Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:52 PM   #1
php111
macrumors regular

What is the most secure way of wiping iPhone 4?

Hey everyone,

Yes, this iPhone will be re-used again after performing this. What is the really most secure way of wiping/erasing the entire iPhone 4 as if it came out of the manufactured again? Will someone please post instructions and details as well. I'm not sure if Erase All Conent and Settings will take care of my original questions? I read that could take several of hours? In my case while performing it that way, it only takes a few minutes. I won't do it that way if and only that won't erase the phone to manufactured settings. I have the iPhone 4 with iOS 6.0.1.

Thank you,
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:28 PM   #2
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Erase all contents and settings will do just fine but be sure to turn iMessages off first.
JayLenochiniMac is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:33 PM   #3
php111
macrumors regular

I always keep iMessanger off, so why does that method doesn't work for me? It takes less then a couple of minutes which doesn't seem right, or does it?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:33 PM   #4
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

just restore it in iTunes stop actin scary lol
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

Restore in iTunes works best. I bought a phone from someone and it still had some pics on there after they erased all content and settings from the phone.
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:36 PM   #6
php111
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
just restore it in iTunes stop actin scary lol

I'm not acting scary. Should I put it in DFU first using redsn0w then use iTunes to restore?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:36 PM   #7
qckslvrsiete
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
Hey everyone,

Yes, this iPhone will be re-used again after performing this. What is the really most secure way of wiping/erasing the entire iPhone 4 as if it came out of the manufactured again? Will someone please post instructions and details as well. I'm not sure if Erase All Conent and Settings will take care of my original questions? I read that could take several of hours? In my case while performing it that way, it only takes a few minutes. I won't do it that way if and only that won't erase the phone to manufactured settings. I have the iPhone 4 with iOS 6.0.1.

Thank you,
As I understand it, (and someone more technical than myself can correct this or explain it better) older iPhones without encryption took several hours to wipe because they were literally going through and erasing the data on the phone. With the newer iPhones having encrypted data, it only takes a few minutes because basically when you erase content and settings, the encryption key is scrambled so that the old data cannot [easily] be read, rendering all your contents and settings effectively unsuable without physically erasing the data sectors.

As an extra "just in case" step whenever I sell my phones, I go ahead and fill the phone to capacity with huge (~4gb) blank mp3 files to actually overwrite the physical data on the phone and then erase content and settings all over again. I repeat this process three or four times. I don't know if it does anything, but it gives me a bit more peace of mind, and only takes about 20-30 minutes longer.
qckslvrsiete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:37 PM   #8
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I'm not acting scary. Should I put it in DFU first using redsn0w then use iTunes to restore?
Just plug it into iTunes and press restore and set-up as new. There.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:37 PM   #9
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
I don't know why you'd waste your time using a program for DFU when you can do it in under 15 seconds manually.

That said, if you're really concerned just format it a few times.

Do you have NSA or FBI level people after you? If not you're way far and away overthinking this. No one is going to disassemble the phone and hook it up to extremely sensitive equipment to try to salvage some of your data.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:40 PM   #10
qckslvrsiete
macrumors regular

I should add that I believe encryption became a feature on iPhones beginning at the 4. I remember the erasing process for my 3g taking literally four or five hours.
qckslvrsiete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:41 PM   #11
tgi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hill View Post
Restore in iTunes works best. I bought a phone from someone and it still had some pics on there after they erased all content and settings from the phone.
NSFW pics?!
tgi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:42 PM   #12
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

yeah dude relax you're an average guy, nobody wants your info (not to sound harsh) just restore it and be done with it.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:52 PM   #13
Mr Hill
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
NSFW pics?!
Haha yeah she actually had a few.
Mr Hill is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone