iPad mini or cheaper. Whatever I get will be my portable computer for the foreseeable future. The Nexus 7 is appealing on paper, but I can't help but see a picture forming the more I read hints or outright exasperation at how cheap and flawed it is.

My original iPod touch is both my enticement and anxiety toward an iPad. On one hand, it is still a superb little device, save for the broken headphone jack. Still feels extremely elegant and comes in handy for various things. Many of my app purchases made over the years will carry over to the mini.

But on the other hand, it has been stuck with an outdated version of the OS for a couple of years now, since Apple dropped support after iOS 4.2, and apps I've purchased have gradually grown incompatible or unusable.

A $330 iPad with 512 mb and an older processor scares me. I'm sure it is an absolute joy to use and runs very smooth today, but it is too easy to imagine the not-too-distant day that iOS and some of my favorite apps leave it in the dust.
I agree.. the old A5 chip and 512 and no retina? cmon if they could squeeze the new tprocessor and retina into an ipod and iphone then why not a mini iPad? I get its all about extending the product cycle and not blowing their load all at one time because in reality they have nothing new or innovative lined up for next year so its just going to be another round of so called "updates"
pizz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:42 PM   #15
MacinTosh.0
macrumors member

Seriously. What's the point of this thread? When has Apple ever lowered its prices on products just to compete with their counterparts? You've been a member since 2007. I'm sure you know the answer to this one.
MacinTosh.0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Timechaser
macrumors member

OK - thanks for clearing up the price issue for me

My next question is - Is there any way that my AT&T unlimited data plan can be transfered from my current iPad to a Nexus 7?
Timechaser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:43 PM   #17
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
quit the pretentious snobby upperclass vs. middleclass crap please... you're buying a $300 facebook, angry birds and email machine that was machine manufactured and glued together in a sweatshop factory in china for the general best-buy population who find the $500 price of the bigger model too expensive. a far cry from a 'classy' high-society device aka. $8k Vertu and the likes...

Here's how you break this thing down properly:
Nexus 7: $199 - 16gb Wifi
Ecosystem (iOS advantage): $100 - that's the premium I place on app selection
Better Build quality: $ 50 - Value you can put on the camera + build
Refined OS (smoothness): $ 50 - iOS vs. Jelly Bean.
TOTAL $399
What I think is the value of an iPad Mini. Obviously the value can be higher or less depending on how much you value the ecosystem and OS smoothness.
but this has nothing to do with 'class' and all that narcissistic crap.
narcissism has nothing to do with my post

it's what it is, built at a higher class of specification

the thinness and beauty makes it luxurious to experience

business class means "just enough to get by" … nothing fancy
Yr Blues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:43 PM   #18
davidjacobs21
macrumors regular

Plus the Nexus 7 doesnt have LTE at 299, only HSPA+
davidjacobs21 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:44 PM   #19
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
I agree.. the old A5 chip and 512? cmon if they could squeeze that into an ipod and iphone then why not a mini iPad? I get its all about extending the product cycle and not blowing their load all at one time because in reality they have nothing new or innovative lined up for next year so its just going to be another round of so called "updates"
Great, you're unhappy. We get it. Get a blog where you can write about it all, buy a Nexus, and move on. It's totally okay and no one here will think differently of you buddy.

And I certainly don't think that the mini is "luxury" and the Nexus is "business" class. Or whatever the freak someone said. /shrug
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:44 PM   #20
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
The Nexus 7 performs quite poorly compared to iPad mini. It's got no camera on the back, the front one is low resolution. It's made of plastic and build quality is craptastic. The main drawback is no video out of any kind. I'd have to reply on Google's wireless features which are poor at best at the moment. Let's not forget that basically every single "tablet" app on Google's ecosystem is basically a blown up smartphone app. It's a poor use of what is already a pretty poor bit of screen real estate. But hey, you get what you pay for. If you buy an Android device, it's obviously inferior to an Apple device. Whatever floats your boat, go for it. The rest of us don't care.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:46 PM   #21
Sensamic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Plus 1GB RAM and HD display.

Oh... And GPS on the WIFI model.

Seriously, Apple? Why do you hate us?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:57 PM   #22
pizz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinTosh.0 View Post
Seriously. What's the point of this thread? When has Apple ever lowered its prices on products just to compete with their counterparts? You've been a member since 2007. I'm sure you know the answer to this one.
Ive been a fan of Apple from back in the day. I dont mind paying a primeum if im getting something better but i just dont see it in the mini

Last edited by pizz; Nov 15, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
pizz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:06 PM   #23
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
The Nexus 7 performs quite poorly compared to iPad mini. It's got no camera on the back, the front one is low resolution. It's made of plastic and build quality is craptastic. The main drawback is no video out of any kind. I'd have to reply on Google's wireless features which are poor at best at the moment. Let's not forget that basically every single "tablet" app on Google's ecosystem is basically a blown up smartphone app. It's a poor use of what is already a pretty poor bit of screen real estate. But hey, you get what you pay for. If you buy an Android device, it's obviously inferior to an Apple device. Whatever floats your boat, go for it. The rest of us don't care.
Wow. You truly are uninformed, aside from the comments about the back camera and lack of video out (although it does stream video via AirPlay-line methods).
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:11 PM   #24
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
But the iPad mini has the on it.

Jokes aside, you are correct. When you compare specs the Nexus 7 beats the iPad mini in almost every way. Processor, screen, storage/price, etc. Now some will argue the App store is better than the Play store. Never used the App store, but to me the Play store apps are more than great.

But the fact remains that the iPad mini starting price of $329 should be at $199 or less. I'd say $149 - $179 with those specs.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:14 PM   #25
sc4rf4c3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post
narcissism has nothing to do with my post

it's what it is, built at a higher class of specification

the thinness and beauty makes it luxurious to experience

business class means "just enough to get by" nothing fancy
Define higher class of specification. Is it made of gold or platinum? Since when being thin make something luxurious. Like what the other guy said cut the crap about this luxury ******.

To the OP if you think the Nexus 7 is a bang for the buck go for it and be happy.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices